1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Steelers

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

The Tim Kelly Experiment should be drawing to a close soon also.

Nepotism is an ugly flaw when it doesn't work out we all saw it with Gary Kubiak. I guess Obriens bro - who was a defensive tackle or whatever the hell Kelly was before OBrien hooked him up here - making him an offensive coach was a mistake let alone the GD OC!! Who could have guessed it? SMH

I heard the entire 2019 draft class was a healthy inactive scratch from the game yesterday!! Wow! All the great teams have rookies who are contributing and the Texans want to "send a message". Pathetic.

My goodness add up all the HORRIBLE roster decisions and you have to face reality as an 0-3 team "tough record" be damned. These guys arent even putting up much of a fight and Deshaun Watson is turning into David Carr V2.0.

Incompetence is a franchise killer and the sad thing is it will be at least 3-4 more years of this before the McNairs snap out of it.

TheRealist137 and STR8Thugg like this.
  2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Vikings → 146.7 ypg (8th) Dalvin Cook
    2x Jaguars → 109.3 (19th)
    2x Titans → 129.0 (13th) Derrick Henry
    Packers → 171.7 (2nd) Aaron Jones
    Browns → 170.3 (4th) Nick Chubb
    Patriots → 178.0 (1st) Cam Newton
    Lions → 105.7 (22nd)
    2x Colts → 119.3 (15th)
    Bears → 138.0 (11th)
    Bengals → 79.3 (30th) Joe Mixon?

I know it's the first 3 games :rolleyes: blah blah blah but we should definitely be concerned.

deb4rockets likes this.
  3. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Part of the rush defense has been calculated. Weaver is clearly looking to avoid being beat by the deep ball. The problem is the offense doesn't complement the defense whatsoever. Defense actually competed pretty well for most of the game yesterday, but when you are on the field the entire second half you'll eventually get worn down.

This offense is just pathetic, and they were always going to have to be the side of the ball to carry us this year. It's all on BOB. He's the one who hired Tim Kelly and Mike Devlin. He's the one who traded Hop and Clowney for peanuts. He's the one that signed guys like Cobb and Murray to terrible contracts. He's the one who thinks it's more important to have STD players than players that are actually good at football.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Such a terrible 1-2 punch of terrible playcalling and overall offensive scheme to go along with terrible personnel moves of overpaying mediocrity, trading away talent for terrible returns, and not addressing the defense while letting the talent walk away for nothing.

Don’t even have the draft to look forward to since the Dolphins are getting the benefit of our ineptitude.

Only silver lining is BOB should get fired he wanted control and his fingerprints are all over this disaster of a team.

King1 and Hank McDowell like this.
  5. conquistador#11

Does anyone have access to the fancy stats site? The free one I used to use is now paywalled. I'd like to see Pittsburgh's blitzing % on drop backs for the day. I know they were 61% before the game. Tomlin gave his reason as to why he decided to play more zone vs Deshaun but I'd like to see how the numbers stack up. I don't even think the pressure by baby Watt were out of blitzes. He just beat his blocker on the first step or was not accounted for.

6. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Your eye test is basically correct. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but most of their blitzes happened on running plays → indicating that we must have been tipping our hand.

Predictable is predictable.

coachbadlee likes this.
  7. Nimo

Nimo Member

One of these guys is telling the truth

STR8Thugg likes this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I think Justin Reid is wayyyy over-rated. To have to depend on him is fools gold.

tierre_brown likes this.
  9. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

He's overrated because they're playing a safety at corner

deb4rockets and STR8Thugg like this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I guess. He had a nice rookie year, and then the shoulder injuries began and now he's just a guy. He's not much of a playmaker. He's solid so that means OBrien will probably make him the highest paid S in the league!

11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I believe it was Flaubert who said it first, tête haute soulja tu ne joues pas à la poubelle!

12. conquistador#11

Other than the sack numbers, he will not turn to David Carr. In his best year David threw for 7.5 yrds per pass attempt. Watson is still averaging 8.3.
    The ints have not been anything outrageous. In the first game KC's quarterback threw one that the linebacker McKinney read, then he threw one like Watson's int against the Ravens that Hargreeves dropped and another one in the back of the endzone that was also dropped by our FS, throwing across the body.
    Now if he has 6 consecutive pick sixes, I'd worry. Right now the only worry is another punctured organ

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

true.

so the team invests heavily into the OLine to "protect" Watson, but it really hasnt done much? He's getting hit at a historic clip even without the gaudy sack numbers. If defenses are just going to tee off on him every chance they get, and our OLinemen arent going to protect their QB or even play enforcer when guys like TJ Watt take a cheap shot on him going out of bounds then what the hell are we doing over here??

Run Watson Run!! Put him into designed runs. Let him see the hits coming. He's losing the magic he once had with his feet trying to satisfy his coaches wish for a pocket passer.

I see happy feet even more than usual. Only thing left will be to damage Watson to the point where he just balls up at the first sign of any pressure. Its happening - maybe not in huge dramatic chunks, but OBrien is ruining Deshaun Watson.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

15. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Turbo boost!

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Watching Patrick Mahomes under Andy Reid... *sigh*...

17. Put You On Game

Why can't they use DJ like how the Saints use Kamara. They're both around the same size. DJ is great when he's in space and he's a great receiver

18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

David Johnson is bigger and no where near as quick or fast as Kamara.

Duke is actually same size and weight but maybe not as shifty as Kamara.

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

wasnt that the first play of the game??

Tytus Howard my goodness I get the "not my guy" guide to blocking assingments, but thats TJ Watt over there. Philosophically there needs to be two guys on him most of the game, and not even for the FIRST GD PLAY OF THE GAME could they prepare for a DPOY. This is bad man.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No that one was later in the game, I believe second half.
    Honestly looks like a missed assignment or confusion on play. Howard sets up outside while Fells chips inside. Definitely miscommunication

Verbal Christ likes this.