1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Official Thread on Yao Ming's Summer Activities 2006

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Apr 25, 2006.

1. darkwarrior

darkwarrior Member

dude. you don't get it. as long as yao is healthy, he's going to play in it. you're not going to convince him otherwise. i think most of us rocket fans are passed that.

2. compucomp

compucomp Member

What the hell? Sam Bowie was NEVER close to Yao's level. Where the hell did this comparison come from? Besides, Yao was the best player in the 2002 draft, so you can't say "he was drafted in front of ---".

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We know he is going to play in the WC but some of us wish he didn't after what he has gone through this year.

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

Wang's injury could be a blessing in disguise for Rocks fans who don't want Yao to play. There was an article, most probably somewhere in this thread, where Yao said he wanted to play alongside Wang, to see where China are at. This is the last dress rehersal for China, in terms of competing against the big guns, before the Olympics.

5. MandM's

MandM's Member

Relax moron. Yao's level? What level was mentioned? No one is comparing Yao to Bowie as far as talent goes.

But that they are both professional BB players...let's talk about that level "Mr. Sensitive"

Sam Bowie was a talented BB player back in his day and was projected to have a great career before he broke his leg. He was talented and no one can argue with that.

He attempted to come back quickly and broke it again. And after that he never was able to play again. At least effectively.

The comparison was only to establish that players who get injured must take the time to let the injury heal properly. Otherwise their careers are will/be in jeapordy.

Even players at the level of Yao Ming. "Level" has nothing to do with health and recovery. High level athletes get hurt and their bodies heal in the same way that low level athletes heal.

I think I "get it" better than any of you other guys that support this "grand cause" and I wouldn't respect Yao any less if he chose NOT to play. In fact, I would probably respect him even more for standing up for himself.

6. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

If the honor of playing for your country had a unit...

And if Yao made $180M over the rest of his career..

Then 180M couldn't buy that one unit....

Helping his country is Yao's first concern... The ability to play basketball comes second.... Money comes somewhere later...

What you don't understand is that what you would do is totally different from Yao would do in the exact same situation with the exact same information to make a decision.

7. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

Man, hard work is always rewarded. Especially when your work is focused on a star like Yao Ming. Congratulations to you pryuen!

On Yao wanting to play in the World Championships. Personally, I'd rather he not play in them, have a nice relaxation instead of running around, trying to help his hapless team mates to win the game. And if both Yao and Wang Zhi Zhi are gone, this will give Yi Jianlian (somewhere like that) a chance to really show his potential, because he is rumoured to be in the next or 2008 draft, and if he wants to be drafted, he needs to prove himself against competition. Either way, I'm not too concerned with China's chances in the World Championships, everybody knows that the NBA Finals are the real world championships :D

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If Yao is healthy and wants to play, then I am excited for Yao.....

He should play and lead the CNT, I am so happy that Yao is that sort of dedicated player.

DD

9. littlefish_220

Again, you just don't get it.

How important is a playoff game, a final series game, a regular season game, a World Champion game, or an Olympic game? You have your judgment, and your judgment is respected. But Yao has his own judgment, and his should be respected too.

Nobody wants Yao to force himself into the tournament in Japan, but he is trying very very hard to rehab to catch up with the competition. Don't say that Yao should stand up by himself to choose not to play, because he seems to want to play BY HIMSELF.

As a rockets fan, you definitely value Yao's contribution to the club greater than to his national team. However, please respect his own choice to represent his country.

10. MandM's

MandM's Member

Point taken.

Let's see how it plays out

11. compucomp

compucomp Member

Worthless YOH and China hater. You realize that Yao "standing up for himself" would mean that he ignores his Rockets advisors who want him to skip the WBC and play? Yao HIMSELF wants to play more than anything. He considers his commitments to the Chinese National Team to be PARAMOUNT, HIGHER than his NBA commitments. If you don't believe me, read his book and watch The Year of the Yao. The Chinese government is applying NO pressure. Don't give me this "oh the regime in China sucks" bull****, it is totally irrelevant and totally meaningless.

And I still can't believe someone compared Yao to Sam Bowie with a straight face. I didn't know such people still existed, much less on a Rockets board.

12. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Hey....that is not necessary and unwarranted to revert to personal attack and insults. While we may not agree with M&M's view points, it does not mean he is a YOH and China hater. He did have a point in that if Yao Ming has not totally recovered and not yet back into competitive shape and form, then he should skip the World Championship to avoid further injuries.

13. Golden Bear

Golden Bear Member

Yao should be fine, from http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/brokenbones/g/jones.htm

"Treatment of an acute Jones fracture that is not significantly displaced consists of a cast or walking boot for 6-8 weeks. Patients should not place weight on the foot until instructed by their doctor."

It's been a good 15 weeks now since the injury, it's now or never...

8 weeks of wearing a cast, and 7 weeks of rehabilitation should be plenty enough for Yao. The AMA almost ALWAYS overshoot healing times for the sake of caution.

Remember, Michael Jordan had a jones fracture early in his career. Hell, I'd say he was pretty good. ;)

14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Besides, I'd say that Yao won't necessarily need to play big minutes or at maximum intensity to dominate the competition in the WBC anyways. I mean, Wang was scoring 23 per game, and I don't thing any of us has any sort of illusion that he's capable of carrying Yao's nuts around. From his statements, it seems clear that Yao is unconcerned about his foot and feels fine. He WILL play in the tournement. He'll make sure China has a strong showing and use the tourny as another stepping stone in his return to NBA gameshape.

Sure, there's the possibility of another fluke injury in much the same fashion that Yao fractured the foot originally (getting kicked by another player). But the fact is, he could injure himself running on the track in the morning, too. Risk of injury is inherent in sport, particularly at the elite level, and athletes can't worry so much about it that they stop competing. Doubtless all of us will be watching the tournement with interest and all of us here will be rooting for China much the same way we did in the Olympics. Hopefully, we'll even get some Yao game footage to tide us over until the preseason!

15. Champ06

Champ06 Member

To be fair I think MandM's reverted to personal attack first (see quote below) but Compucomp should learn to restraint himself but it is difficult sometimes.

16. freshtomato

freshtomato Member

Man some of you act like girls wanting to be exclusive with Yao.

"Oh Yao don't waste your energy going out with the other girl. Save your energy for me. She doesn't know know to treat you right. You'll just get hurt going out with her. I know what's good for you. I know how to massage your big toe the way your like it, Yao Ming. You big boy."

17. pearlon

pearlon Member

it's funny how people can come to such disagreements even in this thread...

anymore news of the big guy, Pruyen? appreciate your translations

18. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Very little these 2 days. Most news were on

1. Wang Zhizhi's injury in Europe and its impact to China national team's preparation of the World Championship and
    2. The fury of the Head Coach Jonas Kazlauskas who got very disappointed with the Chinese players, stood up and bitterly bashed Chinese basketball association, basketball players and media.
    As a result, CBA has ordered all players to shun interviews by the media. So don't expect too many news about Yao Ming in the next few days.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

Screws can wear the bone and lead to further problems or more commonly become loose and dig their way to the surface of the flesh.

Yao should consider playing after he has the screw removed.

20. YOF01

YOF01 Member

As a YOF and a Chinese who followed Yao since day one, i have seen Yao tried more than couple of times not to playing in the summer for the Chinese national team subtlely like last year before the Asia game. I could even give you the quote. Yao knows who pays his bill, he is after all, a professional basketball player. I believe that he undestand the importance of the WBC as a tuneup fo the Olympics, but its only meaningful if he had more time to play and train together with the Chinese national team before the event. I think that he knows that too. Personal growth and targetted trainning of Yao is very important to Yao, Rockets, and Chinese national team, thats why he and his team is now making excuses to train alone. I truely believe that Yao want to carry the Rockets to the NBA Final and the Chinese team to a medal in the coming Olympics, both are equally important for him. Its what takes to get here is debatable. I would say less meaningless games and training in China during the summer. :)