1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Tigers @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 26, 2009.

1. ApuN

ApuN Member

Still cant believe there are people actually paying attention to these last place wankers.

I salute you...

2. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Some people in this world aren't just front-runners but true fans

3. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Yea pulling Carlos for a better defensive replacement has been the routine with the Stros for quite some time but I think they might want to leave him in there a few games and see how that goes. I mean, if he can get through 8 innings out there in the field I can live with having him out there for one more just to keep his bat (one of our best offensive weapons) in the lineup for insurance

4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I don't take much consolation in it but the Brewers, Cardinals, Cubs and Pirates all lost today as well. We would have leapfrogged the Cubs with a win and been only 2 games back of 1st place in the loss column.

National League Central
    Team             W       L       Pct       GB       Diff       L10
    Milwaukee       40      35      .533        -         +3        4-6
    St. Louis       41      36      .532        -        +20        5-5
    Cincinnati      37      37      .500       2½        -11        4-6
    Chicago         35      37      .486       3½          0       4-6
    Houston         35      38      .479        4        -30        6-4
    Pittsburgh      35      40      .467        5         +6       4-6

5. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I can't disagree with a word. However, I do not believe this team will see a meaningful September game (except as a 'spoiler') this season, or for a while unless and until they make some wholesale changes.

It would be nice if you're spot-on. I just believe otherwise.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

That is the conundrum. Sure, winning kicks all but getting kicked and kicked just plain sucks.

Yes, I want the 'stros to win. I just believe it will take a step back to make a couple of giant steps forward - and who has a harder head than Uncle Draytie? He needs a kick in the reality shin IMHO.

8. RHostetler82

RHostetler82 Member

a shame to drop today's game, but it was pretty sweep to grab a series against a good tigers team.

on a side note, valverde doesn't look too hot out there these days. i say take your chances with hawkins/a committee and then trade papa grande for a few good prospects.

9. Hmm

Hmm Member

hallelujah..

10. BrooksBall

Valverde has been excellent for the most part since coming off the DL.

11. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

very disappointed today with the blown save and blown soccer game. I really want to get back to .500 before the break!

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

yeah me too. 0 for 2 today :eek:

valverde blew another save not too long ago, but he will probably get it rolling again like last season

13. BrooksBall

That was the game where Berkman let a ground ball go through his legs. If Berkman doesn't commit that error, it's 2 outs and no men on. Valverde didn't pitch well after the error but it didn't help the situation.

Before today, Valverde hadn't given up an ER in 8.1 innings.

Since coming off the DL, he's pitched 7.1 innings, giving up only 5 hits and no HRs. During that same period, he's struck out 8 batters and walked only 1.

So, coming into today, he had a WHIP under 1.00 and an ERA of 0.00 since coming off the DL.

Aside from the statistics, I've watched every one of his outings and he's looked very, very good since returning which makes me all the more confused as to how he couldn't find the plate after getting ahead of Thames, 1-2, with 2 outs and no men on base.

14. Hmm

Hmm Member

interesting.. well, write off me off as a "spoiled" pitching fan.. and/or a "sexy pitch" enthusiast.. or what have you..

but, there's just something about Valverde's approach on the mound.. and his pitches of uncertain quality.. that just screams "unreliable" to me at worst, and "shaky" at best..

15. BrooksBall

You know what, I actually feel the same way. I wasn't entirely defending Valverde's abilities, mostly just what he's done since coming off the DL. The fact is that he's been pitching well for a couple of weeks.

I actually posted a question in another thread a week or two ago asking other posters if Valverde's delivery looks highly repeatable. Something just makes me wonder how he finds any consistency with the way he throws/releases the ball so I totally understand where you're coming from.

At the same time, he seems to be able to get the job done much more often than not. I'm not against trading him but I wouldn't make the case for it solely based on tonight's game.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Another blown save. :mad:

Only the Nationals have more.