1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Texans training camp/pre-season thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by codell, Aug 3, 2011.

1. AbbasNasib

AbbasNasib Member

Is he not having a good camp? I hadn't heard anything. I know he broke his hand early on during the preseason last year and hasn't had a chance to showcase.

2. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Watched open practice today. Very entertaining, good day for WRs. Kevin Walter burnt Kareem for a TD, wasn't even a double move, just accelerated past him on what looked like a skinny post. Walter and Tolliver both had good looking TD catches on Joseph when they ran 7 on 7 redzone. Walter's was an over the shoulder thing of beauty. They did some kickoffs, and Manning had a return that would've been a TD.

Even before Holliday broke his thumb he did not look good as a KR last preseason. The guy would straight into the biggest pile of jerseys.

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Last preseason, Holliday looked like he was scared and had never returned a kick in his life. I'll be surprised if he makes the team.

And with Kareem, it is sounding more like he could be out of the league by next year. Seems like every day we've heard about him getting embarrassed in practice.

4. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It amazes me how people call into the talk radio claiming Walter is not a legit #2.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

because he's white, people are stuck in their perceptions. my head is on the verge of exploding every time i see a thread on signing the next washed up receiver. i'm like really, the receiving core is good enough for you, really?

6. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I think they claim that because JJ gets way too many looks. If you take away Jacoby's passes and give them to Walter, I don't think anybody would doubt he can produce the yardage of a legit #2.

7. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Shocking! I have yet to hear one good thing this kid has done in practice, I almost feel sorry for the guy. Just to think we could have had Devin McCourty...

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I actually thought that the texans were going to take McCourty because i remember hearing rumors that the texans loved him.

From reports, it does not sound like kareem is doing well, which is unfortunate. I just hope the switch flips for him soon.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I havent heard much of him either, which isnt a good thing for him. For him to make the squad, he needs to create some buzz.

10. RedRaiderRocket

I remember watching him last year in training camp he was getting burned every time I watched him. The coaches would jump all over him, deservedly so. I think he missed the first preseason game because of a death in his family. But in the second game, his first I believe he had an interception, granted it was off a reflection and I think our safety got it first. I was thinking maybe he learned a lot from when I saw him in last years training camp. I haven't seen one practice but I have more confidence in Brandon Harris, and Jason Allen as a second corner.

11. AbbasNasib

AbbasNasib Member

He was referring to Trindon Hoilday.

12. RedRaiderRocket

My bad I have less hope of Holiday making the team then Kareem Jackson being a shut down corner. Holiday can't catch, with Maehl and Toliver possibly being 5th and maybe 6th WR's unless Holiday returns kicks back for touchdowns every preseason game there is 0 chance he makes the team. He would have been cut last year but had a season ending injury before he would have been cut. He was a good returner for LSU but he ran straight into coverage in all of his preseason returns. Jacoby, Slaton, or Manning will be our return men.

13. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Forgot to say that Steve Slaton fumbled the ball in one of his earlier carries and was greeted by a big groan from the crowd. Ogbonnaya had a much better showing, and how Slaton is penciled in as RB3 is beyond me.

14. Mattj

Mattj Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/7690870.html

Great work by Richard Justice this morning. This story can't even begin to describe the pain this young man has been through in his life. I'm biased, but I know this guy can play. The Texans need to find a place for him. Too much character and mental toughness to leave him off the roster. You can ask the Oklahoma Sooners whether or not he has any game.

2 people like this.
  15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm gonna rep you for your part in that story.:)

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I've known Chris and his family since he was in kindergartnn, great guy and a great family. I'd be very proud for him to be a Texan.

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Great story on Ogbonnaya.

Ogbonnaya should get a job on the practice squad at the very least. We usually carry one RB there, and he and Tate are the only guys eligible (and no 2nd round pick is going to practice squad).

I don't see any way Slaton makes this team if the other guys are healthy. It's a shame because he has very good ability, but he hasn't been able to shake that horrendous 2nd season.

18. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

What some guys on the radio are saying is that Slaton's is back to rookie season form. Having had a good view of the last two open practices, I just don't see it.

19. val_modus

val_modus Member

Hows Ben Tate doing, havent hear much on him..

20. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

He's been out with a tight hamstring, just like Foster.