1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official?]Texans Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by leroy, Jan 20, 2007.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Thought it was about time this was created. We can consolidate draft & free agency talk here.

Free Agents I'd love to see in steel blue...

Asante Samuel DB...just getting better by the day and only 25

Ken Hamlin SS...hard hitting safety who can do it all

Dwight Freeney DE...dreaming, but I don't think MW would get double teamed any more.

Michael Turner RB...LT's backup does nothing but produce everytime he gets the ball. He's restricted, but could probably be gotten for the right price and a starting opportunity. He's quick and hits the hole well...perfect for the zone blocking scheme.

Draft...

The #8 pick needs to be need based. OT, DT, Safety have to be considered more pressing needs than just making people happy by taking AP. If Joe Thomas or Alan Branch happen to be available, you have to draft them. In the later rounds d-line and o-line depth are necessary. Maybe another diamond in the rough is found for running back. I just don't see them going with one in the first round.

All in all, I think they are close. They still need to shake off the aura of losing. I think that is what necessitates getting rid of Carr...one way or another. I still think he can be a good NFL qb, just not in Houston. Get what you can for him and move on. I don't think Sage is the answer. See who's available in FA or in rounds 2-4. I think, in the long term, Kolb can be the man. FA-wise, Damon Huard might be the only decent option. I will not be suprised to see Jake Plummer as a Texan next season because of his success under Kubiak (same with Ahman Green and Mike Sherman). I don't think that's the best idea unless it's a 1 year deal. Pleasing Andre Johnson will be a priority. They need to do anything to keep him from exercising his opt-out clause.

2. updawg

updawg Member

Carr sucks, should have drafted VY

(Sorry, had to get that in :D )

3. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Vince should be a Texan

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

why? it's not funny anymore

On our FA targets...man, if we could somehow pluck any one of those guys you mentioned, it'd be an amazing day..

#4 kaleidosky, Jan 20, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

6. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Damn Reggie cant get any love?? :D

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It stopped being funny around mid-October.

8. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Ok, I thought I overheard Ted Deluca on 790 the other day saying that the Texans were already putting feelers out for David Carr's trade value. Did anyone else hear this?

9. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

20 bucks and a case of beer

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

How bout they trade all their draft picks for Vince Young

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Last I read, word is signing him and keeping him means giving up your #1 pick THIS YEAR. Turner looks like he could be good, but is he worth #8 in this year's draft? Honestly, I don't really know, but that's what we'd have to part with.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Umm....**** that.

Considering it'll never happen and you are a broken record......

Not sure what I hope for this year in drafts. I'm just hoping for an even better season next year. this year was a step in the right direction.

13. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Leonard Davis, the left tackle from the Arizona Cardinals, is a free agent. He is from Texas...

[​IMG]

Max Starks from the Steelers is also a free agent.

[​IMG]

Both would be tough to get.

Quarterbacks...maybe Jeff Garcia or Damon Huard. Where is Elvis Grbac when you need him?

14. kaleidosky

I think many have said Davis isn't mobile enough to fit in Kubiak's system. Not sure about Starks in that regard.

Damon Huard is a thought...but I dunno if I'm comfortable with him being THE guy for the season, without competition or anything. Unless we draft someone that's gonna be groomed or something.. Garcia has improved his stock too much in the playoffs. He'll cost more than he's worth I think--and I don't think he's all that great. (I think Plummer is a cheaper version of Garcia if Kubiak can keep his mistakes down like he did 2 years ago)

Could try again to pry Matt Schaub out of Atlanta, though I don't see it happening..

It'd be hilarious if we could sign Simms if Tampa isn't willing to pay him what he wants ;) That'd REALLy piss the VY people off.

15. kaleidosky

If we can get some feelers out there and find out whether the Browns are taking Peterson or not.. basically whether AP will be there at 8.. then I think we should sign Turner at that cost if AP is gonna be gone. He really looks good..

16. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

I guess if they want someone mobile they should look at Ryan Harris from Notre Dame. He will have to put on about 25 pounds, however.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I believe the Falcons put a 1st Round trade qualifier for Schaub so he is out IMO.

18. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4486096.html

Jan. 21, 2007, 3:24AM
    Texans expected to make job offer to Bush

By MEGAN MANFULL
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Texans head coach Gary Kubiak on Monday finally will have an opportunity to interview Frank Bush, the former assistant head coach/linebackers of the Arizona Cardinals, who worked with Kubiak in Den- ver.

The Texans are expected to make a job offer to Bush. Kubiak wanted to hire Bush as his defensive coordinator last year, but Arizona denied the Texans a chance to talk with him and nixed a second request last week. That changed this weekend when Bush, a former player, scout and coach with the Oilers, was released by the Cardinals.

Bush could be named Texans assistant head coach/defense.

The Texans also are expected to hire Jethro Franklin as a defensive line coach to work with Bob Karmelowicz. Franklin formerly was defensive line coach at Tampa Bay.

Kubiak also plans to interview Larry Kirksey, the assistant head coach/running backs at Middle Tennessee, on Monday. Kirksey is a possible replacement for Kyle Shanahan, who moved from coaching the wide receivers to the quarterbacks.

Kirksey was a wide receivers coach in the NFL for nine seasons at San Francisco (1994-99), Detroit (2000-01) and Jacksonville (2004). He spent the 2004 season with Denver as a volunteer assistant.

19. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

I think what you give SD depends on the level they tender him. If they tender him at the first round level then you'd have to give up a 1st round pick, but if they sign him at this level then they have to pay him quite a bit of money if no one signs him. I just moved to the SD area several months ago, I have seen him play quite a bit - he's good - real good. However, I don't know if SD wants to pay a ton of money to 2 RBs, especially when one is the reigning MVP of the league. How many touches would MT get for the amount of $$$ they would be paying him. Plus, they could tender him at the third round level which is probably fair value - remember cleveland only had to give Den a third round pick for Ruben D., and he was coming off a 1300+ yd season. If you could get him for a 3rd then I would say hell yeah - then draft best available player on either line with the first and second round pick.

As far as the QB - gotta love Garcia in the playoffs. Philly beats NO if their receivers catch the freakin ball and their back up RG doesn't jump on 4th and 10.

20. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

Leonard is to big for the zone scheme. In a zone blocking scheme you want smaller quicker lineman not guys who weigh 370