1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

The Texans take another "L" in a trade.

They actually EXTENDED Cooks last year and now had to eat $6,000,000 of his contract to move him for a 5th and 6th rounder.

Maybe Easterby deserves the blame on this too, he and Cooks were close.... but pretty soon these "L's" are going to start landing in Caserio's lap.

We can't win them all, but we need to win more than we have been.

Overall the draft has been at best mediocre, free agent signings have been non eventful and the performance has obviously been bad.

Let's see what happens with DeMeco on board, and Easterby gone - a new QB coming into town as well.

However, if things are not looking really solid by this time next year, Caserio will rightfully be on the hot seat.

desihooper, jch1911 and Red.Glare like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Nope, it feels like they wanted him gone at almost any price.

What concerns me is that we are almost never winning these types of trades.

rfrocket and jch1911 like this.
  3. cbass

cbass Member

Texans won the Deshaun Watson trade imo.

cmoak1982 and Nook like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

I think that is fair to say.

On it's face, dealing a player of Watson's ability and age should get a huge haul but he had a tremendous amount of baggage.

The Texans ended up getting #1s in 2022, 2023 and 2024 and a couple third rounders and a fourth rounders.

The 2022 #1 turned into Kenyon Green and a 4th and 5th rounder.

Green didn't look at that great as a rookie, but there is still hope as he just turned 22 years old.

UTSA2step, jch1911 and cbass like this.
  5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’m actually happy with Caserio. I’m still happy with last year’s draft. Stingley will be great in the right system, Harris looked good after the injury, our guard was blowing people off the line, but got exposed in the pass game like many rookies will do. Pierce and Pitre were great picks. He has re-signed Tunsil which he had to do, brought in a solid WR and DT and added depth.

My main disappointment so far in this off-season is not getting a center, but maybe they really like someone in the draft or are lining up a trade. Looks like Young or Stroud will fix QB at least for a while (in the case of Young). I suspect we get Nolan Smith at 12 and a starting TE at 2.33. As to the 1 year contracts, I believe that’s the best strategy as well since we will have monstrous money available next year, not to mention at least 2 first round picks, and it gives guys an audition to see if we want to re-sign them. This re-build seems to be going very well in my eyes. Patience my friend. You are one of the best posters on this board and I enjoy your in-sight, but have you ever liked a GM?

red5rocket and Nook like this.
  6. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Watson makes up for many bad trades.

Nook likes this.
  7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Caseiro drafted Stingley, Pitre, Pierce all in the same draft. They all look like hits, and if Ken Green comes to play then thats about as good as you can ask for.

Obv if things don't turn around eyes will start to shift, but it does feel like this is the first year they are truly serious about the future of the team when before they were more concerned with fixing BOB/Easterby's mess.

Caserio has been a B plus for me thus far.

8. tmacfor35

Caseiro drafted Stingley, Pitre, Pierce all in the same draft. They all look like hits, and if Ken Green comes to play then thats about as good as you can ask for.

Obv if things don't turn around eyes will start to shift, but it does feel like this is the first year they are truly serious about the future of the team when before they were more concerned with fixing BOB/Easterby's mess.

Caserio has been a B plus for me thus far.

9. Landry's Tooth

Most of what you complain about is due to Cooks coming off his worst season.

If he had 90 catches and 1,300 yards there wouldn't be an issue with the money. This wasn't Randall Cobb...

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Does Stingley look like a hit? Based on what?

Nook likes this.
  11. tmacfor35

Stingley played pretty well last year and has enough tape including college that he will be a good player with coaching.

UTSA2step likes this.
  12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Lol isn’t that the crux of every bad contract?

Nook likes this.
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I like Wypler and Tippmann at 66/73. Tippmann could be the utility linemen since his measurables are a bit big for a center and might be a good fit on the goal line, though Wypler might be better at getting under the pads.

But signing Tunsil was a huge step formulating an OL which is competitive for 2023.

WR
    SR Metche
    LT Tunsil
    LG Green
    C
    RG Mason
    RT Howard
    TE
    WR Woods

I like Wypler better with Bryce and Tippmann better with AR at center. 50-50 with Stroud.

We have to wait and see what DeMeco envisions for some returnees. Is Q just a center or does he have better skills if there is a better option at C?

I know none of this. While I'd like to be a fly on the wall in the player analysis, it's best I'm not or I might spill the beans.

#1353 Marshall Bryant, Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

#1354 Rockets34Legend, Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  15. Rockets34Legend

32. Houston Texans
    It'll take time, but the arrivals of guard Shaq Mason, receiver Robert Woods, and safety Jimmie Ward, among others, are a good start for the Texans as they rebuild this offseason. The next step is to draft the right quarterback.

UTSA2step likes this.
  16. Rockets34Legend

17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

He reminds me of McCullers. IF he's on the field, he's a positive. H has a history of injuries. Bryce does not, but it's still a concern because of his size.

I'm still fascinated with the idea of going for Anderson and taking a chance on the 2024 draft for Williams or Mays. I guess I'd also like to see Keenum starting before relegating him to permanent backup. But what do you expect from a former Cougar Guard (Shasta's 3 and 4)?

18. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, I wasn't really impressed with Stingley or Green at picks #3 and #15, and that plays a big part in my views about the 2022 draft results for the Texans. They did do well or Pitre and Pierce.

A lot of it is going to come down to Stinlgley and Green.

If one of them plays really well then it is a solid draft - if both play well, then it is potentially an awesome draft.

raining threes and jch1911 like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed, but that is the reality of the situation.

He didn't get 1,300 yards and as a result the Texans ate 6 million.

raining threes and jch1911 like this.
  20. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Let him fall to you unless Tippmann also comes off the board.

Sooty likes this.