1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Saints

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. conquistador#11

Dammit. I always feel like I'm defending matt and Mario. I just want this team to win as a TEAM, then everyone starts looking clutch. Those elite players are just stat guys too, the other phases of the game didn't step up. We'll be great once foster gets back. I say sit him out against pitt...we'll need foster in Nov. and December.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

John McClain blames the offense as well ... Texans' red-zone offense deserves blame for loss to Saints ... so you must be obviously mistaken ;)

You do recall that the Texan offense put up 14 points in the fourth quarter, right?

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

So, he's Warren Moon to Matt Leinart's Cody Carlson?

I don't buy this "system" stuff, because nobody we've had come in has produced remotely on Matt's level.

Plus, he's been through 3 OCs and consistently produced through all of them.

That's not the hallmark of a "system" guy.

He's just a quarterback that needs protection, a running game, and an opportunistic defense to win. You know, like most QBs do.

1 person likes this.
  4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I was responding specifically to someone claiming we were griping the Texans didn't score *more*, which is not true.

The offense played well enough to win, no question. But they also undeniably contributed to the defense's crumble in the 4Q.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This was my issue last year.
    Sometimes the Offense leaves a poor defense exposed even more
    Yesterday
    They exposed a ok defense.

I guess the main issue . . is we expect more.

If a kid and his r****ded brother do something wrong.
    Though it mainly on the r****ded brother. .you blame the kid more
    cause.. he knows better

Rocket River
    Rocket River

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the short drives certainly dont help ,
    but there is still no excuse to give up 23 points
    in 4th, If the defense actually got some stops,
    they
    could have
    got off the field.
    If the defense got some stops
    , they could have given the offense another chance. Hell, if the
    defense held them to FGs, it would have
    helped.

7. Hey Now!

It's Kubiak's system. And look, I don't necessarily agree. I like Schaub. He's fine. But his tendency to shrink is on my radar. I'm very anxious to see how he responds against another quality team Sunday.

But isn't the mark of a great QB his ability to overcome his team's shortcomings? I understand there's no one-man team beyond Vince Young. But when the pocket collapses, when the running game is failing; when health is an issue...

Hold up - I like Schaub. I'm slipping down a path I don't belong. I think he's a top 10 QB and that the team can win with him.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I still disagree and would say you're taking a limited view and leaving out a lot to make your point.

a) Left 16 possible points vs Left 14 possible points
    --> Per drive, we left 4 points each time in the 1st vs 7 each in the 4th. (by your logic)

--> We gained 12 points in the 4 early drives vs 0 in the 4th.

-->Saints answered with 10 points off those four first half drives vs 15 off the two second half drives.

-->As we joked all week, it comes down to outscoring your opponents. The four FG drives = 12-10 (net +2). The two second half drives = 0-15 (net -15). I simply can't agree that the first half drives were "worse" than the two in the 4th quarter.*

b) Failing 4 times inside the 15 is a bigger deal than failing 2 times on our side of the field.

-->That's a touch misleading.
    82 yd drive
    71 yd drive
    25 yd drive
    55 yd drive
    vs
    1 yd and a 34 yd punt
    0 yd and a INT 13 yds downfield

-->Not cashing in on Joseph's INT was definitely something to dislike.

-->Again, those four drives chewed up almost a full quarter of play, kept Brees on the sidelines, and resulted in kickoffs that gave the Saints a full field to deal with. The 4th quarter drives combined for 77 seconds of clock and gave them the ball on our side of the field twice.

* I do want to say, and I said it yesterday, I agree that the Red Zone Shrinkage Syndrome bit us in the rear end. 16-10 at half time and helped keep a very dangerous, explosive, big play Saints team in the game at home.

I'll also note, NFL red zone efficiency usually is ~ 50-55% leaguewide, and 65-75% is usually the end-of-year best average by a team. So, I don't go away thinking the Texans should have gone 4-4 in the Red Zone. 8-12 points is a little more fair. I don't think a soul would be griping if we kicked one or two FGs - it was 4 straight that was disappointing.

But yes, 28-10 or 24-10 at halftime vs 16-10 is a huge difference. I agree that could have paved the way for a win as well. I just don't agree that it caused the loss more so than the 15 pt in 5 min massive swing that coughed up the lead and drowned us in a tide of momentum.

If there's a place to grab per-quarter stats (including QBR) for an individual game, I don't know where it is. Didn't/Don't have time at work to try and compile everything from yesterday.

9. Hey Now!

Apples and bowling balls, though. That defense last year gave ZERO indication they could stop anybody. Opposing offenses could have started drives in the parking lot and still would have likely scored.

When the offense and special teams play were effective yesterday, the defense held Brees and the Saints to 17 points through 3Qs, forcing stops and turnovers. Once the field got shortened, the Saints started scoring in bunches. Not a coincidence.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The 2nd TD was a total fluke play that really should have been a saints INT. After the 1st play of the 4th quarter, the offense did nothing good for the rest of the game.

That being said, the defense was just as bad.

Truly, I just think the 4th quarter was a bad matchup for the Texans (really, ima??). A pass-happy offense in 5-wideout catch-up mode vs. a defense with 1 good CB. Nothing good can come of that.

11. DonnyMost

Yep. And he's not great, and never will be. Oh well. Guess we'll have to settle for "pretty good". Sucks to be us. :eek:

12. Hey Now!

Right. And what "pretty good" means is that we'll occassionally have to settle for a choke job like yesterday, where he was handed the game to win and he gagged. It happens. They ALL do it. (coughMrTomBrady4INTscoughcough.)

Now, having said that - it ain't the first time it's happened. I haven't looked back - but can you name a big game/quality opponent where Schaub played great and didn't do anything to drive the team into the ditch? I'm racking my brain....

13. msn

msn Member

As an aside, earlier DonnyMost referenced "Rothlisfailure".

For the record, I hope Matt Schaub in the next decade or so "fails" as spectacularly as "Rothisfailure". Minus the off-the-field complete a-hole-ness, of course.

14. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

The defense played well enough to win...Sure there were lapses and then there was Kareem Jackson ..... But you couldnt ask for a better defensive performance in the 1st half(considering its the Saints , and we are who we think we are)... We ALL knew that eventually Brees was gonna break us down like Iverson on an isolation play against the Knicks, so thats why people(IMO of course) not pinpointin the D as badly...

15. DonnyMost

Not sure what you qualify as "playing great" or "quality opponent", but you might find something you agree with here.

A few quality teams might be: 2010 Chiefs, Chargers, Jets, Ravens. 2009 Cardinals, Bengals, Colts, Patriots. 2008 Dolphins.

#1655 DonnyMost, Sep 26, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  16. DonnyMost

Dude, he's my fantasy QB and he's sucking butt for me :( plus I'm just getting into smack talk Steeler-hatin' mode. Don't take it too seriously :p

17. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

This is like when everyone says "Reggie Bush needs space to be productive"....Who the hell doesnt??....He has 2 out of the 3 virtues youve suggested to be an elite QB... Name a QB that has all of those things??...Answer not 1

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Yep.

Offense burned 17 minutes off the clock in the first half, for a per drive average of 3:20 (minus the single play before the half). 7.5 minutes in the 3rd quarter (3:45 per drive).

5 minutes in the 4th (1:16 per drive, and only one out of the four made it past the 60 second mark).

Defenses wear down over the course of a game anyway. Ours was clearly gassed when they had to keep coming out onto the field (5 Saints drives for almost a full 10 minutes) and were facing a higher tempo spread offense. Brees did a great job getting rid of the ball quickly and the attacking front 5 couldn't give the secondary the help it needed.

All in all, this was an absolute team loss. I think the WRs are the only group 100% free of any criticism. Well, as long as you don't talk about Jacoby being a no-show. And on the silver lining side - it should also be said that almost everyone on the team chipped in serious positives that nearly won the game.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Someone on 790 this morning called in and said that the defense did what it needed to do and that the offense was 100% to blame. He said he could live with the defense giving up 40 a game, its reasonable

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish you were joking but sadly i believe you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.