1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ official ] Trump for president 2024

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Roc Paint, Nov 27, 2020.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

No need to be charitable. She apologized for this remark she made shortly after she was sworn in:

"Hitler was right on one thing: He said, ‘Whoever has the youth, has the future.’ Our children are being propagandized.”

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The 'enemy of my enemy is my friend' concept dates back to the beginning of time.

I am simply not a fan of team politics and there is nothing wrong with hoping both teams fail.

Roc Paint likes this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Roc Paint likes this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course if Trump is found guilty of sedition, he won't be allowed to hold office again.

DaDakota likes this.
  6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think that's true at all. Of course you get some self-serving ones. But like we've seen from self-serving allies of Trump, there's often some Trump over-reach that they're too morally disgusted with to endorse. It takes them a couple of weeks to rationalize and accept Trump's transgressions. Lindsay Graham is a good example of that. And you get the ideologues who tell themselves they've come to fix Washington, and sure they may make compromises along the way, but it's all in service of expanding their chosen ideology. That's maybe a Rand Paul. And you get patriotic types who tell themselves they'll do whatever is best for the country and that whatever they do is the best thing for the country. I'd put Liz Cheney here. As slimy as they may be, the great majority of our politicians are not toxic narcissists like Trump.

Voting out of spite is the voice of the unheard. :p

Maybe when she speaks at different events those two words go together so often that they are now idiomatically paired in her brain. In any case, overturning Roe did little for white life. With higher median family incomes, white girls will still mostly be able to get to California for abortions. It's the brown and black girls who'll struggle to find the money and end up keeping the baby.

ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  7. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

If trump does run......and that's a big if, Biden has a shot to win because so many people hate trump. DeSantis is better off running on his own, I think he would be the clear favorite...........I am not a fan of his but I can see the base getting behind him IF trump signs off on it, otherwise the base will splinter

I don't want Biden to run again but I don't see anyone stepping up............as another poster said in a different thread, what exactly does the gop have to offer to get the country back on track, I never hear them come up with a plan, its just rhetoric about what they dont like Biden is doing.......just like trump who always moaned about Obamacare but NEVER came up with a plan that would be better.

Biden has done nothing to warrant all the BS but the buck stops with him and we need to get back on track, I am to afraid to even look at my 401K

8. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Its funny because Biden only won because people were so done with Trump. Not because he had anything tamgible or exiciting to offer. In some ways hes more align with the GOP stance of being an opposition to something than an actual politician or leader.

ROCKSS likes this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Agreed with why Biden won, but he did have a lot of plans especially dealing with the raging pandemic. And his plans worked. So very different than not having any plans.

But most people don't have the inclination to really look at politicians plans.

ROCKSS likes this.
  10. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

Point taken.

It may just be me, but the 2020 election feels like a lifetime ago. Early covid feels like forever ago as well...but Ive also moved states 3 times in that span.

Ubfortunately I think any pandemic success is long forgotten by most voters; and thats assuming people credit policies or even believed in it in the first place.

My big fear is that colder weather cooncides with an uptick in cases and everyone will say "see? they made it up to steal Trumps election" and we wont have learned a damn thing when the next one comes. Which is likely going to be sooner rather than later with a lack of trust in piblic health, increasing anti-vaxx sentiment (especially among my generation), and as we continue to shape ecology through urbanization and climate change

ROCKSS and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

I think @B-Bob, on 2016 election eve, said that we were headed for a time where people would dosregard science for superstition (and Im aware of the iromy of that coming from me)

12. dmoneybangbang

Both teams failing doesn't automatically lead to some centrist or rational realignment. If anything, I think history has shown that is leads to more extremism.

TheJuice and durvasa like this.
  13. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

I feel like most people say theyre a centerist and just "voting for the lesser evil" but really are just partisans.

jiggyfly and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

It's too early for the Dems to have people stepping up. I personally think Biden isn't going to run in 2024, so I think mid to late 2023 is when we start seeing the field emerge.

As far as Trump... I don't see him running in 2024. If the GOP were smart they'd let him run the RNC or something to appease his fragile ego. Otherwise, Trump is the type of person to punish the GOP and try and split support to someone like DeSantis.

rocketsjudoka, jiggyfly and ROCKSS like this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

I do believe there are quite a few folks that are "centrists" in the sense they support both liberal and conservative policies, but there are certainly "centrists" that are very partisan but not to the extremist sense.

jiggyfly likes this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's happening

Trump Eyes Early 2024 Announcement as Jan. 6 Scrutiny Intensifies
    Donald Trump has accelerated his campaign planning, hoping a White House bid will blunt a series of damaging revelations. Some Republicans are worried.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/01/us/politics/trump-republicans-campaign-2024.html?smid=url-share

excerpt:

Republicans are bracing for Donald J. Trump to announce an unusually early bid for the White House, a move designed in part to shield the former president from a stream of damaging revelations emerging from investigations into his attempts to cling to power after losing the 2020 election.

While many Republicans would welcome Mr. Trump’s entry into the race, his move would also exacerbate persistent divisions over whether the former president is the party’s best hope to win back the White House. The party is also divided over whether his candidacy would be an unnecessary distraction from midterm elections or even a direct threat to democracy.

Mr. Trump has long hinted at a third consecutive White House bid and has campaigned for much of the past year. He has accelerated his planning in recent weeks just as a pair of investigations have intensified and congressional testimony has revealed new details about Mr. Trump’s indifference to the threat of violence on Jan. 6 and his refusal to act to stop an insurrection.

The timing of a formal announcement from Mr. Trump remains uncertain. But he recently surprised some advisers by saying he might declare his candidacy on social media without warning even his own team, and aides are scrambling to build out basic campaign infrastructure in time for an announcement as early as this month.

That timing would be extraordinary — presidential candidates typically announce their candidacies in the year before the election — and could have immediate implications for Republicans seeking to take control of Congress in November. Mr. Trump’s presence as an active candidate would make it easier for Democrats to turn midterm races into a referendum on the former president, who since losing in 2020 has relentlessly spread lies about the legitimacy of the election. Some Republicans fear that would distract from pocketbook issues that have given their party a strong advantage in congressional races.

“Republicans want to win badly in 2022, and it is dawning on many of them that relitigating the 2020 election with Trump’s daily conspiracy diatribes are sure losers,” said Dick Wadhams, a Republican strategist and former chairman of the Colorado Republican Party.

The former president’s team remains divided over whether he should even run again. Those opposed to a third White House bid have expressed concerns ranging from doubts about Mr. Trump’s remaining political potency to questions about whether he can articulate a clear rationale for running and avoid a repeat of 2020.

Others are urging Mr. Trump to take his time. Donald Trump Jr., his eldest son, has taken a more central role in Mr. Trump’s inner circle of political advisers and has told others that he wants his father to install a more expansive campaign team around him in preparation for a run.
    more at the link

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Another you know the hearings have been effective. He's probably hoping that if he's a leading candidate, the AG will think it's more damaging to prosecute so may opt not to.

Also with DeSantis closing in, he needs something to ramp up his profile.

The fact that he is worried is a good thing. Him running for President is a bad thing

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Trump declaring he's going to run again will ramp up the pressure for the DOJ to prosecute. It will focus in many's minds that not only was Trump a danger to democracy but will be one again. It will also accelerate the timetable for any such prosecution. Trump declaring now doesn't make him the nominee of the Republican party as they still have primaries and being a candidate, or nominee, doesn't provide immunity from prosecution.

19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

And away we go