1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Titans @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Nov 17, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yes, that is true, he does not fumble it all that much when sacked....

And Joe Montana could run, he was a great passer, John Elway could run, he was a great passer, Fran Tarkington could run, he was a great passer, Steve Young could run, and he was a great passer.

And I am not necessarily talking about running, how about moving around nimbly in the pocket to avoid the rush like Ben Roethlesberger does?

Shaub seems to have a propensity to stepping up into a tackle, he did it on 2 of his sacks last night....just slide left or right....for once.

DD

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

I hear you but take a moment and think about what that would entail. At a minimum, it would take 2 years for a new coach to get his staff in place and the type of team he wants on the field. Most likely it would take another 3 years. Now, it's 2012 - are you willing to wait that long for results? Also, this is an owner who will have made 2 straight failed coaching hires. What makes you think that he'll get it right the 3rd time around?

3. msn

msn Member

...that's just stupid.

4. MadMax

MadMax Member

See I disagree entirely with this. This was true when we were 2-14 and had zero personnel the new regime wanted to really hold on to...but that's not the case anymore. This isn't inheriting a 2-14 disaster...it's grabbing on to a good team and building on it.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

When I say "the great passers" I mean today's best.

He is in the bottom 25% of QBs in the league when it comes to avoiding the rush no doubt, but you got to give something to get something. And I love what he gives us in return.

If you're in love with sweet feet and an accurate arm, you should hear about this dude named Case Keenum :grin:

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

Well, I think they have a "puncher's" chance on Sunday but what concerns me is how shakey the Colts have looked in their last two games. Peyton has certainly not looked like the Peyton of old in throwing those picks. Knowing Peyton, Sunday might be the day he shakes himself out of his midseason funk. The Colts are playing for home field throughout the playoffs so I don't expect they to suffer a letdown. It will help the Texans because they will be facing a team that is much like themselves: one that doesn't run the ball well at all.

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

But Max, unless they bring in Mike Shanahan, the next coach is most certainly going to adopt a different offensive philosophy (read no ZBS, different offensive linemen & running backs). Particularly when you see how anemic their rushing attack has been since training camp, the next head coach will be under pressure to correct that situation. And that's going to take a year or 2 maybe even 3. Also, don't forget that while the Texans are reconstructing themselves (AGAIN), the other teams in the division won't be standing idly by waiting for them to make these changes. It would not surprise me if it's 2012 before we see any significant progress from a new coaching regime.

8. Major

Major Member

Why do people keep saying that? Did Tomlin rebuild the Steelers? Did Dungy rebuild the Colts? Did Gruden rebuild the Bucs? New coaches, if they are good, simply add on to what the previous coach(es) did.

Can you name a single time where a coach game into an average team and intentionally took it back a step or two to rebuild it in his own image?

9. Major

Major Member

So wait - you're complaining that a new coach would come in and try to fix something that isn't working? That's a bad thing? :confused: If the ZBS isn't working as is, who cares if they scrap it?

10. rhester

rhester Member

Coaching.

Simple as that.

And a kicker who is tight and losing it.

Dear Texan Coaching Staff:

1. What is the world is the deal with Chris Brown playing that much?????
    We lost alot of our offensive creativity and big play potential not playing Slaton and Moats (unless Moats was injured)
    That was not smart putting Brown in, he is OK to fall forward for 2-3 yards but he can't get to the corner and he isn't a game breaker at any time- that got away from our offense and you don't experiment with an old worn out vet in a big game like that.
    2. What in the world were you thinking not forcing Vince Young to beat you with his arm. Time and time again we rushed Young like he was a pocket passer waiting to be sacked, and we left him huge run lanes over and over. Dudes, you have to scheme for Young- realize he is confused by coverages (so you might want to try and confuse him with coverages- duh) and then use your line man in more controlled rushes to contain him to the pocket.
    Listen Mr. Kubiak Vince Young cannot beat this team with his arm. He tore you up with his runs which sustained drives and kept Tenn in the game.
    3. Chris Johnson, Chris Johnson, Chris Johnson- this is the 3 pronged attack of the offense- he is their only legit weapon.- Make someone else beat you, go man coverage on the receivers and put every effort into containment.
    With concentration and a good run scheme he could have been stopped.
    4. You game planned your passing attack poorly and it is the strength of the team. You slow the pass rush with quick 3-4 yard passes, hit the backs more on short routes, set up the passes down field with quick hitters. And if they are on the line jamming Andre Johnson then send him long more.
    5. The next time Dante Robinson covers a receiver well without an interference call will be the first time he's earned a paycheck. He is not near the coverage corner he was pre-surgery. He dropped an interception and he let Britt eat his lunch all night.

Please forward this to new coach next year. :)

And to Kris Brown- unless we make the playoffs on your winning field goal against New England thanks for the memories. :grin:

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

the issue (with cowher) is the ZBS and a (likely) switch to a new defensive philosophy. our OL isn't built to run a more traditional offense and our defense is not built to be a 3-4. those would both require a pretty extensive overhaul.

tomlin, iirc, kept most of cowher's assistants (specifically labeau - tomlin was NOT, iirc, a 3-4 guy). gruden, iirc, kept monte kiffin in TB.

12. MadMax

MadMax Member

i still don't think that means we're 3 years away from being a contender, necessarily. i don't think it's entirely an either/or proposition.

we're judging what it would look like based on what it looked like with holes all over our roster.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

These calls for Kubiak's head make me LOL.

We sound like the Titans fans yapping about Fisher 4 weeks ago.

Perspective fail.

14. Major

Major Member

Maybe so - but the ZBS isn't working, which is one of the problems the team has. Any good coach is going to keep what's working. Yes, he's had a 3-4 in the past. He's also only coached one team and did so for a very long time. There's nothing in his history to suggest that he's incapable of building around his players.

Both Cowher's OC and DC left for Arizona. Not really sure about the lower-tier people. But yes, that's a perfect example of coaches coming in and keeping what's working.

Again - can anyone name a time where a coach came in and intentionally took a part of a team that was doing well and regressed it in order to remold it in their style? The only example I can think of recently is McDaniels with the Cutler thing, but even that wasn't intentional - it was just a mismanaged mess that forced them into tough decisions.

It seems to me that people that say Cowher would do that is selling him short. He's a hall of fame coach; I think he gets the benefit of the doubt that he could take over a good team and not take it back several steps.

15. Major

Major Member

Whoops - this isn't right. the DC stayed, so I'm not sure where I got that from. But if I remember right, Whisenhunt took some of the old Steelers coaches - it was a big part of how he built the new attitude in Arizona.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Well, to be fair, we aren't exactly coming off a 13-win season.

We really should wait to see how the rest of the year plays out before we call for the coaches head, though.

17. emjohn

emjohn Member

So upset with last night. Plenty of that having to do with my flying home from Colorado exhausted (and dehydrated), grinding my way to the game in a 2 hr nightmare, and getting treated to that horrific finish. A rout would have been so much better, so I could have left early and blacked out instead of needing another 90 minutes to leave with the masses. Awful.

I'm not going to whine about the defense. Maybe it's a minority opinion, but we faced a near-unstoppable running attack and came away with only 20 points put up against us. The Oily Titans are using Vince in the perfect way for a Vick-esque QB - wildcats, options, and boots. We have a subpar D-Line that depends heavily on the LB corps to make up for edge containment, but a Vince + Johnson combo are simply to overwhelming for our personnel. Like it or not. We sent in Pollard most of the night, but that's all you can afford to sacrifice when Young was hitting his wide open targets and Dunta was getting his lunch eaten (yet again). We overplay the run anymore and Washington gets behind the secondary, and we're here going ape over it. We didn't allow a second half TD. The defense isn't the goat.

ONCE AGAIN, our offense shows up for only one half of play. Captain Insightful keeps on telling the BBS that he isn't concerned about this 2-quarter-offense since we squirt out plenty of points. Not this time. We leave 4 points on the field because we can't capitalize on 1st and goal from the 8. We squander great field position with 3 & outs. The offense faced a depleted secondary and did not take advantage. The offense did not do enough to win.

Kris Brown.....indefensible. However, once again, we're lementing a failed attempt to TIE a game at the end - not a game winner. Leaving the 4 points on the field earlier was at least as pivotal in the loss.

Bye, bye, wild card. Thanks for never rising to the occasion, Texans. We should know better by now.

How so? We're a team that, all season, all last season, had a habit of not putting things together and falling short. Our record in close games is unacceptable, and is the top reason we continue to miss the playoffs. Teams adopt the personality of their coach, and our team simply lacks Want and Drive.

Kubiak is a top offensive mind, but I no longer believe he can get this team any further than a brief Wild Card stay. He's helped build a capable roster, but he's absolutely not getting anything near the best out of it, and the number one responsibility of any coach is pulling the maximum out of his team. There are far worse coaches out there, but if we stay with Kubiak, we resign ourselves to also-ran pretender status, in my opinion.

18. sammy

sammy Member

Playing Chris Brown's candy arse made me LOL. Well not really but you get my drift.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

The run game as a whole has made me LOL all year :(

20. sammy

sammy Member

It seems like we haven't been establishing the run enough. In the past, I felt like we ran the ball too much.

I thought Slaton ran the ball fairly well last night. I really would like to see us bring in a feature back since they have reduced Slaton's workload significantly.