1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 8, 2023.

1. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Yeah that’s fine with me. He’s a top 5 back right now, he’s incredible. Still need two RBs and both would get a lot of carries

2. STR8Thugg

And if he pans out that doesn’t make them “lucky” is my point.

Both these QBs are projected near the top of the draft despite your apprehensions.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Finished first in something. [​IMG]

4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Top 5?

Saquon
    Josh Jacobs
    Nick Chubb
    Derrick Henry
    Christian Mccaffrey
    Jonathan Taylor
    Miles Sanders
    Aaron Jones
    Jamaal Williams

I need to know who’s your top 5 and why you would give a RB, who’s not home grown, that second contract that’ll be huge. What message is that going to send Pierce? I’m ok with a second or even third back but not if they are the lead back. Pierce is our lead back.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Look at the Jags. Add a quality coach and they go from being a bad team to the playoffs.

If the Texans make a quality HC hire, draft the BPA (and not a FRP QB), and could ride with Davis Mills to the playoffs. Next year's draft would be middle to late FRPs (their and Cleveland's pick). If the HC and FO decide then that Mills can not take a team deep into the playoffs, they would get second pickings in the mid first round.

The 1.2 may be the highest pick the new HC ever gets with the Texans.

1.2 may be the best opportunity to draft a franchise QB that the new HC will ever get.

7. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Yup…Both Pollard and Pierce should get 15 touches a game.

STR8Thugg likes this.
  8. STR8Thugg

In no particular order:

Chubb
    Henry
    Pollard
    Cook
    Ekeler

I wouldn’t normally pay a RB but this is a unique situation.

A lot of the others you mentioned are really good too, but Pollard is unbelievably good. He’s a backup bc of contracts, but he’s way better than Elliot. If you just watch him play it’s obvious he’s the best player on the field like 95% of the time. Idk if he could really be a workhorse, but I don’t think Cook really is either. That’s fine if bc we have Pierce.

raining threes likes this.
  9. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn’t put him in the top 5. Just going off your list, I’m not putting him over McCaffrey, Saquon, Taylor or Jacobs.

You want him, you’re going to have to pay him like he’s the workhouse…but you don’t know if he can be one? I can’t agree with you but I respect it.

houstonstime and raining threes like this.
  10. STR8Thugg

Sure it depends on the contract, but he isn’t getting Derrick Henry/McCaffrey money.

Saquon is really good but you can’t depend on him.

Jacobs had a great year, but he’s not on the same level of most of the guys you mentioned

Taylor has a lot of promise, but failed to deliver this year after a great year last year

McCaffrey is a perfect fit for Shanahan, but he was on the decline before being resurrected.

Pollard is more explosive than all of those guys, yes, all of them. He’s on of my favorite backs to watch. Just look up his numbers when he’s been a starter, he’s a complete game changer and hopefully people continue to underrate him like you, so we can sign him to a decent deal haha

eta, all that being said, I’m fine with drafting a RB in the top 3 rounds too. Just saying pollard should be a high priority option

One more thing, Pollard hasn’t had a ton of touches in his career so it’s not like he’s been burnt out in Dallas. I’m pretty confident you can get at least three more really good years out of him which is perfectly fine. Nobody’s giving him more than a four or five year contract if that in the last couple years, you can get rid of pretty easily just something to consider.

raining threes and red5rocket like this.
  11. raining threes

Not if they traded down in this yr for a 3rd 1st rd draft pick.

What this really comes down to is risk, do you take a risk with Young/Stroud or Levis, or do you take a risk that you can use three 1st rd picks to trade up and get a better QB prospect (IMHO) in the 2024 draft? Y'all know where I stand in this risk taking adventure. Settling leads to mediocrity.

12. raining threes

Just draft Achane in the late 2nd/early 3rd and save he FA money to find a vet center and add a couple of pieces to the defense.

Qan likes this.
  13. raining threes

If there was a QB in this draft that I thought stood a chance to ever become a top 5 QB I would agree with you. Based on tools I would say Levis has the best chance to be the guy I'm describing but I certainly wouldn't bet 1-2 on it happening.

If I had to pick a QB in this draft I would pick Young, but I would be grinding my teeth when I made the pick. No way I ever even consider Stroud as you know from my previous posts.

14. raining threes

My apprehensions are well founded. IMHO

BTW, I love Pollard, he's about the same skilset wise as McCaffery who I think is the best RB in the league.

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Cowboy fan here. Pollard has never gotten the usage to truly show out. He really has an elite burst and is a great receiving RB. We don’t necessarily use him right but the Dallas coaching staff has seem to learn their lesson over the course of this year.

I imagine they are going to pull out the salary, cap gymnastics and just try to franchise him and ride him for another season and then replace him.

Elliot is really only good for goal line, short yardage and pass blocking at this point.

raining threes, whag00 and red5rocket like this.
  16. STR8Thugg

Ugh, this goes back to the original point.

So, in your opinion, your opinions are well founded, bc they’re, just like your opinion, man. Right?

17. STR8Thugg

Yeah that’s fine too. There might be other positions we want to attack in the draft, even if we sign pollard we should still draft a rb as a flyer later on. The Rex burkhead **** needs to be a thing of the past since 2 years ago.

Pollard is just on another level. One of the most efficient and explosive backs you will find anywhere.

18. raining threes

Their well founded because of the history of drafting short small framed QB's and OSU QB's.

19. raining threes

I'm thinking draft a difference maker like Achane early and a guy like Kentre Miller or R. Johnson in the early 5th.

World class speed to this offense and a vet center in FA would make this offense look so much better, regardless of the QB.

20. raining threes