1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 7, 2019.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

The Mercilus contract extension has "good teammate" written all over it.

We wanted to sign that player but the "contract guy" signed Mercilus to a dumb deal. He's a good teammate though.

javal_lon and Gray_Jay like this.
  2. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Who da hell signed off on this Mercilus deal?... I hate our FO..

arkoe likes this.
  3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

WTF is your dumbass talking about? You are a worthless piece of ****.

No one said "overruling", he negotiates the contracts under the guidelines given to him...I'm sure.

4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um...that deal is fine. Nothing outrageous.

raining threes likes this.
  5. CometsWin

Maybe you should take a breath and reconsider your relentlessly ignorant O'Brien homerism because your daily meltdowns can't be good for your health.

javal_lon, whag00 and Ottomaton like this.
  6. CometsWin

It was the "contract guy". Damn that nameless evil purveyor of bad contracts. Poor BOB always gets stuck with the dummies he hires.

javal_lon likes this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

FWIW... the Texans do not have a cap issue. Plenty of bad teams do.

awc713, Rudyc281 and Gray_Jay like this.
  8. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Most cap room in the league. Both this year and next. They'll need it. Giving average players large contracts is a great way to lose that cap space, however.

That said, I don't hate this deal. It's a mild overpay on a 30 year old, but he's having his best year this year, perhaps it's indicative of a good short-term trend? Let's see how he does next year without Reader.

Far from the worst contract or transaction that William O'Brien has engineered.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Not as much as the Nick Martin deal, which I absolutely hated. You're probably right though in that Mercilus's 'coachability' probably went a long way to helping this deal go through at that number. Conversely, I think a lack of that---as evidenced by Reader blowing off, on camera, one of BoB's cliche-ridden press conference statements---is why I think the Texans won't elect to match whatever offer Reader gets this offseason. I'd be happy to be wrong.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

That deal is for a dude that ain't done **** since wk 5!.. Plus he's past his prime... In 2 years, he'll be a wedgebuster on special teams..

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um....that contract is structured to where they can cut him after 2 years. Mercilus has done things since week 5. Like you Clowney supporters like to point out, not everything shows up on the stat sheet. o_O

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

It's interesting to me that so many Texans comments are basically bill only fans and bill only haters and as such the comments are extreme on either side. Most things he does are neither really good or really bad but some people seem set to convince of otherwise

Two Sandwiches, Rudyc281 and awc713 like this.
  13. awc713

awc713 Member

I don't understand why people are so opposed to the Mercilus extension. If there's any real negative to him, it's just that he's had a few unfortunate injuries. But he's a good player and is a solid foundational piece. We have some money to go around and 24m guaranteed isn't going to kill us. He's consistent and we know what we'll get from him. Hell, he's only 29 years old. He's still has a good, long career ahead of him. People are acting like he's 35.

Whitney has also been a tremendous professional while in Houston. He's a great person to have associated with the organization. As a player, he's been asked to do a LOT this year (and has). His traditional numbers (e.g., sacks) have taken a bit of a hit, but PatDStat and Rivers McCown, IIRC, have been pretty high on him based on his game film.

I've been pretty harsh on BOB and the entire organization, but I actually think they got this one right. Time will tell, but I don't think it's a bad deal by any means. This team has several dire areas of need (secondary), but Mercy/Cunningham/McKinney is a pretty sweet starting point for the LB corps for the next half decade to come (hopefully).

As a side note...as much flak as this organization rightfully deserves, they actually set up a pretty good roster moving forward. The core players have a lot of good football left. This is not an old roster by any means. It's just a matter of keeping them and, perhaps most importantly, growing/good coaching.

- Hopkins (27), Fuller (25), Stills (27)
    - Duke (26)
    - Tunsil (25), Martin (26), Howard (23)
    - Reader (25)
    - Mercy (29), McKinney (27), Cunningham (25)
    - Ried (22), Roby (27), Conley (24)

#3533 awc713, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    King1 likes this.
  14. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I'm cool with the Mercilus deal too. Even if it's a tad of an overpay I like keeping him here. We can't exactly afford to lose anymore players on defense

awc713 likes this.
  15. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Including hits on the QB, QB pressures, hurries, impact... None of which describes your 30 million dollar man of late...

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Better than 100+ million man who is missing games...and has THREE sacks on the season.

javal_lon likes this.
  17. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Nice comeback.... But I'd still take a chance on Clowney at 100 million than Mercilus at 30 million.... You can't deny though that Clowney would've a better impact on this team than Mercilus ..

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Mericlus is 28 million, not 30.

19. CometsWin

Or just really mediocre, Marvin Lewis style.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Texans have a true franchise QB. Much bigger difference.

eliefor3 likes this.