1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 8, 2023.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s fair. I don’t think he’s disingenuous or fake about it, but he certainly isn’t turning any publicity away

macho GRANDE likes this.
  2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The 2010-2012 Texans were loaded offensively. Arian Foster was a significant part of that - but he wasn't around in 2008-9 when Schaub averaged 290/game & Andre Johnson had 200+ catches and more than 3,000 yards.

(whispering....) Yeah, I'm not really sure Dre belongs up there, either....

I think you're conflating the Denver teams at the end of Elway's career, and the Denver teams at the end of Manning's career. The '97/'98 Bronco defenses were good (neither were as good as the '11 Texans, btw). But the absolute driving force of those teams was Terrell Davis. There's a reason he's in the PFHoF - his four-year stretch was dominant, and he was, far and away, the best player on B2B championships. In those two postseasons, he ran for 184/2; 101/2; 139/1 and, in SB1, 157/3. The next year: 199/2; 167/2; 102/0 (they blew out the Falcons).

The guy put up 1,049 yards (5.5 YPC) and scored 11 TDs in *seven* postseason games. An incredible run.

And, btw - speaking of hypothetical results: the 2011 Texans season ended prematurely.... why? Anything crucial happen during the course of that season that derailed an absolute charging juggernaut?....

Foster was a one man show because our highly competent QB was hurt.

Remember when I said earlier the 2010-2012 Texans were loaded offensively, and you probably shook your head and said, "Nah..."? You do realize you just included four (& I'm assuming AJ would be five) 2010-2012 teammates of Arian's , right?...

More to the point, that's exactly what the Texans should avoid. Brown is, like AJ, probably in the conversation. But I would be a irked if very nice players like Owen and Schaub were included. I think the standard should be universally high; not, well, we've sucked for a long time so here are the best of a bunch of bad teams (IOW, the Astros' approach).

3. Hey Now!

No slight to Andre Johnson... He may have been the face of the franchise - but that franchise was wholly anonymous, and, frankly, there was almost zero competition. The Texans weren't exactly a murder's row of talent in those early years....

Andre Johnson was great. I'm not arguing otherwise. And he was 1st team All-Pro twice so I'll concede there was a two-year stretch where *maybe* he was the 1-2 best WR in football ('08-'09 - when, frankly, there weren't too many good WR in the league). But for me... I'm not entirely sure he's the best WR in *Texans* history. Consider this...

Hopkins' first two years ('13 & '14), he played opposite Johnson. So if you take his rate stats when he was the top dog between 2015-2019 - when, for three years, he played with Hoyer, Mallett, Osweiler, Savage, Yates - and without Kubiak..... - and gave him AJ's targets (Kubiak *FED* AJ)....

DHop: 995/13,021/91 TD
    AJ: 1,012/13,597/70 TD

And that's always been my issue with AJ: I've never been able to get over the fact Andre Johnson only scored 70 TDs. It's an abysmal total for someone who totaled ~1,750 targets. If you gave Calvin Johnson AJ's career target total (1,739), he would've scored 110 TDs. You can do this with a whole host of AJ's peers.

JJ Watt is one of the.... 50-75 greatest players in NFL history. I would have to think about if Andre Johnson is even a top 50 WR (he *might* be - like I said, I would have to think about it). There's really nothing remotely close about their impacts. Five years from today, JJ Watt will be in Canton.

4. Hey Now!

I should probably add: I *LOVE* debating **** like this. It's my jam. But as much as I'll fight with anyone about historical awesomeness - I have ZERO issue with Andre Johnson being in the Ring of Honor, and, if the Texans retire numbers, I have no issue with #80 being on the list.

I just feel that, the team being so new - and mostly mediocre - that it needs to be highly selective about its RoH choices. And I suspect - if the Texans go on an Astros-like run, that many of their early-years players are going to seem like quaint choices if they aren't more prudent. AJ may avoid that. It's just harder for me to separate just how great he may have been with the fact he was on lousy teams (not his fault) and his greatness could be? may be? inflated because of that.

macho GRANDE and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

AJ’s greatness is absolutely not inflated. He was a top 3 receiver in the league for nearly a decade during an era of great receivers.

6. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Right. Actually it could also be argued that his greatness has been deflated because of the lousy teams he carried early in his career. Also, having Kubes was a blessing and a curse as the offense wasn't as Andre centric as a BOb "throw it to Hop after two failed runs up the gut and hope for the best" offense. Kubiak actually utilized all of his weapons, especially in the red zone. Owen Daniels wouldn't have lasted two years under BOb.

CVcrew likes this.
  7. macho GRANDE

To my earlier point, while Jj is an automatic HOF lock he's also an excellent self promoter. And again, no shame in that. The national media adores him.
    Plus WR in today's game is a much more difficult position to claim all time greatness.

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bizarre. I can't imagine it will make much of a difference, but really odd that he was hired and fired?/quit? all within such a short timeframe. I wonder if he had some inappropriate workplace behavior and they're trying to get him out the door without it coming to light.

clos4life likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Since firing him prevents us from having to see honky "DJ Kray" leading the team out of the tunnel with a boombox (probably wearing a letterman jacket), I'm all for it.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://nypost.com/2023/06/19/inside-j-j-watts-tv-free-agency-networks-role-his-decision/

J.J. Watt has network NFL TV offers on the table, but the question is whether he wants to take them, The Post has learned.

If Watt does take a TV job, CBS is considered the favorite for his services in what is a Super Bowl year for the network.

It would not be a full-time job as Watt does not want the time commitment. He also would not be replacing anyone.

He would be expected to be on the pre-game show for the Super Bowl and make some appearances during the season.

NBC and NFL Network also have shown interest in Watt.

Though neither can be totally ruled out, Watt is more likely to land at CBS, if anywhere.

Because Watt is not replacing anyone, it basically has created an elastic deadline — it will be decided when Watt figures out whether he is ready to go or not.

HeyBudLetsParty likes this.
  12. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Its not going to dilute anything because Arian was a great great RB. Everyone remembers those GOAT seasons he had. There was never a season that Schaub or Owen had, for example, that I'd say were GOAT seasons. Thats why Arian has enough in his resume for a Texans ROH spot. NFL HOF? Perhaps not, but for the Texans in those years of the franchise making the playoffs for the first time (and Arian arguably the best player next to JJ for those games) is enough for me

david_rocket, crose and jch1911 like this.
  13. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Totally agree. Arian should be in the ROH. He for sure was the best player on our team. The only one that performed in the playoffs. If only Jacoby didn't fumble.

red5rocket and macho GRANDE like this.
  14. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

You put Arian on basically any team in the playoffs the years the Texans made it, and instantly he would be the best RB on those teams. Put Schaub or Owen Daniels on some of those teams, and no disrespect, but they probably make those teams worse. Arian was arguably the best RB in the NFL for a good 4 year span while rocking a Texans uni posting up legendary numbers.

clos4life likes this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

To be on any of these NFL shows... I think the only perquisite is you have to have a solid "laugh". Honestly, all I'm hearing right now is laughing thinking about any NFL pre-game show. Its a little more awkward on NBC where there's not 8 panelists... yet even they are still laughing.

How many laughs can any of these guys have in them long-term is the biggest question. Apparently Marino only had so many... thus he's no longer allowed near a TV studio. Full disclosure, I've never heard JJ laugh... so he may be done before he even starts in regards to this position.

crose and macho GRANDE like this.
  16. macho GRANDE

It's intolerable. From Jimmy Johnson to Steve Smith to Bill Cowher, it all looks so forced. It has turned into a FM morning drive radio show. THE MADD HATTA on Fox

Hank McDowell likes this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

If i was in charge of the RoH

Andre Johnson for being the og texans to play for our sorry a$$ franchise. If he played alongside even a mid tier qb his entire career his stats would have been a lot higher instead he had scrubs tossing him the ball. He suffers more than Calvin Johnson bc that man had Stafford. Aj will make hall of fame one day but there's a log jam of wide receivers.

Arian foster the best running back we ever had. Man was dominant and was the engine of our offense, Injuries and an early retirement is what makes it not a hall of fame career.

Jj watt the most dominant defensive player to grace our sorry A$$ franchise. HoF pretty much locked.

I don't think anybody else aside from maybe Duane brown and Owen Daniel's gets any consideration.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  20. conquistador#11