1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official?]Texans Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by leroy, Jan 20, 2007.

1. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

personally i would trade down in the draft (maybe both new england picks for number 8?)

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yes, but so do other teams. The Texans have not been able to pay fair market value for talent. This could be due to an inept GM overpaying players, but it is more likely that the Texans need to pay a little extra for players to come to an expansion team. The GMs ineptness was probably just a contributing factor.

I would like to see the Texans get a FS and a CB in FA. The draft is not a good place to fill holes since usually it involves reaching for players at need positions instead of letting the draft come to a team.

3. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

clements won't be franchise b/c there's a clause in the contract stating that he can't be franchised by the bills this offseason. The Bills can only re-sign him only and not franchise him.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

New England has not been one to try and move up. It's their "do more with less" philosophy that seems to work fairly well for them. It's not a terrible idea to trade down, especially if what you're looking for isn't going to be there.

Ric...IF they manage to trade Carr, what does that do for the cap? Does it at least open up enough cash to make a serious run at Samuel or Freeney?

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't necessarily believe this is true. When in the last few years have they been bad enough to be very high in the draft or have they had two first round picks that they could use to move up? I don't think there's some front office philosophy in New England that makes them opposed to high draft picks.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Damn, you practically have to have an accounting degree to be a football fan these days. :(

8. msn

msn Member

Yeah, what ever happened to, "tackle the guy with the ball?" :D

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

What is the draft pick situation? Do the Texans have all their picks? Extras anywhere?

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i'm not really a cap guy; it bores me as well as, frankly, scares me a little, so i try to stay clear of it. but trading a player doesn't ordinarily clear space; it accelerates prorated dollars, etc. plus the cost of having to find a replacement. their ability to sign FAs is not a component of carr's contract. they're hampered more by some lingering dead money.

i'd be shocked if they were able to make a big FA splash.

they had two a few years ago - 04? maybe 03. i don't see them as sellers, either.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't think there is anything on paper. However, if they aren't willing to re-sign some of their free agents to high dollar deals, do you think they're going to give a rookie a ton of money? They're looking for value...which you can get with 2 later 1st round picks rather than 1 top 10 pick.

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I don't think they're opposed to high draft picks, but in this draft specifically (where this isn't a player that great to trade up for), getting 2 players later is more valuable than getting 1 one earlier IMO.

13. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I don't think they want Carr.

;)

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

so you see that there's a slight...very slight...outside chance that Garcia stays in Philly to start and McNabb gets moved?

It's really just said that MAYBE SOME people prefer Garcia after his performance. And that McNabb wasn't happy w/the way the Eagles treated him recently. Probably nothing.

But...a chance for us to get a real QB? It'd be like when we got TMac..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2739967

15. dream34shake

dream34shake Rookie

I wish man....That would be my dream come true if the Texans got McNabb...Imagine McNabb to AJ on a regular basis, but I don't want to get my hopes up.
    I just saw Inside the Huddle on SportsCenter and they said that we are going to probably target Joe Thomas and Adrian Peterson in the first round... And it also mentioned that we will try to get Jake Plummer which isn't any new news.
    But I also found out that the Texans are among the five teams that are interested in Drew Stanton at the Senior Bowl. They say him and Troy Smith are doing the best among the QBs at the Senior Bowl practices. I wouldn't mind picking up Drew Stanton in the second round if available. He is a good athlete and pretty mobile and has a very accurate arm.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

it's not happening; his salary is trade-prohibitive, and even if it wasn't, they wouldn't deal him anyway; not so they could hand the team over to a 38-year old.

17. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I believe our off season priorities should be in this order-

1. Improve the QB play
    2. Improve the pass rush
    3. Improve the RB position
    4. Improve the secondary
    5. Improve the OL
    6. Improve the LB position

As far as the pass rush we could use a big tackle that can get push up the middle and be a run stopper.

We could use a cover corner badly.

We need a RB that can break off some runs off that zone blocking and get 2 yds when you need 2 yds.

18. msn

msn Member

My opinion:

1. Improve the OL
    2. Improve the QB play
    3. Improve the pass rush
    4. Improve the secondary
    5. Improve the RB position
    6. Improve the LB position

19. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Yeah, I've heard Spencer may not play, that would move OL up on the list for me.

If Spencer comes back and is as good as he started off then I feel the fact that we can't pressure a QB is really putting too much pressure on a pretty average secondary.

Also I wouldn't make QB a top priority if the Carr issue wasn't so critical. I think if Carr comes back and stinks early it will really set the team back another year.

20. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

I think we can get Asante Samuel, if we put out big money. Going after Turner would be nice too.

Other than that, I don't see anyone else who could make to much of a difference in free agency.