1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Draft Day

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Apr 22, 2010.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you don't need to spend a first round draft pick on a guy who can power in a 3rd and short....a legit 3rd down back can handle that.

if you THINK spiller is Lightning, you don't pass on him simply because last year we had problems on 3rd and short. you can get 3rd and short a lot cheaper than a first round pick.

now...if you don't think Spiller is real Lightning, that's another story.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Toby Gerheardt.

DD

3. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Personally, I don't have anything against Spiller, but like I said earlier, his interview with John Gruden was eye opening. They showed play after play where Spiller was limping or on the bench hurting. Gruden kept grilling him saying "what happened here" and "Why did you come off". Spiller kept saying well I wasn't hurt, but then they would show him barely walking to the sidelines. He always seemed to have some excuse but in the end Gruden said, but everyone of those times you were off the field for several plays. Spiller just played it off. Then they showed some highlights of what he could do and Gruden was very complimentary. I think he could be a good back in the NFL but I also worry he will not be durable at all. If he was limping from college hits then he will be far worse when he gets hit by NFL players.

Do the Texans need a guy that could be explosive but only out there for a limited number of plays per game? They already passed on Reggie Bush and look how that worked out for them. Can they pass on Reggie Bush 2.0?

4. MadMax

ahhh...i didn't know that. interesting.

5. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

I would but the name that raised an eyebrow was Osi Umenyiora.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I worry that Spiller will hesitate instead of hitting the line hard. If Spiller can add that one dimension, he'll be great. Mathews seems to be be able to read the line while going full tilt.

Spiller versus Thomas and McCourty would be difficult. I don't know if Thomas is interchangeable with Pollard. Kubiak has talked about having interchangeable safeties, so I just don't know if Thomas is what he is looking for from a toughness standpoint.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Earl Thomas may not be Ronnie Lott, but he can hit. Don't mistake his coverage ability for a lack of physicality.

8. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

In a heartbeat.

He would work well in our offense and would be useful coming out of the backfield for passes, of course he'd become our number one back.

If you take McFadden out of a Raiders uni and throw him into Jets jersey he will be a 1,000 yard rusher and some, imo. He's not a bust yet he just needs a better team situation.

9. MadMax

absolutely....i think you're far more likely to "hit" with mcfadden than you are with whoever you take with that 5th round pick.

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Heck yeah. A 5th for McFadden? Do it!

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I love these Gruden interviews, it is SO unlike ESPN to grill these kids and actually not pull-punches.

12. conquistador#11

I'll give the raiders a 4th rounder and next year's 6th rounder for mcfadden.

Slaton, Mcfadden, and foster..it would be a nice trio to have. One of them should be able to punch it in from the one yard line in the three downs. :grin:

And did I see browns Nose tackle shaun rogers in that list? that's who we need to be a top 10 defense. Barwin,Smith(inside), Rogers, and Williams on passing situations would bring fear to every offensive coordinator in the league.

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I'd want Rogers out of that last for sure. Hope the Texans have at least inquired about that deal.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not a spiller fan, at least for this team. Sometimes those speed guys just try to beat everyone to the edge rather than just hit the hole. Plus, he's too much like Slaton.

I would be shocked if the texans didnt take the top CB available.

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

The problem with Mcfadden is his contract is pretty hefty for a guy that is still unproven. I never have liked his running style and fear that he could be useless as soon as he loses a bit of speed. I'd rather see us go after Lynch if we're going to explore a RB through trade.

I really like the idea of taking Gerhart or Dwyer in the 2nd round as opposed to taking Matthews in the first, though.

16. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

While highly unlikely, a Thomas/Gerhart first two rounds would be perfect.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

change out Wilson for Thomas and i'd be very satisfied.

18. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Looks like the Cowgirls are hot and heavy after Thomas, probably will trade up to get him.

Like I said earlier, trading down and getting an extra 2nd, or more realistic a 3rd, would be great but if they stand pat then Wilson/TG or Dwyer would be perfect.

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Watching Spiller highlights is like looking at a clone of Reggie Bush in college. He'll make jaw dropping moves, but it doesn't look like he can run inside. This is part of the reason why I think he's dropping.

I'd bet if both Matthews and Spiller are on the board at #20 the Texans would pick Matthews.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Darren McFadden is not available for a 5th round pick. I don't think thats what the article was insinuating.

Spiller reminds me of Bush and McFadden moreso than Chris Johnson.

Ryan Matthews is the real deal, if he's gone and Kyle Wilson is gone and Mike Iupati is gone... The Texans should take McCourty or Earl Thomas.