1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Titans @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 25, 2022.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So just let them be garbage next year too?

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good question. Will they fix it?

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Where did Allen come up in my post? AND, there is no reason to play Allen.

4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

5yrs and counting

5. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

At this point we are in it for the long game. The defense is abysmal and really shouldn't be this bad, but coaching is not a strength of this team. Lovie at least can handle press conferences without having an aneurysm.

BigShasta likes this.
  6. STR8Thugg

No, at some point we need to have success or the draft picks won't develop properly. Can't just tank every year.

7. STR8Thugg

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

None of the other 31 teams would have hired McCown either which would have been the selection if it hadn’t been for the Brian Flores issue.

HillBoy likes this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. a time to chill

I'm for cleaning house. Honestly, coaches getting fired (regime changes) is one of the few joys and excitement that comes with being a Texans fan along with getting a high 1st round draft pick.

But...

Caserio is on his second coaching hire so he should be fired too if Smith is fired. Caserio and the Texans told us all along that he had all the power in these head coaching hires and that Easterby wasn't involved in football decisions. If Smith is fired after one year while Caserio gets to hire a 3rd coach, it again speaks volumes about how dysfunctional this franchise is.

BigShasta likes this.
  11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The McNair’s have never been able to completely clean house which is why it’s been Game of Thrones on Kirby going back to Casserly.

12. HstnSprtsFan101

This was the first game in a really long time, if ever that I just turned the tv off before halftime. Horrible isn’t even a strong enough word. Completely unwatchable.

the11mingdynasty likes this.
  13. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think that's unfair to caserio. First of all it was widely acknowledged that culley was more of a easterby and McNair hire but let's assume he wasn't. Lovie was not hired with him being a long term solution, he was clearly the only option after the lawsuit, a punt so to speak until the following year.
    This year was his first draft and I think he did a really good job, Watson trade was pretty decent too so what has he really done wrong.

14. a time to chill

He bungled the process for two coaching hires. Whether Easterby was involved is irrelevant. Caserio is the GM and holds the accountability. Also, I'm not a fan of how wasteful he is of draft picks. Spending a 3rd round pick on Davis Mills, trading 3 picks to move up and draft John Metchie who isn't playing this year, trading two picks to move up to get Christian Harris, etc. The team has needs everywhere so spending valuable draft capital on guys that may not pan out doesn't make much sense. Caserio should not avoid blame for the position the Texans are in now. I'm not saying he should be fired at the end of the season. I'm saying it's not fair to fire Lovie after 1 season like they did David Culley and retain Caserio.

HillBoy likes this.
  15. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

That was by far the worst game I have seen the Texans play, how pathetic is the defense right now that the opposing QB doesn't even have to pass in the second half..............you know what's coming, but you can't even stop it. That was unwatchable and I hate to think what the Eagles will do on a short week. Did we actually take a step back from last year?

B-Bob likes this.
  16. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I don't think it's his fault that the guy they wanted filed a lawsuit against the NFL and the back up guy was a inexperienced white coach who would have further added fuel to the lawsuit. I think he got backed into a corner due to the circumstances to hire lovie. He was there, his defense did ok last year and he is a respected coach whose hire would be hard for anyone to point a finger at

17. a time to chill

I don’t think they were ever going to hire Flores. They were going to hire McCown and then pivoted to Smith when Flores filed the lawsuit. They could’ve still hired Flores despite the lawsuit. In fact, it’s against the law to not hire someone because they have filed a discrimination lawsuit against another employer. This is why Flores added the Texans to his lawsuit after they made their coaching decision because it’s obvious that his lawsuit disqualified him as a potential candidate for the job.

The fact remains that Caserio has had the opportunity to search for two coaches and in both cases he did not have a process to seek out the best coach for the job. He let Easterby and other internal politics interfere. Why should we trust that the 3rd time will be any different?

HillBoy likes this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Gave up 314 yards rushing to a team that was starting a QB in his very first NFL game! LOL

Lovie aint no Belichek when it comes to defense thats for sure. Whats Romeo Crennel doing these days? :rolleyes:

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This may mark the first time I've ever seen someone use cancer as a reason why GM has done a bad job. How dare he not foresee that diagnosis in a healthy, 20 something year old highly skilled athlete!

You stockpile draft picks not just to use them but to have the flexibility to trade up to get the guys you want. The #108 and #124 picks weren't going to net you some all-world guy. Was he the wrong guy to trade up for? Maybe. But we don't know that yet BECAUSE THE GUY HAS CANCER.

Cannonball likes this.
  20. a time to chill

I'm not using cancer as a reason for firing Caserio. I'm saying that he's making gambles with valuable draft picks that aren't paying off. The NFL is about results. Caserio should've known he was taking a risk by drafting Metchie because he was recovering from an ACL injury. He's a good pick, but it probably wasn't worth 3 draft picks to trade up for him. Also, how's Christian Harris working out? He had a terrible game yesterday and Caserio traded up 2 picks for him.

Also, one of the biggest sins by Caserio in my opinion was not bringing in a veteran QB to compete with Davis Mills for the starting QB job. It's past time to bench Davis Mills, but we have nobody to replace him with. There were some QBs they could've gone after in free agency for insurance in case Davis Mills didn't work out.

Lovie can only do so much with this garbage roster Caserio provided him with. This is why it doesn't make sense to me to fire Lovie while giving Caserio a pass.

Anyways, I think now their plan is tank for a QB next year now that Davis Mills has proven himself unqualified, and that Lovie will be given a chance to stick around for the new QBs development.