1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Draft Day Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, May 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The more we have conversed on the topic the more I think we agree. Sorry I misinterpreted your arguments when I opened the thread this evening!

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Huh? No one said he was crazy. That wasn't even a point of concern. What people said was that he'd suck as a football player and would be a bust. I said otherwise.

Here is the thread:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=6083319

#2642 The Cat, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

They do love Houston dont they?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nf...y-kiper-jr-gruden-mayock-manziel-michael-sam/

4. The Cat

This page is the essence of the Aldon Smith debate:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/printthread.php?t=199764&pp=20&page=16

Show me once where I (or anyone) addressed his character. I didn't. That wasn't an issue whatsoever. The debate was whether he was a good football player, and I'd say it's pretty obvious who was right about that.

Talk about rewriting history... my goodness.

5. The Cat

Where you at, Otto? Still waiting to hear more about this.

I've been wrong plenty of times on this BBS -- after all, I have quite a few opinions. But until tonight, I've never been called out before on a debate that I ended up being 100% right about. This is new ground.

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't care enough to go looking. There's a video in there somewhere that I linked to where he talks about changing his hair every week, including the original style he calls "the gumby". I do remember that some people said he sucked, but I only worried about his weirdness and the fact that he was raw and you were not kind to such suggestions. I can imagine that among everybody, you wouldn't remember specifically any one person's concerns separately from another's concerns.

The point is that Sam is a Mizzou guy and you are a Mizzou guy. It's like arguing with a TAMU fan about Johnny Manziel. It is not really going to go a anywhere

7. The Cat

I'm pretty certain I didn't address his "weirdness", because I heard a couple of off-field stories about him from his time at MU. Now, the fact that he's raw is something I responded to, yes. But obviously that has to do with his performance on the field, which he's been exceptionally good at in the NFL. That's the only point I was trying to argue.

I'm a Mizzou guy, but what I'm saying Sam deserves isn't any more than what many professional scouts are saying. The only point I jumped in this thread was when bobby spouted the inane BS about Sam only being drafted due to his coming out. That's my lone objection.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clearly, I've ruffled your feathers, and that's kind of the point. When talking about one of your Mizzou guys, it's natural to become agitated. You've been emotionally invested in him for several years. It serves nobody if everybody is just punching your buttons.

Clearly I've failed miserably here. I was trying to diffuse the bomb and I've only succeeded in setting it off. I will defer 100% To your recollection, and assume early onset Alzheimers or something.

Also, I can only type so fast when hunting and pecking on my little android phone keyboard in between doing my job.

#2648 Ottomaton, May 11, 2014
    Last edited: May 11, 2014
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, didn't know The Cat was a Mizzou alum, I was wondering what the agenda was because it didn't sound like an unbiased take.

10. The Cat

Pot, meet kettle.

If only I could have the unbiased take of concluding that Michael Sam was a non-entity in the draft process if not for being gay. That's just fair and balanced. :rolleyes:

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Michael Sam and Jason Collins came out as gay (while neither were under contract) to help their careers?

Maybe in an alternate universe.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

The reverse of "if they come out and they don't get selected, it will be a 'bigoted' league that allows prejudice and discrimination"... I think that's what the point of "help their careers" means. If they're good enough, the skills without their sexual preferences should be enough to be selected or in a team (free agents, traded, whatever it would be). :eek:

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I understand the thought process, but just because there is a thought process doesn't mean it isn't incredibly stupid.

14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Can we please get back to our Texans Draft because that cake kiss made me sick.

15. conquistador#11

cat and ottomaton 2 of my favorites posters battlefighting each other, and I thought today was just going to be a lame monday. I need some popcorn now.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Racist.

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

Sugarphobe!

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I dont know...everytime i see this word, i think of this guy:
    [​IMG]

19. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

What do you mean? I feel sorry for that little white man, and congrats to the big black man.

20. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I can see the league calling around at the end of the draft, hoping someone drafts Sam so they don't get bad press. But, I can also see coaches, who could've had him as a 5th or 6th round pick, not willing to take on the media distraction.

I think coming out probably cost him, but not that much.

It was an important moment for the league, country...

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/12/news/companies/michael-sam-uniform/index.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.