1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Titans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I just don't see Savage starting given that he still has literally 0 passing TD's for his career and he won't be able to do much game planning for the upcoming game due to being stuck in the concussion protocol. Add to that Osweiler coming in and out-playing him today and I just highly doubt that they go back to him. Maybe it happens, who knows? BOB went with Hoyer in the playoffs despite all the reasons that was a stupid idea.

I think if Savage never gets concussed, there's no chance they go back with Osweiler, but a lot has happened since then.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

XSF has to pan out so we don't look like dopes; there was a crap ton of talent in that 2nd round besides Carr

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Come on Bobby, you're better than to say someone outplayed someone else when one threw five times the amount of passes, with much better protection. That's agenda pushing 101. Lol.

Anywho, I think Savage is the guy if healthy. Like I said, he wouldn't have gone back into the game in the second quarter. He should be fine implementing the game plan while in the protocol.

Something about him being cleared initially makes me feel better about the speed of his recovery.

Osweiler is done this season, barring inkiry, in my opinion.

Of course these are both just opinions and only time will prove correct.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I think Oz starts the playoff game unfortunately. Then if we win, we might have a QB decision to make when we go to the 2nd round

5. Two Sandwiches

That's absurd, in my opinion. That alone should get OB fired.

No way you can go into the playoffs with a QB controversy. He knows that. That's why it was so odd when Osweiler came out. Until I knew Savage was hurt. That's also why Savage went back in once cleared.

Osweiler had fourteen games to take this team over. A game and a half for Savage, and an unfortunate injury on a fourth down play is not enough for him to lose his job considering the guy he'd be losing it to couldn't secure his job in fourteen games.

O'Brien is bad with in game and personnel management, but he's not THAT bad. No head coach is that bad. If he engineers a QB controversy in the playoffs, he deserves to be fired no matter how far we go in the playoffs. Whoever starts next week will finish the season at QB, barring injury. That's why it's Savage.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nothing will be "engineered".

Savage is hurt. Him being cleared and then starting to show worsening signs soon after is more an indictment on those clearing him than BOB.

He's now at the mercy of the protocol. I'd estimate more than 70% of acutely concussed protocol players miss the following game, let alone a position that requires the full extent of mental abilities, let alone a shorter week.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Normally I'd agree, but did the Texans even cross the 50 with Savage? I know they got 3 first downs total with him in the game including the QB sneak that injured him, but I'm not sure just how far the drive got before it stalled out. Then Osweiler comes in and the Texans score a few TD's even with all the people out. Savage looked like garbage and again, he has 0 total career passing TD's. Kind of hard to say he's the guy when he's never gotten the team in the end zone with his arm.

On top of that, like most assumed, the Texans have the early game on Saturday meaning it's a short week to game plan and Savage is going to be in the concussion protocol unable to be a part of team activities for at least part of that time.

I just don't see it.

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't have a good feeling about Savage or Osweiller. I'm just glad we are playing Oakland. If Savage has a concussion though, will he even practice? I had a sick feeling the whole game thinking about it. It's the quarterback pre-playoffs injury curse that hangs over the Texans. Why can't we ever catch a break?

I don't know what Bill is going to do, because Savage didn't look good at all, and needed every snap in that game. Was it a fluke he looked so good the day he replaced Brock? I thought he hesitated too much last week, and looked terrible. I just think that if he goes back to Brock and he blows it that everyone will blame Bill. I don't trust Brock not doing something stupid either, and throwing it right into a Raider's hands, but also don't feel much better about Savage now. I'm torn personally.

9. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Brock will most likely be the starter. Good luck.

Here's a shot to a one n done season coming up. City of Houston needs to focus on the Rockets / Astros .... only teams that have a chance.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

We caught a break getting the Carr-less Raiders and their suspect defense outside of Mack and Irvin

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think this is a fair point for this year.
    I think it's better to just eliminate the division games from those records.
    AFC South: 17-23
    AFC North: 14-25-1
    NFC West: 12-28

I think a lot of this is unfairly or fairly (depending on what you hold as important) attributed to history. The AFC North has produced fairly recent Superbowl Champions and so has the NFC West. It think those divisions can be considered as having down years. Until the AFC South makes some noise in the playoffs again, many will just keep saying they suck. I mean, it's not a good division by most measures - it's just not the worst this season. Hooray!

#592 Kim, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Out of division wins

2016 season
    NFC East - 27 wins
    AFC West - 26 wins
    AFC East - 24 wins
    NFC South - 21 wins
    NFC North - 18 wins
    AFC South - 17 wins
    AFC North - 14 wins
    NFC West - 12 wins

2015 season
    AFC East - 24 wins
    NFC South - 24 wins
    NFC West - 23 wins
    AFC West - 22 wins
    NFC North - 22 wins
    AFC North - 18 wins
    NFC East - 14 wins
    AFC South - 13 wins

2014 season
    AFC North - 26 wins
    NFC West - 25 wins
    NFC North - 23 wins
    AFC East - 21 wins
    AFC West - 21 wins
    NFC East - 20 wins
    AFC South - 13 wins
    NFC South - 10 wins

The AFC South just has been a consistently bad division in recent history. It's not the worst this year, but it's 6th out of 8 record wise. Aggregate the last 3 years and we're probably the worst.

14. conquistador#11

tom savage can be the second coming of jesus, but how effective would jesus have been if he'd cut himself building coffee tables for Mary before he even hit the age of 30. Got to stay healthy. Would like to draft qb round 3, with a qb battle between brock and savage.

that's my clyde drexler thought of the day.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well of course we did, but I was referring to the sudden changes we too end up having to make at our quarterback position right before playoffs. It's a dog and pony show, and right now and Bill and crew have to figure out which one trick pony to give the blue ribbon, and hope they get us farther than a plastic pony on a carousel ride.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Osweiler is still bad. Inaccurate and near picks everywhere. Savage didn't play enough.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ten-hou-grades-week-17/

Quarterback Grade:
    Brock Osweiler, 40.0. Tom Savage, 46.2

Second chance for Osweiler, but same results

The Texans head into the playoffs with uncertainty at quarterback after promoting Tom Savage to starter a week ago, as he lasted only 17 snaps into his second start before being concussed on a quarterback sneak. Prior to that point, he was unimpressive, misfiring on two downfield throws and losing the ball on the team’s first drive, which resulted in a Titans touchdown.

Brock Osweiler looked about the same as he has for most of the season, with several impressive throws including at 6:45 of the fourth, when he hit WR Wendall Williams in tight coverage down the left sideline, but over the course of the game there were more misses than hits.

17. Major

Major Member

Two of those divisions, right or wrong, have a team that people legitimately believe could win the Superbowl. One does not. That's why they are the butt of all the jokes. Outside of Houston (and maybe KC), every other division-leading team has a legitimate case as a Superbowl contender.

GB, Seattle, NE, and Pitt all are previous winners with their current QB/Coach combo. Atlanta has, by far, the most explosive offense in the league. And Dallas has the best record all season. The AFC West was considered a powerhouse before Carr got injured. That only leaves the AFC South.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

19. Two Sandwiches

They can keep calling them a bad team all they want, but the fact of the matter is that 20 teams aren't going to the playoffs, and they are. They also have a good shot at winning a playoff game. But if they do, the narrative will be that they're the worst team to win a playoff game ever. They only beat the Raiders because they didn't have Carr (despite the fact that they went toe to toe with them and got screwed out of a win).

The media can continue to say whatever they want about them. If they keep winning, I'll just laugh my way into the offseason. It's only adding fuel to their fire.

#599 Two Sandwiches, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sadly it's not just the media saying it, you have "Texans fans" saying it too.

Two Sandwiches likes this.