1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 8, 2023.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Purdy may even end up with one or more SB rings ... just by being a game manager. The 49ers may not need for Purdy to put the teams on his back and carry them. It is one way to build a team.

FWIW Trey Lance is no Brock Purdy. A cautionary tale.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Why give up draft picks for QBs that are not necessarily better than your choices this draft? Production-wise, only Williams is on par. He is going #1. That just dumb. Those 3 first round picks could get you three impact starters. Bird in the hand…

moonnumack and Red.Glare like this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Williams > Young by a mile. Everyone else in the discussion between the classes are negligible. Filling out the DL/OL and making sure the defense can make critical stops is a more sound build than hoping the top ranked QB this season becomes a historic outlier due to his Jr High build and can withstand the dusting this OL is going to provide him.

Trading up worked for Buffalo, Baltimore, KC and this very team before the guy turned into a criminal.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure what your point is. I never said they had better numbers, you’re arguing with yourself on that.
    Gabbert and Bortles had/have better physical attributes than either of Young or Stroud. This isn’t debatable

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Maye is better production wise

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Trading up to #1 overall is different. It cost you alot more. U say Williams is better than Young. Only in people’s eyes because of size. Stats for both are similar.
    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/caleb-williams-3.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/bryce-young-1.html

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thing is I can see a path without Young or Williams as a QB. Its not just a "trade up to #1" situation. Are you willing to trade up with CHI for Young? If the defense and run game is strong you can win with other guys besides those two and it could even be a veteran type QB not coming out of the draft.

My bias between Williams/Young is similarly strong as yours. When I watch Williams play he does things that Young cant do and that has nothing to do with size. He's just a better overall QB under pressure and with arm talent.

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Our future DLine coach!

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yes, his arm talent is like Mahomes. Arm talent doesn't make you a great QB. What's between the ears does. If Young is Drew Brees, I would take that everyday and on Sunday. Williams has maturity issues. Something I would watch. I would also take Stroud, too. Some compare Stroud to Herbert and others compare him to Burrow and Goff. Stroud doesn't run, however, that Georgia game shows he can move decently. The right system can enhance those abilities.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Stroud is no where near the caliber athlete that Herbert is. That’s just a stupid statement from whoever said that. The arm, the mobility, the size. Nothing is similar

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No...he is not. He has not produced stats as good as Young or Stroud in their best seasons. I have REPEATEDLY posted the numbers, you choose to ignore them.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Since you like to do it, I will trust the "scouts" over your opinion. LOL.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You better have some arm talent in the NFL if you are going to be anything of substance. Wont mean much if you can see the intermediate soft spot in the zone if you cant get it into the window. Not to say Young cant do that because he can, but when all hell is breaking loose the modern QB better be able to break contain and improvise on the run and have the arm talent to make throws from various different angles. Drew Brees had a cannon for an arm - way more impactful than what I've seen from Young thats for sure. What maturity issues are you talking about with Williams? His petty jabs at other QBs in the Heisman race via twitter? His "fck Utah" finger paint? Some people are just too sensitive.

I was big on Stroud last year - I've cooled on him a bit, but he should be a fine NFL pro with the right system and peripheral team around him. Im out on him just the same as any QB outside of the 1st round because there are too many holes on this roster that need to be plugged before you make that kind of gamble with a top 5ish type QB pick. Bust rates are THAT high at the position and you could help this team without taking that kind of gamble.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is a flat out lie. You can see the damn numbers. He beat Young this season, and comparable to Stroud when you factor in rushing yards and TDs. That’s first year starting. Your bias is ridiculous

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The scouts literally said Maye would go number one in this draft.
    Stop being so obvious

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I don't see those scouts.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I don't care about running numbers. NFL QBs do not rush (except Lamar) more than a couple of times per game. Show me these Passing Stats that are better than Young and Stroud. You can't...cause they don't exist.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

God you’re an idiot.

Maye had 4300 yds on 66.2% with 38 TDs and 7 picks with 700 yds rushing and 7 TDs

Stroud had 3700 yds on 66.4% with 41 TDs and 6 picks with 110 yds rushing and 0 TDs

Young had 3330 yds on 64.5% with 32 TDs and 5 picks with 185 yds rushing and 4 TDs

Maye had a better year, this year than either of them. And you can’t sit there and say rushing doesn’t matter in the pros when it fits your argument. Maye is physically better than either of them and put up equal or better numbers.

In fact, Maye performed better against common opponent than Stroud.