1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Tigers @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 26, 2009.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i hate to sound like biggio, but that's baseball. over 162 you're going to win some you have no business winning and lose some you have no business losing.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And let's not forget, had they won an additional game or two against the Royals, then the future would have changed and there is no guarantee they would have won any against the Tigers.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

If these guys reach, and maintain, .500, do they become a more hope evoking squad?

Or, are you like me hoping for some hard knocks to send Uncle Draytie into seller's mode and rebuild with a real future?

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I've never hoped to suck. There's a right way and a wrong way of doing things. When you have these thoughts of tanking and rebuilding, just remember the Pirates and Royals have been rebuilding for over 2 decades. I think we're starting to see, slowly, that the minors are being rebuilt and that there can be hope for the future without completely sucking today.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...there is no better time being a baseball fan when your team is in contention in September. That's still a ways off, but meaningful September baseball is one of my favorite things in sports.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

they're already hope-evoking. they're 4 games out with just a few days left in June. meanwhile, we're still drafting and signing draft picks. my hope is that we continue to put out an entertaining squad at the major league level while building up the farm.

absolutely not...i'm not hoping for an awful season of astros baseball so that MAYBE the young guys we trade for can be good someday later.

6. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I understand the fear. We finally got some noises out of Drayton that he is going to have to learn to be "patient" and the fear is that a pennant race will convince him to stand pat if we get a good offer for a veteran or worse trade away what little farm system we have for another aging vet in the hope of making another run.

The Astros have had some serious deficiencies even during 05' when we won the National League..but Clemens, Andy and the 05' Roy can cover up a lot.

Drayton has a history of spending money on big names (esp with Texas connections) then skimping in other areas of huge import to winning games but of less interest to the casual fan.

But no, I can never root for the Astros to do anything but Win Win Win...and I just hope Ed Wade actually has brought the idea home to Drayton that you can't mortgage everything to chase the Wild Card every year.

7. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Stupid fan cost us a run!

8. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

A fan likely just cost the Astros a run. It could be 3-0 instead of 2-0.

9. BrooksBall

I agree. It's hard to say for sure how the ball would have bounced but it actually may have been even easier for Lee to score if he didn't touch it.

10. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Yeah that's a good point. If I were there sitting by him, I would be all over that guy!

11. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

As always I think the #1 option is that the they play better and make the playoffs

The 2nd best option is to fall completely out of the race early eliminating any false perception that may harm the team's future and allowing them to restock the farm system through trades, more money, and higher draft picks.

The absolute worst option is that through randomness (or luck) they hang around convicing management they they can compete this year only to fall out of the race in the 2nd half after the deadline.

I'm afraid option 2 and 3 are much more likely than option 1. If they don't make the playoffs then at the end of the day a 79 win team is not more fun to watch than a 70 win team. But, as backwards as it sounds, a 70 win team is probably much better for the team's success going forward than a 79 win team.

12. BrooksBall

Ortiz isn't the type to pitch deep often but he went 7 last game and will go at least 7 today.

If Hampton comes back strong, Ortiz and Paulino seem to deserve the last 2 spots in the rotation as of now. What do they do with Moehler? Put him in the pen in case any of our 3 through 5 falters?

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

can't believe blum made it all the way around there. matsui's been playing some great ball since coming back.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So Cooper allows Ortiz to bat with a runner on 3rd and then takes him out after retiring the first batter in the 8th. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Either pinch hit or let him keep pitching.

15. BrooksBall

It was very odd. I understand that Ortiz is a decent hitter but you have a chance to extend the lead with a base hit. Then, he only lets him face Adam Everett before pulling him?

16. BrooksBall

Valverde had Thames in a 1-2 count then didn't throw another strike.

All of a sudden, we're down 1.

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

i saw that coming. this team just rips your heart out.

18. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

What a sickener. Valverde had to be more aggressive with 2 strikes. Can't afford to walk that guy there with only a 1 run lead ffs

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

get something for valverde now, and piece together your saves for the rest of the year.

3 sickening, inexcusable losses this homestand.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Bring back Lidge :(