1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 4, 2021.

1. raining threes

I get wanting to draft Ossai, I wanted Caserio to draft him too. But I understand the Mills pick. Drafting Ossai wasn't going to be a difference maker next yr. So you might as well take a chance on a physically gifted guy like Mills. Worst case scenario is Mills sucks and you're drafting a QB in 2022. The cost of missing on Mills is only a 3rd rd pick. Worth the risk. IMHO

No Worries and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

3. SuraGotMadHops

Where is the Ryan Finley Appreciation Thread?

STR8Thugg and raining threes like this.
  4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Honestly, it’s stunning how bad this team is on paper. That it’s come to this almost feels criminal.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Lol he’s got the giants ahead of the cowboys coming in his rankings. Come on

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I think we have to look at this year like we did with the Rockets--what young guys can we develop and which vets can be part of a rebuild. I'm not as down on the Oline as the pundits, I actually think it should be better than last year's. The good news is we have our top picks next year so the losses will have a positive result in the end. We'll also hopefully get something good from Deshaun "Slick WIllie" Watson carcass as he departs our city.

cmoak1982 and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

This and #BDN knows what he’s doing

9. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Serious question: Is there anyone else who thinks this team may actually exceed expectations enough that it is a problem? I could see a scenario where Tyrod Taylor is solid and doesn't turn the football over, the offensive line plays well, there is some talent at RB, and the defense is kinda shitty-average. That would probably put them around 7 or 8 wins and destroy the chances for the first overall pick.

I'm not saying start Mills week one, but since Caserio had the audacity to take him we need to get him out there pretty quickly. We spent a 3rd round pick on him, so we need to know wtf he looks like, and if he sucks and we lose a ton of games then I'll take the first pick.

10. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

I’ll put it like this.... if they win 3 games my expectations will be exceeded. Brand new coaching staff, philosophy, majority of the roster is on 1-2 year deals. This is a tank job. Caserio knows what he has to do to build a roster.

he inherited a joke. A literal joke. A stand up comedian could present what has happened to this team and roster over the past few years and get some pretty good laughs out of it.

I will be rooting for us to lose every game so that we can accumulate some quality picks. This ish is dead son

couple of d's and STR8Thugg like this.
  11. STR8Thugg

If that's the case then mission accomplished. I just don't see the point of Tyrod Taylor.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I thought Taylor was a great signing personally, great back up if Watson issues were resolved and he stayed. And good stop gap for a tank season or mentor to young QB.

No Worries likes this.
  13. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Don’t worry man. He’s only started 4 games since 2018. This is a passing league and if you have Tyrod drop back more than 20-25 times a game we’re dead. Ingram and David Johnson are corpses as far as NFL running backs go. Lindsay may be decent. We got Brandin Cooks surrounded by a bunch of young guys and Randall Cobb. I don’t see how this offense will be able to keep up with majority of teams in the league with Tyrod Taylor at the helm.

To truly accomplish the mission, Davis Mills needs to start more than half of the games- at least. He has to be evaluated extensively. There are some who think he could open the season as the starter. Best case scenario is he shows that he is a competent NFL quarterback with high upside and a trajectory that shows he can be a Tannehill type- IMO.

Worst(maybe best in a way) case scenario is that he sucks and we end up with the number one pick with a clear need for a franchise QB.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I couldn’t agree more with this.
    I will say if Mills turns into Tannehill with the Titans, that’s a huge win.
    But would need more around him to win.

15. STR8Thugg

Best case scenario is he's Justin Herbert and we still get the number 1 pick?

ROFL

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Team won 4 games with Watson, would probably say there’s less talent this year. Even if Mills is Herbert, I could see first overall pick. I could see first overall with Watson.
    If Mills turns into Herbert, who just had best rookie season of all time. That would be bad ass.

17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I mean, I don't think there is ANY chance at all that they exceed the already low expectations placed upon them. This team is straight hot garbage. The odds of them winning 7 or 8 games are about as good as the chances of me exploding and a new universe being created from my particles.

18. STR8Thugg

I mean, yeah. That would be awesome. That's not happening though.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Probably not, odds are against it happening that quick.
    But the physical tools are there and Pep is a hell of a coach.

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The other problem is the QBs next year in Howell and Rattler have strengths but don’t have the same physical makeup that Mills has