1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Titans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 27, 2016.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I like the stat sheet on Forrest Lamp. Don't know much about him, though.

2. conquistador#11

I think that's the type of player fits bill's 'move all over the line fetish'. He plays Tackle, Guard and definitely could use a guy named forrest on the team.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  3. Nimo

Nimo Member

The good news is that Mancz played so well that they may be able to move Martin to guard next year.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not a good draft for offensive linemen, especially at the top. They might need to go for it in free agency

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No chance that you are asking your 2nd round picked center to change positions for an undrafted guy. Mancz will be the one making the move to guard. And there's no way you go the route of FA because the team can't afford to overpay.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm guessing they move Mancz to guard, and do whatever they can to finagle a Right Tackle from somewhere. Basically, anything to keep Jeff Allen and Chris Clark off the field. If Osweiler is a slam dunk for Most Disappointing Texan this season, Jeff Allen HAS to be an Honorable Mention. The guy has been straight trash this entire season, and arguably as bad of a free agent signing as Brock.

macho GRANDE and Two Sandwiches like this.
  7. Nimo

Nimo Member

You put your best 5 linemen on the field. Martin is presumably better than guard than Mancz. Martin has shifted to guard and played at a high level. and we would expect he is better than Allen and Aboushi. Mancz played pretty well this year at center. The problem areas have been the guard positions and the right tackle since Newton went down.

I do agree they need a tackle that can START at both tackle positions. I'm not too optimistic about Newton's return and Clark needs to never play right tackle ever again.

No Worries likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely. Center is one of the most important spots on the O line right up there with left tackle. They drafted Martin to be the franchise center for the next 10 years and so far I see no reason to think they'll change their mind. Mancz played guard in college quite a bit and the Texans were looking at him there before they had to move him to center due to Martin's injury.

As to right tackle, I think they have to look draft. It's true that this is a weak O line class, but the top of the line tackles are all left tackle prospects, not right tackle. You can be someone who is seen as a fairly weak tackle prospect and still be a very solid right tackle because when they are grading tackles they are always looking at their potential to be the more important left tackle. It's like a WR prospect being a very good #2 WR while not being a good #1 WR prospect.

Much like you said, Jeff Allen has been a disaster. In a lot of ways it's as bad or worse than Osweiler's contract in that even after next season is done, we'll still be on the hook for 2.5 mil worth of dead money. The good news is that between Mancz, XSF, and Allen, we should be able to field a competitive guard rotation. XSF has struggled at times especially in pass blocking, but he's still young enough to where maybe he comes into his own with one more off-season similar to how Derek Newton was a late bloomer. He shows enough flashes of brilliance in the run game to where I'd be willing to bet that Mancz and XSF hold down the 2 spots next season and do an adequate job.

Another reason why I don't see the Texans doing a lot in FA is that they'll have to lock down Nuk long term or risk losing him. He's been very disappointing this season overall, but he'll still command a sizable contract and with being on the hook for another year of Osweiler and Allen, there won't be a whole lot of cap space to go around. Right now we're looking at having about 24-25 million worth of cap space next year before any cap casualties or new contracts and guys like A.J. Bouye, Quintin Demps, Ryan Griffin, and John Simon will all be unrestricted free agents on top of the new contract for Nuk. Also, I didn't include the fact that this is probably the last year for both Nick Novak and Shane Lechler, but if they are coming back, they'll need new deals too.

9. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Draft is weak at OL...which begs the question...

Why is Mike McGlinchey returning to ND?

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, he probably hopes that one more year will improve his draft stock from the middle to late first round to the top 10. I hadn't heard that he made it official yet, but if not, that's another off the board.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Texans aren't taking any chances in a game that doesn't matter.

12. Newlin

Newlin Member

If savage plays, they are taking chances.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nah, not really. He needs the reps if he's going to look like anything in the playoffs. There's very little difference between a bad Savage and a bad Osweiler other than thus far Savage's interceptions have been dropped. We're hoping to see a good Savage, which means we need to give him the reps he needs to succeed. Savage has yet to throw a TD this season....I'd like that to not be the case when he's suiting up for the playoff game.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  14. PhiSlammaJamma

Goff is the draft pick that keeps on giving. Titans likely to draft 5th and 14th, but could go as high as 3rd. And that is crazy given they are teetering on the playoffs. Strong defensive draft too, which is where the Titans are weak.

15. Buck Turgidson

Everyone knows you could never rely on a QB named Savage Weeden...but what this post presupposes is, maybe you did?

16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Titans won't matter if we get everyone healthy back next year.

17. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

Troy offensive tackle Antonio Garcia continues his rise up draft boards. He looked terrific during the Dollar General Bowl and most scouts feel he’s cemented himself as a second day pick. One of his primary opponents during the game, Ohio’s Tarell Basham who is also rated as a second day pick, was complimentary of Garcia telling people he’s an explosive, workhorse tackle who plays through the whistle.

Garcia is drawing comparisons to Levi Jones and many feel he could slide into the late part of round one with a good showing during the Senior Bowl. I spent time speaking with Garcia a few days ago and found him to be polite and very respectful. Garcia needs to get stronger, which will improve his run blocking, and show a little more confidence in his outstanding potential so he can take his game to the next level. Right now he’s the fastest rising tackle on boards.

Those close to the situation tell me Wisconsin tackle Ryan Ramczyk will meet with doctors after the bowl game to discuss options on the injured labrum in his hip. If the diagnoses has Ramczyk ready for NFL mini-camp after rehabbing the injury he’ll give serious consideration to entering the draft.

http://draftanalyst.com/da-draft-buzz-december-27th

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

QB controversy when #WeedenBoyz comes in and throws 3 TD's in the 2nd half

ramotadab likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I feel like this was said the last time the Titans were on the possible cusp of the playoffs... before they crashed/burned.

20. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

Well Newton was bad when he was playing. PFF had as the worst of the Texans starters on on the OL.

I'm not sure why but I thought Mancz was undersized as a center so I thought it would be a terrible idea to move him to guard. But looked him up and was wrong. With that said I don't care about whoever moves so long as it is best for the OL.

Also in next year's draft I wouldn't mind if the Texans went for two OL men in the first four rounds. They need another tackle for sure but would not mind another with brown up there in age.