1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Texans @ Dolphins

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 20, 2015.

1. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

i agree, just look at how many teams are crap every year. it proves that tanking does not work in the nfl.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Tanking CAN work in the NFL, but it's not a guarantee, especially in a weak QB class like the one coming up. With no top tier prospects worth tanking for, there's really no reason to tank....especially when you still have a chance to win your division and make the playoffs.

3. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

so you would rather have a pick in the 20's, keep rick smith and get bounced in the first round rather than having a possible top 10 pick and fire rick smith?

4. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

You do realize Rick Smith been missing on draft picks after round 1 before O'Brien was head coach right? It's clear he doesnt know what he is doing when it comes to the draft. How many more years will it take before he is gone. O'Brien doesnt have a say in all the draft picks.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If they get the player they want anyway, what difference does it make? Also, while you see Rick Smith as a scapegoat, I'm not sure Bob McNair does so I don't think you'll get him fired unless it's a total fire sale with BOB fired too.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So now we're giving Rick Smith credit/blame for the drafts? We give him credit for JJ Watt, and Nuk Hopkins and all of the good picks too right?

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Does it really?

I can't think of a single reproducible example of it working, other than the isolated/random years where a prospect like Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning is available.

The correct answer is tanking works when there is a can't miss QB that is guaranteed to be available at the #1-1.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, there you have it. It's not something that is reproducible and that was my point too. It CAN work, but usually it doesn't unless there's a top tier QB prospect available or something of that nature.

9. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

Exactly. Is obvious you cant read. I said, aside from round 1 he makes good-great picks. His problem is round 2 and beyond. You cant keep missing on those picks. O'Brien doesnt have that much say in the draft like you guys think. It's Rick Smith who blows them.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, that's in line with you wanting him to be the scapegoat for all of life's problems, it's just that I don't think many would agree with you that he has that much influence over picks.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rick Smith will not be fired, period.

Not as easy/simple as winning season = Rick Smith stays, losing season = Rick Smith fired.

As far as draft selections...

Top 11 picks
    1-1 David Carr, 1-1 Mario Williams, 1-1 Jadeveon Clowney, 1-3 Andre Johnson, 1-10 Dunta Robinson, 1-10 Amobi Okoye, 1-11 J.J. Watt

Non-Top 11 picks
    1-15 Brian Cushing, 1-16 Travis Johnson, 1-16 Kevin Johnson, 1-20 Kareem Jackson, 1-26 Duane Brown, 1-26 Whitney Mercilus, 1-27 DeAndre Hopkins

Rick Smith era picks
    1-10 Amobi Okoye
    1-26 Duane Brown
    1-15 Brian Cushing
    1-20 Kareem Jackson
    1-11 J.J. Watt
    1-26 Whitney Mercilus
    1-27 DeAndre Hopkins
    1-1 Jadeveon Clowney
    1-16 Kevin Johnson

12. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

do i have to post his draft history past round 1?

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You'd be wasting your time if you did because most don't think Rick Smith has that much influence over who is picked, it's not like a Daryl Morey situation. Most believe that the coaches have A LOT more to say over who gets picked than Smith does. Now you can argue that Smith should be sacked in order to bring in a GM that will be more powerful, but it's probably not going to happen any time soon.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

When I grow up I want this job.

The title and the pay indicating I have responsibility for what happens at the top ....while not really being held accountable to anyone for anything.

Fantastic job.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Hell, me too. There's no question that Rick Smith has a sweet gig, he just handles the money side of things and most GM's have a lot more responsibilities than that.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don't think Rick Smith get's paid comparable to what most real GM's get paid.

He does have job security though... but its doubtful he'll ever get another front office position after this one.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

No, no you don't because everyone and their mother knows he sucks.

But you weren't talking about past round one.

You were talking about a pick in the top ten or a pick in the twenties.

18. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Plus, doesn't it seem like he does pretty well with 1st round picks outside of the top 10? I'd be perfectly fine with another pick in the 20's if it netted us another Duane Brown or Hopkins...and going to the playoffs.

19. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I so agree with this. I just simply can't get that excited about goff much less any QB candidate. This is a horrible year to tank for a QB ..it's likely a better prospect can be found in the mid to late first round anyway, let's do our best and see where things go

20. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I didn't read this but exactly my point . Great post