1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off-season 2022

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 11, 2022.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

That's where I was too. That crowd and the atmosphere was beautiful.

Fulgore likes this.
  2. raining threes

Then came out and stunk up the place the next week.

coachbadlee likes this.
  3. Mattician

Mattician Member

Can't stand the Chiefs. Specifically Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill.

Are they just gonna dominate the AFC like the Patriots did?

4. Damion Laverne

Texans need to find a QB. Nothing else matters without one

mario_v, Buck Turgidson and Fulgore like this.
  5. Fantasma Negro

Someone is still a little butt hurt about no longer having sources/snitches in the organization lol

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

And next week both the Bills and the Texans will be watching the games on The TV.

7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I’d argue the opposite… they need a solid roster more than anything, having a great QB won’t matter with how little NFL talent is on this team. We saw that last season when Deshaun led us to 4 wins and the roster is worse now then it was then.

deb4rockets, whag00 and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

https://www.battleredblog.com/2022/...ans-free-agents-unrestricted-free-agent-tiers

2022 Houston Texans Free Agents: Unrestricted Free Agent Tiers

The Houston Texans enter the offseason with 29 unrestricted free agents on their team. That’s tied for second most in the league with the San Francisco 49ers, Kansas City Chiefs, and Indianapolis Colts. It also accounts for just over half of the current roster. The Texans are currently projected to have $23 million cap space heading into the 2022 season, according to Spotrac, though that number will surely change based upon the likely Deshaun Watson trade and other possible moves. Regardless, the Texans are bound to bring in new faces; when half of the roster is free to test the open market, you can expect a significant amount of change heading into next season.

Here are my tiers for each of the unrestricted free agents of the Houston Texans:

Already Coming Back:

Running back Rex Burkhead

Burkhead was a one-hit wonder this past season and earned a contract for 2022. His 149 yard performance against the Chargers helped him ink a one-year contract that’ll keep him in Houston after 2021. Burkhead showed he isn’t an every down back...he’s never been one. However, he’s worked his way through a muddy backfield and will be helpful to whoever we draft.

The Must-Keeps:

Linebacker Christian Kirksey, Linebacker Kamu Grugier-Hill, Cornerback Desmond King, Center Jimmy Morrissey, Defensive Tackle Maliek Collins

This tier is defensive oriented, with multiple hidden gems here. Morrissey was a surprise among surprises on the offensive line; if he continues to develop, he could win over the full-time starting center job. Grugier-Hill’s season was fantastic; he was my personal favorite from the 2021 season. He stepped up when the Texans cut Zach Cunningham, as did Kirksey. Kirksey or King could become the highest-paid player on Houston’s defense if re-signed.

Developmental Depth Pieces Worth A Second Look:

Running back Royce Freeman, Defensive Tackle Vincent Taylor, Tight End Antony Auclair, Safety A.J. Moore, Linebacker Neville Hewitt

Running back will be a primary focus this offseason again. Freeman looked promising at times but lacked distinct skills that would warrant the Texans committing to him long-term. Taylor played well in Houston’s first win over Jacksonville, but was shelved on Injured Reserve afterwards. Moore was a guy everyone likes and a better defensive back than expected. Hewitt made some strong special teams plays and could be a good backup.

Nice To Have, But Replaceable:

Tight End Jordan Akins, Offensive Tackle Geron Christian Jr., Defensive End DeMarcus Walker, EDGE Jacob Martin

Martin has been the only positive from the Jadeveon Clowney trade, which feels like a distant memory at this point. But he was supplanted by second-year defensive end Jonathan Greenard as the premier pass rusher down the stretch. Tight end Akins was also surpassed by rookie Brevin Jordan, whose play-making ability elevated him above the veteran. Walker was a solid rotational defensive end who fit well in Lovie Smith’s system. Christian Jr. was a stand in tackle throughout the season and pushed Tytus Howard inside to guard.

Wildly Replaceable Veterans:

Center Justin Britt, Long Snapper Jon Weeks, Wide Receiver Danny Amendola, Wide Receiver Chris Moore, Defensive Tackle Jaleel Johnson, Safety Terrence Brooks

Britt was one of the more disappointing signings of the past offseason. The Texans were looking to get bang for their buck and received a pawn shop-esque performance from the veteran center. Weeks had another solid season, but the 35-year old and longest active Texan will most likely be done this offseason. The duo of Amendola and Moore never materialized; neither were able to secure a consistent slot role in a very wide open room. Johnson didn’t have the season he did last year with the Vikings, but he put up a good enough performance to warrant being re-signed depending on other players’ availability.

So Long, Farewell:

Safety Justin Reid, Quarterback Tyrod Taylor, Running back David Johnson, Wide Receiver Chris Conley

Reid has been a pleasure to watch grow and develop, but it’s obvious his time in Houston is over. Taylor should have been more consistent and was hampered by an early injury (again). Johnson needs to put this chapter in his book behind him and find another fresh start with another team. Conley’s inability to secure the WR2 position made the entire offense collapse at times.

No-Names With No Worries:

Linebacker Tae Davis, Cornerback Grayland Arnold, Linebacker Eric Wilson, Linebacker Hardy Nickerson Jr.

Several of these players saw playing time near the end of the season, and some may be back on the roster in limited roles next year, but depending on what the new coaching staff is able to cobble together, this may be a list of players who aren’t long for Houston.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Already Coming Back: Running back Rex Burkhead
    The Must-Keeps: None
    Wildly Replaceable: All of ‘em

red5rocket, msn, BossHogg713 and 3 others like this.
  10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Same thing I was thinking. Nobody on the roster is “must keep”

ROXRAN and BossHogg713 like this.
  11. Damion Laverne

And both will take a while. The sooner the Texans find "that guy" at QB, the better. Everything else will fall into place.

Fulgore and mario_v like this.
  12. raining threes

Agreed

They found their QB.

Some fans cant accept this. Why? I think we all know why.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Congrats to the Eagles legend™ on a great career.

Bitter exes!
    If they don’t want to follow the Patriot Way, get these losers out of town!

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2018/5/30/17409922/eagles-brandon-brooks-patriots-bill-o-brien-miserable-retired-nfl-houston-texans-lane-johnson-news
    One Eagles player, Lane Johnson, took Philadelphia’s championship victory as a way to show that the Patriots’ model doesn’t have to be the only way to win big in the NFL. He went as far to call the Patriots a “fear-based organization.”

Speaking after Eagles OTA practice on Tuesday, Pro Bowl guard Brandon Brooks talked about how playing for Belichick protege Bill O’Brien — who was employed by the Patriots from 2007-11 — with the Houston Texans was ... well, not enjoyable.

“It’s crazy that people haven’t known this,” said Brooks. “It’s been this way for like a decade. You’ve seen— Reggie Wayne did it. He retired. He went there [to the Patriots] for a training camp and retired. **** is not fun there. I was under the same regime in Houston [with O’Brien]. I almost retired. **** was miserable, every day. Every day.”

“I came in [as a rookie] under [Gary] Kubiak, who was just an older version of Doug [Pederson], then I went to O’Brien, who was Belichick, and then I came back to Doug, who’s like Kubes, so for me, man, **** was great. Like, I cannot tell you how much better this is than it was down there. Like, it’s just night and day. What does [Eagles offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland] say? Happy workers make more productive workers. When you’re not having fun, man, those grinding, those hard-ass nosed days ...”

Brooks got cut off by fellow Pro Bowler and All-Pro right tackle Lane Johnson.

“All the media wants to talk about is rings,” Johnson started. “Rings. I’m going to get this ring and never wear it one day. I’m going to put it away in a box. The only thing you’re going to remember from your playing days, you’re not going to remember the scores. You’re going to remember the people you played with and how you felt. And that’s the truth.

“All these guys talking about ‘I’ll take the rings.’ OK. You can have your rings. You can also have f***ing 15 miserable years.”

14. raining threes

Give me the rings

This is another example of why the Eagles weren't able to in another SB. How they feel is more important than winning. Does Johnson, Brooks know that the players were miserable in Foxboro? If they were miserable, I'm sure their play would've reflected them being miserable.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

hmmm that’s interesting

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. raining threes

LMAO

If he wanted to stay, I would hope the McNair's wouldn't want a sexual predator as the face of their franchise.

18. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

19. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I’m glad he found God and hopefully he gets his life together but he needs to go ahead and his talent to Carolina or Miami.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member