1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] White Sox @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 1, 2016.

1. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Great turnaround by the team over the last month or so.

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

#win
    #rundiff

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Astros aren't really using Tony Sipp at all right now, when he does pitch, it's almost solely as a LOOGY.

Sipp was a great pitcher the last 2 years when he was being used largely as a regular relief pitcher. Not everybody can handle the LOOGY role, it has to screw with your feel as a pitcher. From what I've seen, he's simply not all that good in the role.

I would like to see him get out there occasionally, particularly given how many comfortable wins we've had here recently. Prior to the 2 bad outings he had, he was performing very well when given regular work. The pen has been so good you can't complain much, but I just don't want to see quality pitchers lost in the fold, I've felt the same way about Devenski who it seems is starting to get more work.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It's tough when they have this many quality pitchers in the bullpen. A guy like Neshek, who was one of the most heavily used pitchers last year, is getting even more infrequent opportunities.

The acquisition of Giles, the emergence of Feliz, and the consistency of Devenski has altered the roles of all the guys from last year... Except Harris. While we all know how Hinch is prone to all the drama about his pen management, other than being slow to take out Gregerson, I think he's done a masterful job.

I agree that Sipp gets better with more consistent appearances. He just has to be better in the ones he gets for now (much like Neshek and Devo have been) in order to be rewarded with more if the pen has fatigue or injury issues.

5. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

music to my hears, agree on both counts, and the thing is that he was warming up yesterday when we were winning by only 1. I prefer to see him a couple of games winning or losing by 4 or more, and then back again in big situations, as i think he is a very good pitcher.

6. the shark

the shark Member

It's a good problem to have. As you mentioned others are pitching well. He wants Hinch to give him the ball...well do something when you get your opportunities.

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's actually kind of weird to me. Every bullpen usually has a punching where people groan when someone enters the game... this one just doesn't. Usually it's one of the long relief guys, but we demote Feldman, and he rocks a sub-1 WHIP as reliever. I trust pretty much all of these guys in any situation.

Where have you gone, Jay Ka-Powell and Fernando Abad?

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

One of the ESPN guys in naming his AL all-star team listed Fernando Abad.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They'll be back as soon as they have a couple of bad games in s row.

Fans perceptions of bullpen guys is so night/day and is riddled with recency bias. Hell, Neshek was thought of as a failed signing due to a stretch last season where he was pitching hurt and needed surgery... Prior to that, he was probably this team's best reliever and has picked right up when healthy this year.

10. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

We always say Neshek is very good vs righties, but struggles vs lefties, so is best to use him in matchups.

Neshek in his career has against him average vs righties .181 OPS .550, that is filthy.
    Vs lefties, .240 and .751, not good as he allows 22 homers in only 470 at bats. Last year lefties hit .279 and OPS of .768, so even worse than career numbers.

This year is even worse, .333 average vs lefties, and OPS of 1.000

So yes, i agree he is pitching good this year, BUT, should be used only against righties, especially in big situations in a game. If we are leading by 4 or less, then he could be used against the lefty.

11. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Astros have certainly had a nice run, but damn...when is the last time the freaking rangers lost a game? We have made zero gains against them.

12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Didn't they just blow 2 games in the bottom of the 9th against the Yankees

13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Or even one bad game, for some

Hell, one bad pitch and some posters declare Hinch an idiot for how he uses the pen lol

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Prior to the last couple of weeks Abad had very good numbers for the Twins. He was listed as that writer's choice since a team has to be represented and Abad would not have been a bad choice as the Twins representative, depending upon the make-up of the team. Dozier's incredible hot streak has put him into the mix along with Nunez.

15. The Beard

That sir would be a fact

Facts are not often used in these parts

16. bobrek

Astros have picked up 1.5 games over the last 3 days.

17. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Hinch can't even warm certain guys up in the pen without some posters freaking out.

18. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

True... lot of amnesiacs this year.

19. The Beard

Fun fact

For his career, left handed hitters are hitting .233 vs Pat Neshek

20. bobrek

Hinch can't even not warm guys up in the pen without some posters freaking out.