1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

So Texans are more around 11m

2. SuraGotMadHops

"again?"

Texans NEVER received praise from the national media, even when they were going to the playoffs regularly they were labeled as pretenders and fools gold by the pundits...and the pundits were right.

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I could see it happening. Titans and Colts are heading downward and Colts will have either Richardson or Levis. Lawrence could get injured or the Jags could just Jag. It’s not like we have the Chiefs, Bills, etc. in our division.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It wouldn't be terribly popular - but I'd 100% be down for the Texans exploring a deal for Pierce. I would absolutely trade him for Jeudy. And I'd deal him for a 2 or even a 3 in this draft.

5. raining threes

With the ability to create another 5.2 mil when Kirksey is cut.

6. raining threes

I would trade him for Juedy if Juedy agreed to an extension. I wouldn't trade him for a 2nd/3rd.

Hey Now! and Astrodome like this.
  7. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I would trade him for Jeudy if you could guarantee we get Bijan at 12. But I bet someone jumps us when they know we are going RB.

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

9. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I really think Jerry Jeudy is being overrated in here, he maybe great in college, but his stats in NFL doesnt impress me, hasnt reached 1000 yards in any season, one that really concerns me is that he has 269 targets in his careers but only 157 catches, and only 9 TDs, in 2021 he went 0 TDs.
    Also had him in fantasy, and many times he had a dud game.

According to this page: https://denversports.com/2101062/drops-remain-a-big-problem-for-denver-broncos-offense/

That said, Jeudy’s drop rate — one every 5.7 catchable passes — is a concern, since it calls to mind his rookie season, when he had 12 drops — a rate of one every 5.3 catchable passes.

So I wouldnt trade a great RB like Pierce (in his rookie contract) for Jeudy.

UTSA2step, ROXRAN, body slam and 5 others like this.
  10. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I keep looking for a site that's current and makes estimates like Statcast does for baseball. But even though they also do the NFL, it doesn't seem the same caliber or kept as current.

I just have to trust Caserio at this point to figure it out.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/4341251/2023/03/24/nfl-wide-receivers-free-agency/

[…] The Broncos have had numerous discussions about Jeudy and Sutton, and the Cardinals have made calls about Hopkins, according to league sources. But the asking prices have remained high on a couple of fronts because the Broncos and Cardinals are hoping to exercise the leverage of having the supply when other teams have the demand.

The Broncos have told teams they want at least a first-round pick for Jeudy, according to league sources. They haven’t felt any need to give away the 15th pick of the 2020 draft, who only turns 24 in April because new head coach Sean Payton could still find the spark to help him reach his potential.

But as rival teams analyze Jeudy, they’re seeing a receiver who has missed time each year with injuries and has yet to amass enough production over long, consistent stretches. It’s fair to wonder how much of the latter critique has been circumstantial, as the Broncos have been one of the worst offensive teams in the league for three years.

Either way, to this point there’s been no deal as the Broncos continue to think more highly of Jeudy than other teams, at least in terms of price point. Sutton’s name has also come up, but he isn’t viewed as a No. 1 receiver, so the Broncos’ asking price has remained too high for him as well, according to league sources.

Hopkins is in a different category. He has unquestionably been one of the NFL’s premier offensive threats since his breakout season in 2015, but he turns 31 in June, has been slowed by injuries for a couple of years and served a six-game suspension last season for violating the performance-enhancing drug policy.

With a new Cardinals regime, headed by GM Monti Ossenfort and coach Jonathan Gannon, rival teams know Hopkins would be a salary dump, which significantly reduces his trade value. That’s why teams like the Patriots, who had an early conversation with the Cardinals, don’t plan to pursue him unless there’s a substantial change in philosophy, according to a league source.

Higgins, meanwhile, is entering the final year of his contract and has been another name to watch because teams know the Bengals also have to pay quarterback Joe Burrow and wideout Ja’Marr Chase. General manager Duke Tobin said there are no plans to move Higgins, and that proclamation seems to line up as rival teams still don’t believe he’s available, according to league sources. (Then again, there has been a long list of players over the years who were publicly deemed “unavailable” until they privately became available, typically based on the tenor of contract negotiations.)

Beckham remains the most high-profile free agent, and he has drawn interest, according to sources close to the receiver and around the league. Thirteen teams attended his workout this month in Arizona, and they generally came away impressed. They noted that he still looked like a starter, cutting and changing direction with fluidity while catching the ball extremely well.

Teams also said he was still working his way back into shape and didn’t look as explosive as he did in his prime, which should be expected for a 30-year-old with two ACL repairs. It’s not a knock — just a reality. Beckham visited teams toward the end of the 2022 regular season but wasn’t healthy enough to contribute for the stretch run, so there shouldn’t be any false expectations at this early point in the offseason.

It’s unclear what type of contract Beckham would require to sign, but a few team executives believed an incentive-laden deal would be fair under the circumstances. There’s still time for this to shake out.

This is all why teams have been disciplined and not desperate over the past couple of weeks. Plus, this is a golden era for receivers in the draft. The talent is continuously available, and the offensively tilted rule changes have yielded more opportunities for these gifted wideouts to stand out earlier than perhaps a decade ago.

“Because of the rules, I think wide receiver is a position you can make an impact early in your career from a draft standpoint,” a third executive said. “You can always find wide receivers.”

A fourth executive added, “It’s a position that we think is easily replaceable because of the draft every year. The price is going up to $20-25 million (per year) for a good one. Most teams can’t pay two of them, so they try to get an asset to replace one with a draft pick. It’s a never-ending cycle.”

There are times when it’s certainly appropriate to take advantage of a loaded market or to pay a transcendent talent who is already on your roster. It’s unlikely there were any remorseful buyers from the booming market in 2022.

But this offseason is down, the money has reflected as much and the high-profile holding patterns have remained as a result.

12. Hey Now!

He had a very good, productive rookie season & then was hurt much of '21. A deeper dive into some of his next gen stats paints a much better picture. His separation rate is elite, for instance.

As for his catch %: 1) for his career, he's 59%; elite WRs are generally 65-70% - so while you'd like the % be higher, it's not terribly problematic. With just six more catches a season, his catch % would be 65%. Also, his QBs have been Drew Lock, Teddy Bridgewater and Russell Wilson's decomposing corpse.

Jeudy remains an incredibly talented WR who has likely been underutilized by a terrible organization.

I'm not sure Pierce is a "great" running back. But even if he is, how great is he still going to be in 2-3 years when this team (hopefully) ascends and he has 400-600 additional carries? And how long after will he be able to sustain whatever his level of production?

To me, Jeudy is a much better investment in resources. He'll make a rookie QB better (and if it's Young, they played together in '20) and likely be productive longer.

13. Hey Now!

Why are people so amped to use resources *right now* on a running back? It may very rank last among priorities for a team in the Texans' current state.

Start to go down the list of things this team needs - not just short-term but players who will be part of an ascending team in 2-3 years... QB, WR, TE... I'd rather upgrade the interior offensive & defensive lines; I'd rather find pass rushers; middle linebackers who can cover sideline-to-sideline...

red5rocket likes this.
  14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’m with you on this, but I am a proponent of Archane if you can get him in the 3rd round. I think he is going to be a weapon especially in the pass game for many years for whoever lands him. By all indications we are going to emphasize the run game and short passing game and having 3 really good RB’s covers us from another Pierce injury.

raining threes and Hey Now! like this.
  15. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

productive rookie season? he had 12 drops and only 3 TDs, and Pierce is definitely great, he performed great, he breaks so many tackles, I think you need a great RB to help a QB, so the defense has to guess, if you go with RB or with the QB, and you can really sell the play action pass or the RPOs you could get with Young.
    He only missed 6 games, he played 10 games in 2021, for me Jeudy is not worth a 1st or 2nd round pick, and that is whats asking Denver, or Pierce.
    Pierce would have become the Offensive Rookie of the Year if he didnt get injured, and Texans let him rest.

Also Pierce is great since he is in a rookie contract and he was only a 4th round pick.

raining threes, Qan and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

This is so true. The elite, game changing receivers (Hill, Brown, Chase, Jefferson, etc) are worth every penny they get or will get. But it’s not worth paying a 2nd tier guy 20 million. Cooks was nice but clearly didn’t move the needle.

J.R. likes this.
  17. Sppy1

Sppy1 Member

18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I know it’s a bit early but here’s a look at notable unrestricted free agents next offseason:

Mike Evans
    Chris Jones
    Cam Jordan
    Trey Hendrickson
    DJ Reader
    Tyler Boyd
    Tee Higgins
    Tony pollard
    Nick Bosa
    Ed Oliver
    Dorance Armstrong

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Yeah, seems like a weird conversation to be having. 4th round is now investing too much in a RB?