1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off Season Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 16, 2017.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Training camp won't make him a better player, but it helps him gel with new players and mentor rookies. He isn't setting much of a mentorship other than teaching them to just work at getting more than they agreed to when they signed their contracts, and to hold out when they have 2 years left on their contracts. He's teaching them not worry about working out with the team, but to just look out for getting all they can get for themselves. With all the money he has made he easily could have set himself and his family up for life already, and be able to live nicely even if he did get injured.

Sooty likes this.
  2. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

What makes you think he is that close to the end. For a tackle he really isn't that old... Do you have valid reasons for believing this or is it another typical bobbythegreat hot take?

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

One bright side of Duane holding out is it keeps Chris Clark away from the RT position.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Of course I have valid reasons for believing this....just like pretty much everything I post which is why I'm usually right.

As to Duane Brown, this will be his 10th season in the NFL as a starter and he'll be 32 years old. He could have a few good seasons left, but the odds are very much against him having 4 more quality seasons and honestly it would be a surprise if he had 3 left, that means he's nearing the end. Also this is assuming he stays healthy for the rest of his career.

Typically season 12 is when you see a big drop off from O linemen.

5. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Nah, he's gonna be fine for at least another 3 years.

And typically you are right, but then again D Brown is no typical lineman. Nice try though. Tip jar bet?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I like your optimism, but I'm just stating the reason it's a risk.

I had someone say a surprisingly similar thing to me about Matt Schaub after the 2012 season when I suggested that the Texans might need to start thinking about his future replacement.

When it comes to NFL players, I start getting concerned when they are on the wrong side of 30 and especially after 32. It just seems like every season after that is a round of Russian roulette and you never know when the "bang" is gonna happen, you just know that it's going to eventually happen.

7. fattz

fattz Member

As a pro athlete he has only a limited amount of time to make as much as he can. When it is over it's over; there is no check in the mail. The team and fans will move on without him. It's the NFL so his contract is not guaranteed. He is an injury away from quickly limiting his family income. He has out played his current contract so pay him because we all know he would be cut if he didn't have value on his current contract. The NFL is a cut throat business. He has nothing to loose and a lot to gain.

It's the coaches job to coach not the other players, IMO. The gelling with other players will come in the season; November and December are far more important than July and August. I care about his health because his fitness will come. Give time; time.

He is not a Texans fan like you or me, because he is a business man and the Texans are his income and how he will take care of himself hopefully for his lifetime. Yes, he cares if the Texans win but his mortgage and bills are a concern, too.

#2727 fattz, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    red5rocket likes this.
  8. smitheygerard

smitheygerard Member

Sure, but I'm obviously going to be much more optimistic about a tackle that has shown no signs of truly slowing down. Is he the same as he was at 27? Of course not, but who cares if we have to eat the last year of his deal.

He's worth it. Not to mention he's a consummate professional and I hope he retires a Rocket.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He'd make for the most powerful power forward in the history of the game.

10. SinceEverSince

Per NFL network, Safety Marcus Gilcrest is meeting with the Texans today...

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

13. SinceEverSince

Devin street claimed by the Texans

14. airflights92

airflights92 Member

DJ Reader doesn't believe in dinosaurs. Well.... that's odd.

15. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Those guys clearly watch very little of this team, and sound like they watch very little of the college game as well... it's an ok listen if you are jones'n for football, but......

16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He could have easily set his family up for life just off the signing bonus he got alone, without the annual salaries. Give me a break, I could have taken half his signing bonus, put it in the bank, and lived well just off the interest alone, with no other income. Worried about his mortgage? Come on, I could have bought a really nice home off the money he lost missing practices already. Sorry, I just don't agree, and certainly no pity party here.

CallMeTheDream and csj like this.
  17. fattz

fattz Member

Do you really think that most NFL players live without a mortgage? No pity party here either; just don't think it is wrong for someone to make as much money as they can.

Most people work till there 60's but he doesn't have that luxury. He may not be able to walk then because of his line of work. His employment is extreme and so is pay. He will not be employed as a player for much longer because of age and ware on his body. If he plays in all the regular season games why would we care about his holding out? He is in the entertainment field; as long as he produces in games that count why do you care? We aren't paying him and his not a role model to our families. Let him make as much as he can while he can. Entertain us with a long playoff push and all is well. It's early the season hasn't even started; it's all okay.

18. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

But this is his base salary we are talking about. As stated before, he already got his rather large signing bonus. Cant give him more money, because he received most of his money already, upfront. However, i do think they should guarantee his salary for this year, as there is no way we replace him now. We probably wont next year either, but, salary cap implications are a real thing, with both Clowney and Ddre coming up soon.

19. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

I'm Jones'n for football

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Why shouldn't he try to make as much money as he can the way you do? Do you risk debilitating injury every time you go to work? Does your work potentially result in dementia or early onset Alzheimer's? Will you have to retire from your profession in your mid 30's? Why do you incessantly b**** about players making business decisions that franchises make every day when they cut players or raise prices on tickets, concessions, parking, merchandise? Why is different when a player does it?

red5rocket and Two Sandwiches like this.