1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] The Layoff Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Didn't want to hijack the thread the original post/reply was in. Looked for an old layoff thread but couldn't find a generic one. So here we go.

I'm not really worried or too stressed about it all yet. Just not sure what to do next. One might say I should leave this company since every team I go to gets laid off en masse, but the location/pay/benefits are pretty good. Still... 3 layoffs in 7 years is not fun. So maybe looking elsewhere and outside O&G is the way to go. I have about 10 months before things get tight, and maybe another 4 months after that before things get dire. So I have some time, but I'm not a fan of uncertainty and would prefer to have something good lined up ASAP.

Any suggestions, anyone?

Also, general layoff questions or comments welcome from anyone.[/QUOTE]

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Sorry to hear that. File for unemployment immediately.

I would think you could still find an oil and gas job if you wanted.

3. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

My O&G major is doing a massive re-org, I already successfully jumped ship.

I'm thinking you can find another role in Houston. I'm doing energy trading, and had a host of opportunities.

SIL

4. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

If I hear of anything avail I’ll def let you know.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

But, but.....I thought the Trump tax cuts will bring everyone jobs and no layoffs? :rolleyes:. Bullshit is getting deep.

Eric Riley and K-Low_4_Prez like this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sorry to hear about this Haymitch, good luck with it all

B-Bob and daywalker02 like this.
  7. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

No time for this.

I just learned three fellas I trade with got let go Friday. Such a shame.

SIL

8. Buck Turgidson

What do you like to do, hobby-wise? Do you have skills that can make your hobby a job?

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Good luck Haymitch.

Since you get brought back to the same company, there's people there who like you. First stop is to them to see what outlook they have at their department.

Next would be to look for what you feel fomfotable with elsewhere.

Bright side to the suckiness, you've been there before by the same hand and you didn't take it personally. Keeping that attitude will make this stumble a small rock when you look back at it.

daywalker02 likes this.
  10. TheresTheDagger

Been there, done that. And ya, it sucks big time.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck in finding an even better situation. Good luck.

B-Bob and daywalker02 like this.
  11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Yeah man. My wife got let go from that biz years ago. I said I gotcha mommy, daddy gonna make this bread. So now she meal preps and takes care of the kids fulltime. I would like to push her into real estate.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thanks all for the kind words. As said before I have some time to figure it all out so nothing is in crisis mode yet and I'm good; just living life as I normally would were this not the circumstance.

I'm going to use this time to think about what I want in a job going forward. For me, it's always been just a thing to pay the bills. Have no interest in a life-consuming job and I have never defined myself by my job title. But even with that attitude, I still need to find out what I like doing. For the first time since my "career" started I have some time to be picky about it, so I will.

That said if any of y'all know of any good jobs/employers in Memorial / Katy / Cypress area, I'd like to hear it.

13. body slam

body slam Member

Good luck

There is no shame in getting a part time job while your looking. No need to milk the savings if you din't have to.

Uprising and R0ckets03 like this.
  14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

What body slam said....although sounds like you are prepared for the rainy day.

I met some people working at Mattress Firm who had been in O&G for decades....I wouldn't recommend taking that route though. The cow has been milked in Houston....

Good luck with the job search. I recently made a career change and got into IT, and the wife and I made the move to Austin.

body slam likes this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Best of luck, Haymitch! I'm glad I'm retired. ;)

bobrek likes this.
  16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You certainly have more experience with this than me, but I can tell you that everyone I know that has been laid off has eventually ended up with something better. Something that they never would have found if they weren't laid off in the first place. Good luck with everything!

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Like I said in the other thread, y'all O&G'ers don't have to flip industries, especially at the expense of pay, y'all just need to adjust your spending/savings habits accordingly. The fact is, you're probably going to be out of work X% of months every decade. So subtract that projected % from your salary and go live life.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Sorry to hear that Haymitch...

I tried like hell to get into O&G when I was moving back to Houston about 5 years ago. Couldn't get even a sniff anywhere. I'm glad that didn't happen. I realize the pay is excellent and I'm sure the benefits aren't bad when times are good. I just couldn't live with that constant fear of layoffs when I see the price at the gas station drop by a couple of cents.

19. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Sorry to hear it Haymitch.

I got laid-off from O&G as a recently graduated engineer. Too far removed to be considered for recently graduated positions, not enough experience for most others. Been a hard slog to find something. Still looking. Moral is, don't wait too long to start looking. Never know how long it will take. Sorry if it sounds preachy. Not my intent.

20. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

My Chick-Fil-A is hiring

Haymitch likes this.