1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Colts

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 15, 2015.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

With Clipboard Jesus or an injured Hasselbeck, Hoyer would have been the better choice to start against Indy.

With Hoyer there is a lower chance that he turns it over. Turnovers would be the only way realistically for the Colts to beat us.

With Yates he might play well but he might play like a true backup QB that was already cut once, his accuracy is inconsistent, which can lead to interceptions.

The Colts are so lackluster w/o Luck and an injured Hasselbeck that we really don't need a good QB to beat them. We just need to take the conservative approach.

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Looks like my friend Mr. Clutch is the tinman of the NBA dish. Keep up the good work, and go Texans!

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a bit disrespectful, he can be annoying sometimes when he's trolling, but even at his worst, he's nowhere near as bad as Tinman.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

I love that people only remember the big wins and not the losses. Or his 0 TD and 2 INT game vs the Rams where he came in and threw a pick 6 in his first series. Or the last time he played at Indy and was unable to find the endzone. And he actually had a higher % back then.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh it's not about ignoring the negative, it's that he actually has some impressive positive things to go with it. Basically it's a "there's a chance" type of situation and we know there really isn't a chance with Hoyer.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

TJ Yates is 3-3 as a starter. Hoyer is 14-11. But I guess whatever brings you hope.

I don't think it is going out on a limb to say that if the Texans win it'll be because of the defense and/or the Colts just having a really bad game.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Quality of win means more than the raw number. You are giving Hoyer as much credit for the team beating the Titans, Jags, and Saints as you are beating the Jets and Bengals.....You do realize that right?

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Yeah, but you're giving no one else on the team credit for winning any of those games?

Every win is different. No matter what. Its hard to credit a quarterback for a win in an extremely low scoring game, for example.

Football is one of the ultimate team games.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, it's not that, I'm not saying "Yates just winz" I'm saying that the team has a better chance of winning the game with Yates as QB because the offense has moved the ball and gotten into the end zone better with him at QB than Hoyer.

No QB "winz", but some QB's give their team a chance and some don't. Hoyer didn't give the Texans a chance to win the Bengals game because the offense couldn't get into the end zone even once to allow the defense to help win that one, Yates got the offense in the end zone to allow the defense to win it.

If the Texans are going to win, it'll be the defense winning it, but the offense has to score or no defensive effort will be enough.

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The offense ONLY moves the ball with Yates b/c Yates would rather give jump ball opportunities for DeAndre Hopkins vs anyone else...While Hoyer is a bit more conservative. Trying to state that Yates gives this team a better shot is just foolish...Look at the stats in the games TJ did win...It does NOT blow me away. Yates competes and will go out swinging, but to say that his talents are superior to Hoyer...is inaccurate.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/Y/YateT.00.htm
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=pfr&url=%2Fplayers%2FY%2FYateT.00.htm&div=div_passing"></script>

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You don't see a flaw in comparing stats in games against the Atlanta Falcon's 3rd string, New Orleans tragic defense, or against what passes as a defense in Tennessee with games against the Bengals and Jets?

How did Hoyer's stats look in the Bengals game if you want a head to head comparison....

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I meant no disrespect! Screw tinman... He can't hold a candle to Mr. clutch.

99er's lol

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">As native son of Indy, Yates comes calling on Colts <a href="https://t.co/txEGgxDhIb">https://t.co/txEGgxDhIb</a> via <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonChron">@HoustonChron</a></p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/677377670129123328">December 17, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

How did I not know that Yates was from Indy?

insert itshappening.gif

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the 99ers rule all of clutchfans, even this thing called the Texans forum

15. rawbrah

rawbrah Member

On point af.

Everyone else really does sound foolish right now.

No way we win against Cinnci this year if ahoyer played the entire game. No way we win against NYJ. Doubt we would win in Indy either with whoever at their QB. We would be a mediocre 8-8 and nost likely 7-9 with the way Bortles and the jags are playing, if Hoyer was healthy.

16. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Did you watch the Bengals game? Hopkins, Lechler and the defense were the reason they won. Neither qb really played well that game. And Yates completed less than 50% against the Jets. Considering the way Hoyer played against the Saints and the Bills I'm pretty sure they could have beaten the Jets with either qb.

17. conquistador#11

yates = 6 miracles, 3 versus the bengals, 1 against the falcons, 1 against the jets. He has one more in him! we take this.

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Just to go along with the pessimism in this thread so far. I say we win in Indy for the first time ever, go nuts, then lose 2 straight to the rest of the division and the colts still go on. I would cry myself to sleep, but I really want this Indy win, I am going to be there.

19. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, pretty much this. Until proven otherwise, Texans gonna Texan, right?

Life of a Houston sports fan, lol. Let's hope for a nice hot streak to close out the regular season. Would love to see the guys get another shot at KC at NRG.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You haven't actually proven that Hoyers wins are less quality. You are just stating it and cherry picking games. He's had quality wins and crappy wins just like every QB

Hoyer has played 42 games for a career 82QBrating. It's a big enough sample.

Mallet is sub 70 and Yates sub 80 and they spend most of the time on their couch or bench because they are below average QBs.

Reminder that you thought Mallet was going to be good and he performed worse than Tebow

#120 Mr. Clutch, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015