1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Official Thread on Yao Ming's Summer Activities 2006

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Apr 25, 2006.

1. gorockets_2006

This is just your view. Please don't say it as if you are Yao.

2. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

I don't know HOW you get that idea with you, since I have been reporting for past 3 years on Yao Ming's summer activities on YMM.

If missing some of those pre-tournament exhibition games or missing 2 ~ 3 weeks close-door trainings of the national team are what you meant by "subtle" way of Yao Ming trying to shun his responsibility, then maybe YES.

But last year, he also had a major injury during summer, and he worked hard to rehabilitate, played and led the national team to win the Asian Championship, and therefore qualify for this year's World Championship.

If Yao Ming does want to shun his responsibility to represent his country to play in the summer, he could just not give his best, not work hard to regain his competitive form and shape and not lead China to win the Asian Championship, and there will then be no need for playing in this year's World Championship.

So very flawed logic on your part about Yao Ming wanting to shun playing for China during summer.

3. MandM's

MandM's Member

First of all...

1. What does YOH mean?
    2. I never said anything like "the regime in China sucks".
    3. I did not compare Yao to Sam Bowie (talent wise). I only brought Sam Bowie and Yao up in the same breath because BOTH sustained injuries that were/could be career threatening. Sam Bowie is one of the few NBA players that sustained an injury on court that ended his career. And while you make jokes about Sam Bowie today, there is no way to tell what kind of career he could have had, because at the time he had enormous potential. Not saying that he would be as good as Yao or even in the same category, but he was a player that people thought would have a good career (but it was ended by injury / then reinjured).

And so is Yao. Until last season (not really before) Yao was questioned as per his potential. No one here can argue that. He had a great year last year, and now he is in a category of players that more is expected from. I think he will be one of the NBA's best big men. One of the best in time. Not the best or top 2 or 3 (I don't want to start getting snips from Yao haters). But I think he will have a significant career that will be remembered and was never truly expected at his beginning (NBA).

So the Sam Bowie statement was only in that context. If Yao sustains another injury as a result of rushing back, he could very well shorten or end his career.

I could have just as easily mentioned the player for the NJ Nets (Jayson Williams?) who broke his leg on the court and was never the same.

And I didn't have a straight face when I mentioned Sam Bowie. My eyes were crossed and I had my tongue out. If you could have seen me you would have known, and I probably wouldn't be writing an explanation right now.

4. MandM's

MandM's Member

P.S.

I don't hate China either.

I've never been there and have no desire to go there, but I don't hate it.

In fact, I have no opinion of China one way or the other.

Never really thought about it.

I do hate Oakland though. Been there. Don't want to go back. Ever.

5. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Hey pryuen, NBA.com is using one of the photos you have here (Yao running on the track with some girls). You are one heck of a Yao information mine.

6. pryuen

Yeah....I notice that. And in that rockets.com article it said:

"One of the biggest feet in the NBA is healing !!!" :D :D :D

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Yaorsquos_foot_improving-185332-822.html

7. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

More pictures please :(

:)

8. pryuen

You want MORE ? Here are MORE.

Yao Ming and his girl friend Ye Li have a rare appearance today in Beijing visiting China Unicom headquarter. Yao Ming is the official spokesperson for China Unicom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Russell2000

Russell2000 Member

You can tell they are not in sync from the legs....

[​IMG]

10. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

lol ... maybe they were "waltzing" into the press room ..

11. littlefish_220

Well done, pryuen, well done.

Just let you know, there is an exclusive interview of Rudy T talking about a lot of yao and really funny. Maybe you want to translate it :D

12. YOF01

YOF01 Member

This is what I like so much about my fellow Chinese, they some time can be so emotional. No one said that Yao is shunning his responsibility for the Chinese National team. If you really have followed Yao that close, dont you remember that after the minor surgery early last summer, he and his agent hinted that he needs to stay in Houston for rehab and training. And that the Chinese team is already a locked-in for the Olympics game, so the Asian Basketball Championship game is really not very meaningful? But the Chinese basketball governing body was not very happy with his agents comments, so they comprised. He went back, but they didnt not play him every game. Do you remember the report about Yao stayed in the bus and refused to go out have a group photo when the Chinese national team had an exzibition game. And afterwards, he was very upset about the whole arrangement and schedule. Playing for the Chinese national team in summer means more than just playing the tournaments, there is a lot of other commecial commitments. Yao is used in a way for that kind of occasions. Btw, Chinese team did not need Yao to win the Asian Championship last summer.

'since I have been reporting for past 3 years on Yao Ming's summer activities on YMM', does that gives you the rights to be the only Yao expert. There is no need to compare whos dick is bigger. We are all YOF and Yao junkies. I have watched every Yao's game either on TV or in person, and I have read every article about Yao. Am I proud of that, not really.

13. YOF01

YOF01 Member

Only you can talk about how Yao wants to do? :rolleyes:

14. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Shes not that bad.

15. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Thanks Pruyen.

:)

Ahhhhhh.....the dop days of summer. Nice pix.

[Oliver Twist] ;)

16. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

It is so funny that what you have stated in your post as if those incidents really happened as you described. I followed Yao as well so I would be very appreciated if you could provide any link of your story.

Between you and pryuen, I have to admit that I believe pryuen more. Oh, let's not forget the fact that Yao eventually played for CNT in the Asian game last year.

17. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Yao has expressed publicly that he does not want to participate in the meaningless friendly games and promotional activities. What promotional activities have you seen him participated in this summer? I read he visited the Unicom, of which he himself is the official spokesman, in this thread today. And I've also read he made an appearance in the news conference of the Special Olympics of which he is the Global Ambassador appointed by the Special Olympics Committee, I believe. What else? May be you can fill us in since you follow his news so closely.

Yao has also expressed publicly that he wants to play in this World Championship.

What do you not agree with?

#337 RocketForever, Jul 26, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2006
  18. YOF01

YOF01 Member

I really love you guys. Always like to mix orange with apple. I belive that appearing for Special Olympic is NOT a commecial commitement. And common sense says that is a good thing. I am shocked that anyone follows Yao did not know about the bus incident. It was all over the sports.sina.com.cn one year or couple of years ago. And because of the incident, the CNT has not dragged Yao to many commecial commitement. This comment will be my last on this topic. Dont think that it is really productive to argue more about this. Go Rockets and go CNT! But both probably will disappoint in coming years. Thats total a different topic.

19. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Why do you keep talking about the bus incident last year? What does it have anything to do with the WC this year? Everyone includes the grandma of my buddy has heard of the bus incident last year. It was reported that Yao was not happy about it. And he expressed publicly that he didn't like to participate in the promotional activities. Now fast forward to this year. I haven't seen any promotional activities which he has taken part in except the Unicom visit and he is the spokeman of the company. So why did you bring the promotional activities into the discussion about whether he should play in the WC this year?

Actually, I hope Yao would choose to rest and not to play in the World Champion ship too. But if he wants and decides to play in it, I respect his decision.

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

So she is still bad? :D