1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 8, 2023.

1. Landry's Tooth

If your leading point is a mispelled name you need to do better.

You say backup and I'm saying split carries. Let's not forget he missed a lot of time to injuries and had a couple duds for games. If you get a better rb than Dameon then you aren't starting Dameon.

I don't think it matters who starts if they are both good...

Most teams run 2 back committee now and we have 1 at most depending on his health.

2. Landry's Tooth

McLain said on the radio that Robinson is thought of as a top 10 pick and a special back.

If you could get with 80-90% probability you are getting prime Derrick Henry for 5 years that is worth it at 12. That will help this offense so much and extend Pierce's career...

If scouts have Robinson as best on board I wouldn't hesitate taking him at 12 and just go run over the opponent... makes the play action and rpos more deadly...

gucci888 and rfrocket like this.
  3. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

I understand your position.
    I also agree that BR's a "special" back.
    Don't need McClain to tell me that I just watch him run.
    Big, strong, agile, elusive with good top end speed and good hands too.
    And what I really like is that he accelerates really quickly for a larger back.

But I just can't justify #12 on him, especially with where we're at in roster building.
    Fair or not quarterbacks are usually overdrafted and rb's underdrafted!
    So that means you can usually get good value on rb's at whatever round you select them.
    That's why it's not just "what I can get at #12", but how close to that can I get 2 rounds later!

My draft philosophy is 95% go BPA wherever you're picking at.
    But a high 1st on a position that you can get good value at later, has a short shelf life (av. rb career appr. 3.5 yr iirc), high injury rate, is at a position where we already have a quality starter and also is a piece usually added last in roster building, well, that's one of the few instances where I forego BPA.

I just think we can get 85-90% of BR's value in the 3rd round which helps mitigate the injury risk inherent to the position.
    But he is a "special" back.

red5rocket likes this.
  4. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I was trying to make light of the situation but ok…

Zeke and Pollard split carries…one is considered the starter. Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon split carries…we know who the starter is. Mark Ingram and Kamara split carries and we knew who the starter was there. I never disagreed with have a two back committee. A thunder and lightning. I even mentioned earlier that I liked Roschon Johnson and Israel Abanikanda in the mid to late rounds.

Pierce also mentioned that he missed those last few games because Caserio held him out. His duds was because the interior oline was being pushed around. It wasn’t him. Half of his carries start with him being hit before he gets to the line of scrimmage. You saying it doesn’t matter if they both start but if we get a second back and he starts, Pierce will definitely have a problem with that. Especially after having a good rookie year. All players have egos.

The only back in this draft I see better than Pierce is Bijan. Gibbs and Achane are better receiving backs but not running. There’s just too many needs to draft a RB in the first two rounds.

5. conquistador#11

Don't think they're getting more than a 5th now. Mishandled like the Gordon situation.

Lyric message is "count me out' . ha.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

At this point, why does anyone care about Cooks being here? Except for the fact that his trade value has plummeted, get him off the damn team already. Its a fresh start and we dont need his karma around the young guys.

red5rocket likes this.
  7. Landry's Tooth

I agree but my line of thinking at 12 is don't care... If I'm picking at 12 I'm taking best weapon on my grades... whether TE, WR, or RB...

Half a season of Pierce proved he's a really good back. He also had trouble getting on the field and didn't handle a full load in college. Everyone agrees we could use one but just later.

What if we had 2 backs that could consistently get us 4.5 a carry?

One could get hurt and the offense doesn't miss a beat. That would help Young or Stroud more than Addison.

If we can get that in 3rd round then fantastic. I just think the uncertainty goes up a lot...

Then for Robinson in particular... for marketing he could be another Earl...

Bryce Young running RPO and bootlegs with Robinson and Pierce back there?

It's really tempting... I understand the thought about running backs going too high... I would just want a special back at least as good as Pierce.

How many backs taken ahead of Pierce last year were better? How many worse?

Just concerned about wasting a 3rd on just a guy who becomes an average backup.

ROXRAN and Kemahkeith like this.
  8. Landry's Tooth

I don't disagree in principal... just would lean on best player available because I feel we still need a major back with Pierce.

I think an elite top 5 back in the NFL with Pierce helps us more than WR or linebacker there.

I feel with Demeco and full year of Harris the defense is closer than it looks...

Do wonder if we could get Bijan at 15 or 16 and pickup a 4 to do it...

9. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

Why does Cooks think that people care enough about him that they are willing to decipher whatever BS message he is trying to convey...He and Easterby can go become missionaries in Timbuktu for all I care, just leave Houston, don't look back, you won't be missed...

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya he also mentioned wanting explosive plays and getting them on check downs too. Bijan, Archane, Gibbs and Spears would fit that bill. But also wonder if they’d want a bigger back for short yardage/blocking purposes.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Vrabel loves him some ex-Texans.

Randy Bullock
    Shyheim Carter
    Dylan Cole
    Chris Conley
    Zach Cunningham
    Dontrell Hilliard
    Lonnie Johnson
    Ben Jones
    Terrance Mitchell
    AJ Moore
    DeMarcus Walker

Brian Bell
    Shane Bowen
    Tim Kelly
    Bobby King
    Charles London
    Pat O’Hara

Eli Ankou(2021)
    D’Onta Foreman(2020-21)
    Kendall Lamm(2021)
    MyCole Pruitt(2018-21)
    David Quessenberry(2019-21)
    John Simon(2021)
    Jadeveon Clowney(2020)
    Johnathan Joseph(2020)
    Brooks Reed(2020)
    Kendrick Lewis(2018)

HstnSprtsFan101 and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Zach Charbonnet and Roschon Johnson are both 220lb.+.
    That's good size imo.
    Plus both are elusive for their size as well.
    And I know ZC has decent hands also, not sure about RJ.
    Remember we also have Troy Hairston for blocking/short yardage.

Tyjae Spears also isn't tiny at 195lb.
    Plus he has 10" hands which is part of why he's so good at catching out of the backfield.

I have NO PROBLEM whatsoever spending 2 draft choices on rb's this year.
    Charbonnet in the late 3rd and Spears in the 4th or 5th would be ideal imo and paired with Pierce and Hairston would make for a quality, versatile running back stable.
    Excellent runners that can catch as well.

Then the rest of the draft I want dt, edge(at least 1), og, ct, wr, qb lb and saf. (no special order - bpa).

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

So the Bears were using Fields the wrong way for awhile.

15. body slam

body slam Member

as far as adding a RB I would not mind the Texans taking a gamble on Perine, Solid back up that can catch the ball and it is not going to break the bank to sign him.

red5rocket and Kemahkeith like this.
  16. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I like that you put fat Aggie first.

houstonstime and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. Fantasma Negro

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

You want Carr?

cbass likes this.
  19. Qan

Qan Member

That's perfect. Texans needs to stay tf away from Carr. Don't need or want him.

Fulgore, red5rocket and cbass like this.
  20. Fantasma Negro

Carr > all the qbs in the 2023 draft. Signing Carr would best facilitate this rebuild because it gives you a proven vet that has seen nfl defenses and has been operating an nfl offense, it would give Nick the opportunity to address the other holes on the roster without worry about developing an unproven rookie qb. Its looking like we'll be drafting a guy and in the draft I think Stroud fits the incoming "Shanahan" offense the best, he just needs to learn to deal with pressure in the pocket better

Landry's Tooth likes this.