1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 8, 2023.

1. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I totally agree.
    That's what makes the Cooks situation even worse!

I also don't like the receivers that look to be available at 1-12 either (Johnston, Addison, JSN).
    I like Hyatt (we NEED a deep threat) but only after a trade down.

I really think 1-12's a great spot to get DL/edge rusher though.
    And there's several I like there too

2. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Yeah I think it's probably a pride thing.

Cooks made up his mind last year he wanted out and wouldn't allow even Demeco to get him to reverse his decision.

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  3. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Actually when I looked at Stingley's college tape even from his glorious freshman season at LSU I really didn't like some of his technique.
    He had/has a BAD habit of turning his back to his man early and running backwards in man coverage.
    If you guess wrong you can end up 15 yards away from him.

Never understood why someone that runs a 4.33 would need to bail that early to make sure and not get ran by.
    I'm also not one of these fanboys that think if you flipped DSjr and Sauce Gardner's teams with each other the results would be the same.
    So there's a VERY HIGH BAR that's been set for Stingley to look like a good pick for me.

As for Green I didn't want to draft a guard that high but if I did it would have been Tyler Smith.
    Not to mention Green's more the road grader type and it remains to be seen how he'll fit into the zone blocking scheme even with improved health/play.

I'm ALL FOR drafting another tight end high and running 2 te sets.
    The Shanahan offense uses those frequently anyway.
    There's several te's I like in this draft too.

But that still doesn't take away the fact that we absolutely HAVE TO be able to threaten all 3 areas of the field (short, medium and long) or else the defense will stack the box against 2 te/2 rb sets!

I can't fathom starting a season with Nico Collins as your #1 wideout, even with an improved te contingent!
    And there's only a few receivers in the draft that can get deep regularly that I like for us.
    Mainly Hyatt, Dell and T. Scott.
    Luckily 1or 2 of those should be available in round 3.

Nook likes this.
  4. Landry's Tooth

I understand the point but you're talking about the first 5-7 years of QB1s career.

The idea is to help the qb as much as possible. How good would a young Russell Wilson be without Marshawn?

A committee approach may also extend the shelf life by 1-3 years...

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. raining threes

They're rookies some develop faster than others. Let's get them healthy and see how they do this year. BTW, I didn't like the Stingley pick at the time. Never pick a guy that high that has Lisfranc issues.

Lovie worked out both Stingley and Sauce personally, so I think Stingley was his call. But Caserio should have overruled.

7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I also think 1-12 is where the bijan pick would be. So instead of him (that’s a packed RB room with him as well) I would want Nolan Smith 1st, and JSN second)

dream would be smith 1-12, best TE at 2-33 (Schultz is only 1 year) and then Dell or Hyatt after that.

raining threes likes this.
  9. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I agree about giving players time to develop but Sauce has set an all-pro bar with no significant injury history and it will be VERY hard imo for DSjr to match or exceed that unless for some reason Sauce falters after his rookie year.
    So imo even if DSjr turns into a good or even very good corner I will consider it a BAD pick because of what Nick left on the table (Sauce).

Also I posted multiple times that Lovie has stated on video that as soon as HE talked to DSjr HE knew DSjr would be the pick!
    So I think Nick deferred to Lovie on AT LEAST all the defensive picks in the draft and probably more than that.
    Remember when Christian Harris was still on board in the 3rd round last year and our war room celebrated?
    If you watch it's Lovie that's the most celebrative and Nick is too but kind of looking at Lovie when he does (deferring).

Green seems like a Lovie type pick as well as defensive coaches like Smith usually like "3 yards and a cloud of dust" offense with a QB that doesn't take chances that will give the other team turnovers.
    So imo Green "fits" the type of offense Lovie's always run.

And if Nick's not really making the decisions on draft/ roster moves then WHY IS HE GM?!!

What's the difference between his regime and B.O.B.'s where he was coach and GM at the same time?!

10. raining threes

Caserio and Lovie worked together. Caserio's job is to setup trades, both in the draft and Cooks type trades. Also to negotiate contracts, contact possible FA's that the HC wants and see if parameters of a deal can be worked out etc...

Same with Ryans, Caserio is getting the players Ryans wants on his team, with the scouts help. In short they're working together. It's been a long time since the GM/HC have been working together to get the players the HC wants down on Kirby. So it's certainly not recognizable to some. This is how they do things in Kansas City/Buffalo/New England/NYG etc... the HC/GM work in concert with each other.

Shark44 likes this.
  11. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

If Green takes a step up and they hit on the center position the Texans will have a young, top 10 oline.

Two Sandwiches, red5rocket and J.R. like this.
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

How does this change with the additions of the last couple of weeks? In particular the addition of Shaq Mason and Michael Dieter.

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It already has Shaq Mason accounted for, hence the high grade at RG. Deiter was just signed a few hours ago, so I'd assume that C score will go up once they factor that in.

14. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Crazy that some ppl were down to let tunsil go and move Howard to LT.. lol.

15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Bring in Newton. Draft Richardson to learn under one of his heroes.

17. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I know he’s older but Bobby Wagner would’ve been a nice veteran pick up

jch1911 likes this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Doesn't he want to play for a contender?

Nook likes this.
  19. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

He does…we are :rolleyes:

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. Sppy1

Sppy1 Member