1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Week 7 Texans @ Packers

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 15, 2024.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I don't bet but they are.

2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

they are most certainly not going undefeated

3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Funny! I'm looking at KC/SF and SF's offense looks just like the Texans today; 1st down run, 2nd down incomplete pass, 3rd down QB running to get a 1st down.

NO INNOVATION!

Against the good teams, you got to go to another level and think outside the box. The Texans gave this game away today.

1) They played for the FG on their last drive, rather than playing for a TD.

2) They didn't try to mix it up in the 2nd half, they stuck with the run. GB came out after halftime geared up for the run.

3) No quick passes to slow the pass rush

4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

They don't have their starting RB, their 2nd RB is injured, they're missing their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd WR. What exactly are you expecting?

5. Buck Turgidson

If you didn't hear him at first, don't worry, he's assuredly to repeat the exact same thing another 6 times

6. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Noah Brown was able to get open and single handily won us 2 games with Nico out last season. Big shame they kept Steven Sims over him. Also we kept 4 RBs when we dropped Akers anyway.

tierre_brown and A_3PO like this.
  7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I just saw the Chiefs went for it on 4th down and got 7 on San Fran... Chiefs said F that settling for 3 mindset in the 4th. The MVP of that team is the QB not the damn kicker.

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Member

If they came out and threw 3 times after the 2 minute warning, and went for the end zone, I would have had no issues. The fundamental issue I have with Slowik's play calling is that he doesn't enter these situations with any consistency. If you're going for the jugular, then ****ing DO IT and go to the end zone. Running it twice, losing 5 yards, and resorting to a 10 YARD OUT ROUTE (which is designed to stop the clock anyways) on 3rd & 15 is the literally the worst possible combination of plays in that scenario. Run it and force them to use their last timeout, or pass it and go for the TD. No in between.

By the way, there is a MASSIVE difference between having a TO on your final drive, and not. It opens up the whole middle of the field once the clock goes down under 30 seconds, which is exactly how they won the game. Why even give them that option when everything was in your power not to?? This isn't that hard. Clock management is simply using common sense, and setting things up to favor you the most. If it doesn't work out and Green Bay wins by making good/great plays, then so be it. But we didn't even force Green Bay into a difficult position because we handed them the best case scenario. People were CRUSHING Buffalo a couple of weeks ago for doing the same thing against us.

9. Houstunna

Houstunna Mr Graphix
    Supporting Member

Will there be any wins beyond the WC round ??

10. davidio840

davidio840 Member

You don’t win every game in the NFL. This game was very winnable though. GB got all the pressure they wanted and that’s concerning, but our receivers need to get open as well.

Why isn’t Diggs running the slots? If he is, he sucks at it? or Stroud isn’t seeing him. When you’re getting guys in your face all game, short RB routes, screens, short slants, etc. need to be the game plan. Rodger’s and Brady destroyed teams for years doing this.

I guess a positive is we didn’t commit 29471 penalties. Almost had this one with that missed INT at the end. Let’s beat the **** out of the Colts next weekend and put this behind us.

PS- some of my team in my Dallas branch is already talking about how our MNF game will be their Super Bowl.. LOL.. I’ll be there with my Texans gear decked out behind the Cowboys in section C10!

11. Houstunna

Houstunna Mr Graphix
    Supporting Member

Turnovers. Texans were +3.

One fewer takeaway or one giveaway would've had this a 12-point loss.

This was the first +3 TO loss since 2014. Texans had won 15 consecutive of those games.

ROCKSS and solid like this.
  12. Nick

Nick Member

They’re not the Chiefs (yet)…. Stroud isn’t Mahomes (yet).

The Chiefs did have Andy Reid oversee the transition from Smith to Mahomes…. And the offense has continued to evolve organically to play to Mahomes/Kelces/insert WR/RB/WR strengths.

Thats what great offensive minds do. But like I said earlier, Reid also had to grow into the play-caller/offensive innovator role. (Not figuratively). Him getting fired at Philly probably helped with that too. He also used to be terrible at clock management, replay decisions, play-calling late in games.

houstonstime likes this.
  13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Im talking about PLAY CALLING and PHILOSOPHY.

Love Demeco but its like we went from New England South to San Fransico East. The best team in the league is KC, not SF. SF has lost to KC two times in the Super Bowl and they're losing again now. So, why would you build a team similarly to a style that's lost??

I think the problem is Slowick's play calling. When we had all of our weapons, Nico in particular, the offense seemed muddled and still do. Detriot for instance, has just as many weapons as us and they are HUMMING.

Personally, I don't think it's the O-line is a huge problem, as much as it is the PLAY CALLING. The O-line blocked well in the first half for Nixon and EVERYBODY knew GB was going to gear up to stop the run, except Slowick.

Why didn't he try some quick hitters with Tank and Diggs? More screen passes to Nixon? CHANGE UP....THEY SCORED 3PTS, THE WHOLE 2ND HALF

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

At least my QB ain’t the only one sucking :p

27/52
    322 yards
    0 TD 5 INT (Each w/ 1 rush TD)

PM: 16/27 154 yds 2 INT
    BP: 11/25 168 yards 3 INT

jch1911 likes this.
  15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

because only KC has mahomes, hard to build around mahomes without having mahomes. Why don't nba teams build around shaq's lakers? It's because they don't have shaq

16. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Fair on the first part, agreed.

Agree a timeout makes a difference, but I don’t think it’s a big of a difference as you think it is when there is that much time. The middle of the field is still open when there’s 1:40.

17. thejav

thejav Member

Nope. rinse and repeat.

Houstunna likes this.
  18. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

The Texans are going to have -50 passing yards against the Chiefs.

This offense is so exploitable unless CJ and Slowik make some adjustments.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Agus Mentz? Never heard of her.

[​IMG]

20. Buck Turgidson

The KC offense is a well-oiled machine. I'd about trust them going for it on 4th and 20

ROCKSS likes this.