1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official?]Texans Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by leroy, Jan 20, 2007.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

ESPN (either Clayton or someone else..) said today that Samuel is likely to be franchised by NE since their 2 figures are so far off.. they think he wants/deserves Champ money--7 yrs/65 mil

2. msn

msn Member

Agreed. I think we risk pissing off our receivers corp and losing them to free agency. I know receivers aren't too hard to find, but I'd like to see us keep Johnson/Moulds around another two years. The OL got better last year, we had *great* receivers, and the passing game still sucked. The coaching got better, the offensive scheme got better, the passing game still sucked. Almost *everything*, as Major pointed out, has changed but David Carr.

Cut him.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

The kid is pretty damn good. He just makes plays. I'm not sure if he's Champ Bailey, yet, but he isn't far. I wouldn't be suprised to see the Pat's franchise him. They'd be stupid to just let him go. When it's a receiver or another player past his prime, that's one thing. When it's a 25 year old shut-down corner, you've got to do something to keep him around.

If Samuel and Clements are off the board, go for Michael Lewis and draft a CB. Things can and will change once teams start unloading players to get under the cap. There is just no telling right now who will be available come March 1.

4. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

Frank Bush Added today.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/4497412.html

Texans add ex-Oiler Bush to defensive staff
    Kubiak worked with former Cards assistant in Denver

By MEGAN MANFULL
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

The Texans came to an agreement with Frank Bush and named him their senior defensive assistant Wednesday.

Bush, the former assistant head coach/linebackers with the Arizona Cardinals, will help in various areas on defense. Like the other defensive coaches, he will report to defensive coordinator Richard Smith and fill in wherever Smith wants help.

"Frank's a terrific coach," Texans coach Gary Kubiak said. "He's a great motivator. He has a passion for Houston. He's very energetic. He relates well with players."

Bush was a fifth-round draft pick of the Oilers out of North Carolina State. He was named to the all-rookie team as an outside linebacker in 1985.

In 1986, Bush suffered a cervical sprain in a game and learned he had a narrowing of the spinal cord. One more hit could have paralyzed him so Bush was forced to retire. The Oilers immediately moved him into scouting.

He worked with Kubiak when Bush joined the Denver Broncos as an assistant in 1995. He remained there until he joined the Cardinals in 2004.

The Texans tried to get Bush as their defensive coordinator last season, but the Cardinals denied them permission to speak with him at the time.

"This is a heck of a deal for us," Kubiak said. "I'm so excited to get Frank."

megan.manfull@chron.com

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i'm sorry, but this is such utter bull****. first and foremost, andre johnson is a pro bowler with david carr as his QB. twice. and eric moulds turned down an offer from the freaking philadelphia eagles to come here. kevin walter chose to come here, too, as did jeb putzier. i mean, if david carr was such a pariah...

as i've previously stated, there's a mound of information available to build a case against keeping carr; no need to resort to ridiculous speculation like this.

6. msn

msn Member

OK. I see where you're coming from.

Every NFL mind in the game that you and I read thought David Carr would be a good or great QB. It's completely reasonable to think AJ and Moulds thought the same. My, how a year changes things. Does *anyone* believe in DC any more?

BS or not, I think we risk losing those guys if we hold on to a guy who's proven he can't cut it.

7. binhie

binhie Member

I think walter was a restricted FA with Cinci

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So, he didn't choose to come here? :confused:

9. Hey Now!

*anyone* being fans, i assume, since we have no idea what the organization, management and/or players actually think of him, right?

and no, i'm sorry; david carr has sucked for five years - ask anyone. meaning moulds, walter, putzier, hell, even kubiak, calhoun and sherman were all apprently stuck on the same desolate island the past five years, likely fighting off polar bears or talking to volleyballs - that's the only rational explanation for them all coming to houston last year even though carr drives people away from this organization in droves....... or will, i guess.

again, let's try and stick close to the facts, not wallow in bull****.

10. Major

Major Member

Here are some facts. Eric Moulds closed the season with 8 catches for 47 yards in his last 5 games combined. That's right - 9.5 yards per game. For the season as a whole, he had easily his worst season since his 2nd year in the league, with his fewest yards, fewest catches, and fewest yards per catch over those 9 years. Do you really think that is what he expected when he signed with the Texans? You don't think he might be disappointed and might, at least partly, fault the QB, given that even the coach tried to take the ball out of the QB's hands where possible late in the season in order to prevent him from screwing up?

Putzier, after catching more than 35 passes each of the past two years for at least 480 yards, caught a grand total of 13 this year, for 125 yards. Like Moulds, his catches, yards, and yards per catch all dropped. Do you think he expected that signing here?

You don't think it's at all possible to think that both of these guys might have done things differently if they knew what their season here would be like?

11. Hey Now!

why am i even indulging this nonsense? is it possible? yes, it is. you got me.

also possible: moulds loves david carr, has him over for dinner four nights a week and sleeps with a poster of him over his bed. until you can produce a quote confirming what he actually is thinking, how is this the least bit useful, besides providing an out from answering the real question: why did they sign here in the first place if david carr is a pariah?

12. Major

Major Member

So basically, you're saying we shouldn't speculate about anything. Is that correct? Or are we only allowed to speculate on positive things? I mean, you seemed to be thrilled with Kubiak as a head coach at the beginning of the season. Why? He had a 0-0 record. You had never seen him as a head coach. You had nothing to go by, yet you speculated that things would be better under him. That seems unacceptable by your standard. After all, you had no physical evidence of it whatsoever. Same with Carr. You speculated (wrongly) that he would improve with better coaching. Why did you do that? You had absolutely zero evidence that showed him improving under better coaching.

Probably the same reason you believed David Carr was a better QB than he is.

13. updawg

updawg Member

"I knew Andre Johnson and always wanted to play with him," Moulds said Tuesday. "He's an up and coming receiver, and I felt like the team is on a rise. This is a chance to start new, and an opportunity to play close to home where I grew up."

(I had some free time so I did some googling for you ;) )

I believe Jeb's main reason was to come play for Kubiak

Ric, no one is saying he is a pariah, but he very well could be a negative reason in these decisions in the near future.

14. Hey Now!

do you really want/need me to detail the difference between speculating about outcomes and spectulating on what someone's thinking internally? [seth myers] really, major? REALLY? [/seth myers]

(you're better than that.)

yeah, weird how many people seemed to share that opinion, huh? me, kubiak, dan reeves, six other coaching candidates, moulds, walter, putzier... morons, all of us!

15. Hey Now!

well, yeah, they are. and he may very well be. but of the many, Many, MANY things you can dump in david carr's lap, supposing how players feel about him and will react to him is not among them. it's bat**** stupid. sorry. throw W/L record at me; his lack of poket presence; his indecision; the derth of TD passes - i mean, we could fill its own forum.

but trying to saddle him with what players MAY BE thinking and what the MAY do 1, 2, 5 years down the road is misguided and useless.

16. msn

msn Member

Where'd you get this **** from? You and I read the same quotes from NFL execs and coaches praising Carr. Are you dismissing that now? Because you were citing them the same as I was months ago. Those quotes are "facts".

I have a hunch that the receivers are sick of it. You can call it "wallowing in bull****" if you like. I didn't present my take as fact, I didn't ask anyone to agree, so get off your high horse with this "Let's stick close to the facts and not wallow in bull****" business. This is a place for discussion, not pristine journalism.

17. Major

Major Member

I never said you're a moron. You asked why Moulds would have signed here in the first place if Carr was so bad. I suggested that perhaps they didn't think he was bad - as you and others thought. You and others have changed your mind, so why would it be surprising that the receivers might have changed their mind too?

18. msn

msn Member

Me, too. I was wrong, but I wasn't a moron. Neither was anyone else.

OK. Your opinion is duly noted and respected. Now, who pissed in your wheaties this morning? Seriously, you seem awfully worked up about it.

19. msn

msn Member

Nah, that's "bat****". We need stick close to the numbers and not wallow in bull****. If you can't show me on my slide rule, it's horse****.

We need to involve as many different species of excrement here as we can.

20. Major

Major Member

How about some Carr****?