1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Week 2 Colts @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 12, 2023.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Then we wouldn’t have a franchise pass rusher.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

So?

marks0223 likes this.
  3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Maybe, maybe no?

4. Buck Turgidson

Not being a total b*stard (yet), but where are these posts from you over the offseason that were begging for OL signings?

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's between Will Anderson and Marvin Harrison Jr basically.

I do think Will Anderson is a better DE prospect than the 2024 class at least.

I was for the move when it happened too so I'll stubbornly stick with it.

6. Buck Turgidson

I'll take my Maybe Money on Anderson. He's as close to a no-miss guy as you can get.

7. conquistador#11

Another game they shot themselves in a main artery. That play where the LT lined up just a tad bit behind. One guy does it blatantly and the league goes crazy in week 2 calling illegal formation. That would have been 1st down at the 5 yard line.
    Then, the touchdown to Dell negated b/c the tackle was holding.

And it's like they had only prepared for AR. Once a pocket passer stepped in, the defense folded. Oh no, the ball is travelling 15 yards in the air, what do we do?

Shark44, rusHour and Buck Turgidson like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Texans surrendered six sacks and eight tackles for loss, which included a sack-fumble that helped the Colts build an insurmountable two-score lead early in the first quarter. Rookie quarterback C.J. Stroud, who was himself questionable with a shoulder injury, attempted to stage a late comeback. But even a promising fourth-quarter drive stalled with a sack.

The majority of Houston’s offensive production occurred in the second half. First-time offensive coordinator Bobby Slowik’s system was limited to 129 first-half yards, eventually inflating to 389 total yards at 4.9 yards per play. The Texans failed to establish their run game for a second straight week with 52 total rushing yards (2 yards per carry). Dameon Pierce had 31 yards on 15 carries.

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Call me crazy, but WR is a far lesser issue than pass rush. The pass rush was almost nonexistent today, and has been for a few years now.

#869 Two Sandwiches, Sep 17, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2023
  10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Personally, I think an elite pass rushing prospect is more valuable than an elite WR prospect, but it’s an interesting discussion.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

DeMeco Ryans says CJ Stroud “continues to fight no matter what odds are stacked up against him,” and added CJ “has a winning mindset.”

DeMeco Ryans on the passing game: "We had to throw it, they knew we were throwing it, and our guys continued to make plays."

DeMeco Ryans says the QB change for the Colts “didn’t change” the #Texans defensive gameplan. Says they knew what the Colts wanted to. Just have to have “tighter coverage,” and make tackles.

DeMeco Ryans: "There's too many self-inflicted wounds, things that we can control. We can control those better and not help the other team."

DeMeco Ryans: "We gave them four (opportunities) in the red zone, and they scored four touchdowns."

When asked how C.J. Stroud hurt his shoulder, DeMeco Ryans only says, he's "fine."

“C.J. did a really good job managing the offense... I'm encouraged by C.J.'s play. He got better this week."

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Right, I think the salaries we see given out show that too. Having an elite pass rushing guy can carry a defense (as we well know with Watt) while having an elite WR guy doesn't matter if you can't get the ball to him...as we also well know with having Andre Johnson all those years.

I favor the pass rusher every time.

14. ReliantTexan

ReliantTexan Member

Between Will Anderson and Marvin Harrison Jr plus whoever we would have gotten with the 12th and 33rd overall pick this year. I like Anderson as a player but throwing in our first rounder next year was just stupid.

15. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Lovie put on a coaching clinic against Jeff Saturday in the finale last year, how soon we forget.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Great point.

TheFreak likes this.
  17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I think the trade was really to be able to get Stroud in addition to Anderson even though they took him first.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

20. Buck Turgidson

He lined up a solid yard behind where he needed to be.