1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official?]Texans Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by leroy, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

what does andre johnson have to be sick of? multiple pro bowl appearences? leading the league in receptions?

let me ask you, msn: do we, as obviously passionate fans, hold any responsibility? should we just turn our back the next time someone labels drayton mcclane a racist? "hey, it's just a hunch..." i mean, who are we? chronicle sportswriters?

as i've stated numerous times, there's enough to work with if you want to run carr out of town without having to resort to made-up bull****. hell, i probably agree with a large majority of it. but i think dumping what player MIGHT be thinking, and what they MIGHT do in the future on him is taking it too far. if he's gone, and players come out and dance on his grave, THEN we can discuss how fortunate we were to jettison before losing certain players. until then.... it's irresponsible.

2. updawg

updawg Member

I'll agree to disagree then. I think it's irresponsible to not factor that in to his evaluation. He is the golden boy QB face of the franchise. If he's becoming a negative for recruiting or retention purposes, thats a big problem.

3. Buck Turgidson

Obviously it would be a problem, and no one is disputing that.

What Ric is saying, rightly, is that at this time you & I have no way of knowing whether or not that's the case.

4. updawg

updawg Member

True, but its not a flip of the switch. Just like Bush's slide in the poll numbers wasn't a flip of the switch either.

Personally, I've seen enough in comments to think it will be a factor
    (My opinion, I'm not going to research quotes I've heard months ago)

5. Major

Major Member

If we only discussed things we knew as fact, there'd be nothing to talk about. The whole point of a message board is to discuss opinions and thoughts and projections.

6. Buck Turgidson

But what's the point of positing something ("the players hate Carr & he'll drive them away so he has to go") that, if true, is so obvious that nobody will argue with it?

7. Major

Major Member

Huh? That's like saying I shouldn't post that I think we shouldn't sign Player X because I think he sucks. Certainly, if its true that he sucks, then no one would argue that. But people might argue whether he sucks or not.

In this case, if it's true that the players hate Carr & he'd drive them away, then its not something to argue. But we don't know that its true, which is why people posted things like "I suspect" or "I think". That's the part people can argue with. But taking it off the table as an inappropriate (or irresponsible??) line of discussion makes no sense.

8. Buck Turgidson

In the case of Player X sucking or not, I'm assuming you have some sort of statistical & observational evidence to make your case. In this instance, outside of guesswork, what is there?

9. updawg

updawg Member

Carr's statistics of sucking

10. Buck Turgidson

But that's not the basis of the arguement yall are having.

11. Major

Major Member

The following:

1. Two offensive free agents in this group (WR & TE) joined the team and had the worst stats of their careers.

2. The logical inference that they didn't sign to have sucky stats and thus are likely disappointed.

3. The knowledge that players like good stats, both for personal satisfaction and because they affect their future earnings potential.

4. The knowledge that the coach of the team basically took the ball out of the QB's hands, preventing the players from accumulating their stats, because the coach determined the QB was hurting the team more than helping it.

Given all of this, I would speculate that the players that catch footballs, if given an opportunity, might prefer going to a team where the coach is not scared to allow the quarterback to throw a football. Is this that unreasonable?

12. msn

msn Member

And I didn't present it as fact. If I'm a journalist, I agree with Ric that would be irresponsible. But we're talking at the water cooler about sports. Geez.

It's a reasonable possibility. I'm sorry I brought the board down into the wallows of excrement.

13. updawg

updawg Member

It is for my argument, I'm saying Carr has become such an ineffective QB that soon this will be an impact.

Never once did I say it was personal. I'm sure everyone thinks he's a great, nice, upstanding guy. But if he sucks at playing, that impacts your career, and you will factor that in.

14. msn

msn Member

Evidently so. Moreover, it's also "bat****" and "irresponsible".

15. jojobabbu

jojobabbu Member

Please draft Alan Branch or some defensive lineman. If Chicago can win and go to the Superbowl with a crap QB so can we. Please use the rest of the picks to secure the OL to.

16. Buck Turgidson

Not sure I'd lump Putz & Moulds together, though. Putz got beat out for PT by a 4th round rookie who spent about as much time in college playing QB as he did playing TE. And that rookie had a good year, so I'm not sure what he can blame on Carr. And the other main pass catcher is attending his 2nd Pro Bowl with Carr as his QB, so he may be just pleased as can be with him (see I can play this game too ;)).

Sorry I just don't see the purpose arguing over this particular point. Carr will either be gone this offseason or if he's here next year he'll either play better, or he'll stay the same for a bit & get benched & then he'll be gone in the offseason. All of these outcomes pretty much pre-empt the problem you're forecasting.

And thus concludes my longest foray into Carrland. I think yall can carry on just fine without me. :)

17. updawg

updawg Member

Its like itching an ant bite, but for some reason I just keep coming back

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

FWIW, a customer of mine who happens to be a huge Bears fan said he would trade Grossman for Carr in a heartbeat.

I asked him if he took his medication this morning.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Which helps your argument (and I'm still not sure who you're arguing with about whether or not Carr should be a Texan next year) much more than saying "I heard quotes, but I'm too damn lazy to actually find them". Which was Ric's point all along.

I'm not sure I'd even come back if I were you Ric...jeez.

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

last year, andre johnson had his worst year as a pro and this year, he's going to hawaii. hmmm.....

with that in mind, i'm going to assume eric moulds and jeb putzier both recognize this, believe they're headed for similar turnarounds next year and are champing at the bit to sign long-term extensions. and thus, they better keep carr based on this logical conclusion i've drawn, or they run the risk of not only driving those players away, but others throughout the NFL who want the same opportunity as AJ.

btw, msn, you never answered my question: why should you, i or anyone else come to drayton's defense the next time he's labeled a racist? or if someone sticks the tag of steroid user on clemens (or bagwell or biggio)? because we're not journalists? so there's no obligation among those who really care to raise the level of discussion above the trappings of the LCD; you'd rather we cater to it?

as i've stated repeatedly, there's more than enough information to draw from for those who want carr jettisoned w/o having to resort to made-up bull****.