1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Titans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 27, 2016.

1. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Does anyone know what day/time we'll play? trying to make my travel schedule accomodate the game

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They're trying.

Passed on a QB last year to draft a guard.

Drafted a C high this year.

The thing is, you have to either pick the right player... along with have luck to not have the right player get injured.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

As of now it's still TBD, but I'd be willing to bet that it ends up being a Saturday game.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well there really was no QB in consideration, so they didn't "pass" on anyone.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They will announce it some time during the night game.

I'm betting the Packers, regardless of opponent (NYG/Seattle) will be the marquee Saturday night game.

Typically, the weakest game is the Saturday afternoon lead-in.... and will be on ESPN.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They were strong on Jimmy G. Thought they could get him in the 3rd.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Right, so they thought they had one more pick before they took the guy they were high on, it's not quite the same as passing on a QB. I do agree with your overall point though. You've gotta end up right about those O linemen and you can't have bad luck with injuries. Having Nick Martin is going to make a really big difference next year by itself.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Quarterback Grade: Brock Osweiler, 40.0. Tom Savage, 46.2

Second chance for Osweiler, but same results

The Texans head into the playoffs with uncertainty at quarterback after promoting Tom Savage to starter a week ago, as he lasted only 17 snaps into his second start before being concussed on a quarterback sneak. Prior to that point, he was unimpressive, misfiring on two downfield throws and losing the ball on the team’s first drive, which resulted in a Titans touchdown.

Brock Osweiler looked about the same as he has for most of the season, with several impressive throws including at 6:45 of the fourth, when he hit WR Wendall Williams in tight coverage down the left sideline, but over the course of the game there were more misses than hits.

Top offensive grades:

WR DeAndre Hopkins, 84.8
    LT Duane Brown, 80.3
    C Greg Mancz, 75.8
    T Kendall Lamm, 71.6
    RB Jonathan Grimes, 65.8

Hopkins finishes strong

After a rough week 16, DeAndre Hopkins had a strong finish to the season, accounting for much of Houston’s offensive production in this game. He caught seven of the 10 passes thrown his way, multiple times turning short passes into long gains with his work after the catch. He gained 70 of his 123 receiving yards after the catch, by far his best mark there this season, and forced two missed tackles, also a season-high.

[​IMG]

Up front, the Texans had recurring issues handling Tennessee’s stunts and blitzes, although grade-wise the unit was not terrible in pass protection. The marks were worse in run blocking, particularly on the right side with tackle Chris Clark and guards Jeff Allen and Oday Aboushi.

Top defensive grades:

DT Christian Covington, 86.6
    CB A.J.Bouye, 82.1
    DT D.J. Reader, 81.8
    CB Kareem Jackson, 79.8
    DT Joel Heath, 78.3

Covington earns season-high grade

The Texans defense was shortchanged multiple times in terms of field position, but played well in spite of it. Chris Covington in particular had a monster game in the trenches, converting 16 pass rushes into two pressures and a batted pass to go with four run stops. NT D.J. Reader likewise batted a pass and compiled a pair of pressures, although he was less impactful against the run, and on the back end, corners A.J Bouye and Kareem Jackson combined to allow just three catches for three yards.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ten-hou-grades-week-17/

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, when you have two main needs... QB/O-line... and you have to choose which one to try and fill first, and you end up choosing the O-line for whatever reason (you think you can get the QB later, you really love the o-lineman and don't think he'll be available later, etc).... and the QB you want ended up getting selected soon after thereby preventing you from getting him.... the Texans end up effectively passing on the QB in favor of the O-lineman.

Its semantical... but its what happened. As it is, XSF is not performing close to a possible late 1st/early 2nd round pick.

Of course, they could have had Bortles or Manziel had they really tried to get a QB no matter what... so in some cases, passing is entirely the right thing to do.

No Worries likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Next season is going to be big for him when it comes to determining the course of his career and just how long it might be. He's gotta get better.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

As if Clowney needed any more motivation next week. He gets to face off with Mack for round 2. This is his chance to prove to the world that he's superior.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

See, it's stuff like this that makes it hard for me to buy into PFF's grades. Tom Savage gives up a fumble and never really moves the ball at all, Brock Osweiler comes in and it leads to two touchdowns and no turnovers and yet PFF grades Savage higher. I'm sure they could come up with some reason for it, but it just doesn't pass the smell test.

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Sure that the laws in the US have more bearing than in Mexico. Plus the legal ramifications. Dont think you want to be sued by the Raiders or the victim of the laser pointer. So please dont use laser pointers at the game. Paper airplanes on the other hand...LOL...

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Don't live in Houston, so I won't be at the game, unfortunately. I was just joking as well (about buying someone a laser pointer, not the rest).

I hope the Raiders QB gets a laser shined in his eye. Nothing will change that opinion.

15. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Really hope Sua Filo pans out by next year... Nick Martin is gonna be a stud. Stinks he got hurt this year. They are one more stout pick up from having a really good line once again. And I really believe that if Savage gets time to throw...he really can be serviceable.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Savage might not get a chance if he doesn't really show up on fire to camp this off-season. It was always going to be a QB competition, but with Savage never throwing a TD pass and Osweiler getting a second chance in the playoffs, he's not in a good spot.

17. Two Sandwiches

Brown, a decent XSF, Martin, Mancz, and a good rookie tackle would be a good line. Let alone if DQ can ever come back and be serviceable. He'd be better than Clark, without a doubt. I'd be better than Clark. That guy is terrible. One of the worst lineman in the league.

18. Two Sandwiches

How is Osweiler getting a second chance in the playoffs?

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well before Savage got hurt, Osweiler was benched, now that Savage is concussed, he probably won't be able to practice much this week so Osweiler will be the starter. That's giving him a second chance after he squandered his opportunity earlier this season to show that he could do something.

If Osweiler plays well in the playoffs, it's going to be really hard for Savage to overcome that. IMO.

20. Two Sandwiches

I think Savage still plays. Though Osweiler already starting once against Oakland helps him.

Unless Savage isn't moving through the protocol, I think he'll start. Not sure if I'm correct, but I assume he can still attend the meetings while in the portocol.

I think it's telling that O'Brien put Savage out there for the last snap of the first half. If healthy, I think he plays. Got to have the full playbook in the playoffs.

Basically, I wouldn't count my chickens is all I'm saying...