1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Not bad at all honestly. Wish we could have got more for Cooks but we needed the extra money.

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

$20 million a year guaranteed in football boy you better not get any false starts next year

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Seems like they have to be targeting this guy unless they plan to go with a rookie right?

raining threes likes this.
  4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Texans are setup for a rookie QB. I think they address WR needs with the 1.2 pick( there second first round pick). Great move as Tunsil wants to be here and is being rewarded for being a good player.

TexasRedd likes this.
  5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Think fans tend to overvalue their own players. Cooks is a solid WR but is also turning 30 and came with a sizable cap hit. Surprised Caserio still had to shell out cash to get this deal done though.

Nook, MadMax and red5rocket like this.
  6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can’t believe Texans went with another bad 3 year deal for tunsil. Of course they also put themselves in this terrible position by giving home the first one so they are kind of stuck.
    Between tunsil and cooks, not a great day showcasing the Texans deal making ability

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Yup. A rookie QB gives you flexibility for the next 4-5 years. Tunsil on a shorter deal gives him protection and some time to work on his ultimate replacement.

8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Wow, that's pretty disappointing return. Guessing his contract made it hard to get much better. At least we got a 5th RD pick now, lol.

So all malcontents gone now is the most positive result here. Also, getting rid of that contract is a positive. Can we sign a WR/TE now please?

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-101-nfl-free-agents-of-2023-who-are-the-best-players-available Anyone for Dalton Schultz? Send Cowgirls a big fu by signing him and giving us most competent TE we've had since Owen.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I would for sure

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Quessenberry was rated higher than Kelly by PFF last year.

No Worries likes this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

This is a super TE draft. I think we have our best TE for years with the 2.33 pick. We need to sign a vet center and another LB or trade for them and use 1.12 on defense. Use one of our 3rds for Achane and our offense is set. If we can address LB our defensive will greatly improve.

If the QB at 1.2 can perform this year, we are playoff contenders.

12. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

welp he was still rank as one of the best LT last year so I don’t mind paying him now

red5rocket and houston19519 like this.
  13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I take it like this:

We're admitting we're drafting a quarterback at 2. Pay for his protection now and try to find his replacement in the future. Can't backload a five year deal because you'll have to pay for your quarterback then, if he's any good. Maybe you can work it to where you can fit both under contract then, maybe not.

For Tunsil, it's smart. Like Mitchell Schwartz said, he will get his fourth contract at a decent age and can make even more money as the market resets one or two more times. Tunsil seems like a smart dude.

I like this move on both ends.

I just wish he wouldn't get so many false starts. Though, I feel like he gets called more than other tackles might, in the same situation, for some reason, just from watching games.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think the false starts are a given. One of the reasons he is such a good pass blocker is getting off the snap quickly to get in position.

red5rocket likes this.
  15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Yes, it is a great TE draft and we can still take one at 33. You need three TEs to function and we have a 2nd year guy on the roster right now who saw limited snaps. Bring is a proven vet producer on a 2-3 year deal and that helps solidify the position and gives rookie QB a competent safety valve while rookie learns the ropes. I don't see a vet Center left that I like, would rather have flexibility to take one at 33 as well and maybe a TE in 3rd or 4th.

16. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I like your take on this, the reason I think Caserio does the high pay short-term contract is it protects the Texans as well. If Tunsil gets career threatening injury, they don't have long-term money tied up. Also, takes advantage of cap space with rookie QB and allows him a couple of years to find a rookie to develop at LT if he doesn't want to pay that 4th deal.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Watch that tight end at Notre Dame go late first or right before we pick.

18. raining threes

The TE draft class is better than the TE FA market.

Rockets34Legend likes this.
  19. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

My son did a mock and all 4 TEs I really like went in late first--I think that's possible, but not likely. If it happens, hopefully one of the top centers is available.

20. raining threes

I'm still for signing a vet LB.

Drafting something like this.

1-12 Nolan Smith
    2-32 Washington
    2-46 trade back into the 2nd for the best Center prospect available.
    3-64. Achane