1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How is that not productive? He hand picked garbage QB's to run his offense and the result of his choices led to the offense getting worse every single year. I know it's trendy to blame the GM for listening to him and getting him the guys he wanted, but I blame BOB for wanting garbage players and then doing nothing with them.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't trade him. I'd make an example out of him and force him show up and play out the contract or retire so that the next person who is thinking about pulling similar BS will reconsider. I mean, he's got 2 years left on his deal, it's not the time for this type of BS.

Uprising likes this.
  3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Just want to say F*CK Tony Romo one more time.

4. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

All I read was blah blah blah Braxton Miller is back

Rockets34Legend and J.R. like this.
  5. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

He and his wife handed out donations. I think that's good enough. Doesn't matter if he did it with his team or not in this situation.

CallMeTheDream likes this.
  6. solid

solid Contributing Member

Actually, a good point. He is setting a very bad example for other players.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

And what choices did he have at the time?

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He could have drafted a QB, he could have picked other QB's in FA, he could have done any number of things. His decision was to go with guys like Fitz, Hoyer, and Mallett so he has to own it. He made the offense worse every season he's been here, he has to own it.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Bobby need not defend his point, when the deterioration of this offense is well documented,

Brown and Hopkins are their best players and were here to begin with.

They've released decent offensive lineman and let unathletic, fat schlubs take over.

They've barely produced a TE who can get open and exactly zero other receiving threats, including no slot receivers and no backfield receivers, despite hiring a RB who is good in space. They couldn't have used the phrase "matchup offense" any more than they did and yet we don't see them pinpoint, nor attack weaknesses. They praise versatility yet struggle to be good at anything.

They've struggled to produce average offenses every year OBrien has been lead dog.

He scapegoated his buddy a year after it was deserved and still hasn't made a single notable change in the offense.

Oh, and the debacle at QB.

tierre_brown and CallMeTheDream like this.
  10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Because teams honor their side of the contracts all the time.

From what we have heard, he is not even asking for more money. He is just asking the Texans to guarantee the contract they signed him to. It's not like he's asking for a raise. He doesn't want to become TJ Ward next season. The Texans would have gotten more if they traded him during training camp. I think we all thought he was not willing to miss game checks; it is looking like he is. Both parties are now playing a game of chicken and daring the other party.

red5rocket likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They do actually. 100% of the time teams live up to their obligations. Cutting a player that has no guaranteed money left is just going by the terms of the contract, since the contract allows for it, teams can do it. That's nowhere near the same as just not showing up for work because you want the contract you signed to say something other than what it says and has said for years since you agreed to it.

When teams get stuck with worthless players that still have a ton of guaranteed money, they pay it....you know, because they have to honor their side of the contract. Duane Brown needs to either show up or retire and honestly, I don't care which happens at this point.

12. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Why do they even interview BOB? What a waste of time.

J.R. likes this.
  13. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Brown should be pissed at his agent. He signed the damn deal, and if he holds up, it's not like the Texans won't pay him. You made it through training camp and PS unscathed. Report to work and let's win some games.

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Obriens moves on offense:
    -let go of Andre Johnson
    -let go of Brandon brooks
    -replaced brooks with jeff Allen
    -picked XSF
    -picked Fitzpatrick as a placeholder
    -picked mallet as an upside project
    -CHOSE to downgrade from Fitz to hoyer
    -chose Brock over hoyer
    -let go of hoyer instead of keeping him as backup
    -picked tom savage in the draft
    -signed Lamar miller a zone back
    -stopped running zone
    -kept with Brock despite him playing piss poorly
    -drafted cjf, fuller and Braxton miller

So far I think he has something like a 95% miss rate on "decisions" regarding the offense and it's reflected on the field with the offense getting worse each year. The defense has managed to get better and has dragged them to a 9-7 record to make the playoffs in spite of obrien producing terrible offense teams.

Mr. Clutch and Fullcourt like this.
  15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Fitzy went Ham and got him some records after we let him go, while we 'upgraded' QB's. I have major doubts on BOB's offense. Still, no injuries, and a heathy JJ watt, and we are playoff bound for 4 straight.

18. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

A few things here. 1, TJ still got his money. 2, Duane said yes to his deal, Texans are honoring it. 3, if you underperform, do you think your boss should pay you? If you perform, do you think your boss wants to pay you? Do you think he will advocate a raise for your good performance?

Also, if he gets hurt, he gets paid. He got a gigantic chunk of change early in his contract, he could get cut and he'd get picked up for sure, no sweat for him. He played this wrong.

#3218 Mirri3000, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  19. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

You are 100 percent correct. This is the way contracts in the NFL are allowed to be structured, and teams take full advantage. The players are essentially screwed out of any leverage they have in most cases.

Those who argue that "well they agreed to this in the last CBA" are being blatantly ignorant. Every player didn't have to sign a document saying "I agree." It was negotiated through them by the players association. Not to mention they were more or less blackmailed into agreeing to those terms. Either agree and get paid or hold out for guaranteed contracts and our rich owners will wait and still be rich.

The Brown holdout is annoying as hell and kinda ridiculous, but I understand where he is coming from if he wants the remainder of it guaranteed. Hopefully something gets done, but the Texans are playing the stubborn f you game too.

red5rocket likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree with you here, I don't understand where he's coming from in that at this point he's being stupid. He has no real leverage and the Texans have a long standing tradition of not discussing contracts during the season. By now he's got to realize that the Texans are not going to simply do him a favor and make any more of his contract guaranteed, he's gotta show up and earn it.....to which he's deciding instead to not show up. It's counter productive.

Now if he wants to retire instead of being one of the highest paid offensive linemen in the NFL, then his actions make sense. If he's got any other plans though, his actions are kind of dumb.