1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Saints

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Well look, I know the offense sputtered in the 4th, but yeah, the defense gave up 40 points. Kareem Jackson got embarrassed, Quin got smoked, there was no pass rush, etc. The defense looked bad.

That said, this team isn't going to win in the playoffs or the division based on the defense. (lol at the "is the defense better than the offense?" thread) It also wasn't expected to. They can't give up 40 points and expect the offense to win the game for them, but the offense can't botch up the 4th quarter and give the other team short fields or quick drives to let them keep scoring.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's pretty much it. Not sure why everyone is so hyper-focused on whose fault it is.

Even special teams were horrible in the 4th quarter.

The first Houston drive of the quarter started on the 14 instead of the 27 because of an illegal block. Then, a horrible punt gives the ball to NO on the 49 and the comeback officially begins...

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the offense sputtered with two touchdowns to answer the saints. football games have ebbs and flows, the defense needed to make a stop especially when the saints were down. they didn't. they didn't even make it difficult.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Bright Side:

Colts are 0-3, Painter took over for Collins and looked nearly as bad. They're out of it.

Jags are 1-2 and Blaine Gabbert isn't taking that limp offense over the hump (Carolina gave up 28 and 30 points going in and the Jags only managed 10). They play the Chargers (and were already creamed by the Jets) while we beat the Dolpins and face the Raiders. I like our chances here.

Titans are tied with us and stunned the Ravens...but Chris Johnson has been averaging 2 yards a carry and Kenny Britt is likely out for the year after looking ready to explode on the league.

Yesterday was sour - but there's no reason to think we aren't taking the division. I don't expect to get a bye...but hosting the better wildcard matchup should be there if we take care of business.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed. The Texans WILL host a playoff game.
    After the 'HARDEST schedule in Football'
    Looks like we might have the SOFTEST schedule in foot ball this year
    [which is why it would have been a great time to bring in Cowher]
    but
    This year will secure Kubiak at least 3 more years

Rocket River

6. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I give up all hope if the freaking tacks end up winning the division. (still think the Texans will)

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You're conveniently cherry-picking here, and gosh darn it! Forcing me to rip apart a guy I overall quite like.

2008:
    Loss: 2 INTs; 75.6 QBR at 12-4 Pittsburgh
    Loss: 3 INTs; 27.8 QBR at 13-3 Tennessee
    As mentioned: Outstanding against 11-5 Miami
    Loss: 1 INT; 3 sacks; 69.5 QBR at 10-6 Minnesota
    Win: 0 INTs; 90.1 QBR vs. 13-3 Tennessee
    Quality opponent record: 2-3

2009:
    Loss: 1 INT; 55.9 QBR vs 9-7 NYJets
    As mentioned: Very nearly great at 10-6 Arizona – but did throw game-winning pick 6
    As mentioned: Outstanding at 10-6 Cincinnati
    Loss: 2 INTs at 14-2 Indianapolis; did have team in position to tie with 49-yard FG
    Loss: 2 INTs; 87.8 QBR vs 14-2 Indianapolis
    As mentioned: Very, very good vs 10-6 New England (in a game that meant zero to NE)
    Quality opponent record: 2-4

2010:
    Win: 67.5 QBR vs 10-6 Indianapolis
    Loss: 1 INT; 53.1 QBR vs 10-6 NYG
    As mentioned: Outstanding vs 10-6 KC Chiefs
    Loss: 1 INT; 70.2 QBR at 10-6 Indianapolis
    As mentioned: Average vs 9-7 San Diego: 0 TDs; 1 INT (not his fault)
    As mentioned: Very good at 10-6 NYJets
    Loss: 2 TDs, 2 TOs at 10-6 Philadelphia
    As mentioned: Very good vs 12-4 Baltimore – but did throw game-winning pick 6
    Quality opponent record: 2-6

Overall quality opponent record: 6-13 with 24 INTs.

I don’t blame him for the record, especially last year. But in those 13 losses, he threw 18 INTs. You would be hard-pressed to argue his career his marked with a slew breakout performances in big games.

They can win with him… not because of him.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Um, cherry picking was what you asked for. Specific instances of playing well, particularly in the clutch, against good to great teams. No one is forcing you to crap on Schaub, bro.

9. Hey Now!

They did make a stop - first drive of the 4Q after the Texans went up 26-17. They forced a punt and Houston promptly went 3-and-out and Hartman hung a 34-yard punt on everyone. To me, that was the turning point. Grind out some clock and eventually get off a decent punt there - make the Saints work.... and I think you hold on and win.

10. conquistador#11

Agreed. It felt like an oilers game back in the day. Entire team melt down.

What I don't understand is Wade playing a conservative prevent style D. It's like we haven't learned anything from the richard smith/frank bush days. this just in, a 40 year old Mark Brunell can pick you a part. And when Brees was being knocked down, he looked average. What do you know..a quaterback when being pressured looking average.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This is very true. That drive was a killer and that punt was brutal. Hartman is a good kickoff man, but it pains me that the Texans care so little about special teams that they still haven't had a good punter. The only reason we have a good kicker like Rackers is because Brown had such an epically disastrous season that they had no choice.

12. Hey Now!

You're right, you're right.

But his tendency to shrink is justifiably on my radar. I'm very curious to see what he does Sunday. (And really, the rest of this year as the pressure is on for them to win every week.) Based on how the Steelers have played this year - the Texans should win. They are, from what I've seen, a better team.

13. DonnyMost

If Schaub throws it more than 25 times next week I'm going to be worried.

I want a statline like 18/22 209 yards 1 td 0 int.

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

please site examples. seriously.

i just have a hard time believing that a QB who has had ONE winning season gonig into his 5th year has had "dozens of times" where he saved us.

maybe we just have a different definition of clutch.

15. DonnyMost

Already did on the last page.

But here's the link again.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That was a HORRIBLE sequence of events, no doubt.

But I maintain that, even if we get a couple of first downs and eat up a few more minutes on that drive, we still lose the game. Once the saints went to the 5-wideout set exclusively, it was only a matter of time.

Don't forget the TD that put us back in the lead was a complete fluke and should have been an INT. Saints would have most likely drove right down the field and gone ahead 40-26 instead of 40-33.

17. Hey Now!

I think there are two takes on Schaub, both with merit: 1) he's been better than people realize in "close and late" situations; 2) he has, overall, underperformed in big games with something on the line. (Note: games not 4Qs.)

18. DonnyMost

There were some other flukes in the game, too.

Like the fluke no-call on AJ getting raped at the goaline by two Saints DBs before the ball was even in their zipcode.

19. DonnyMost

This is absolutely true. But I think the Texans as a whole have underperformed in those situations. It's not as if Schaub is the one constantly driving us off a cliff. For the most part, he's been the guy trying to keep the car on the road... even though we've got a flat tire and a broken steering wheel. He's not Jeff Gordon, but he's not Captian Wrongway Peter Peachfuzz, either. More often than not he put us in a position to win, and it's hard to ask for much more.

20. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

that's b/c most of us expected the defense to get lit up in the 4th, at least to a degree. we're playing drew brees and the saints at home. they're going to score on you. period. end of story.

but at the same time, we all know how good our offense can be. and we all know the saints defense can be exposed... but when it mattered most our offense collapsed and a lot of that blame lays with matt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.