1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Colts

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Major

Major Member

Probably because looking at a short snippet of time is a bad way to evaluate anything. Over the long haul, higher picks tend to do better, especially at QB. Looking at last year's playoffs, of 12 teams, you had 8 first round picks, including 5 #1 overall picks (Manning, Palmer, Stafford, Newton, Luck).

Unless you think you can trade for a top-tier player in a unique circumstance (Manning, Palmer), or you want to go with the "hope and pray that you find the next Brady or Romo" strategy, your odds of finding a franchise QB increase dramatically as you get a higher pick.

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Fire up the Houston DST in fantasy!

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Turns out they are going to try a gimped up Hasselbeck until he gets hurt again before going with Whitehurst.

4. thejav

thejav Member

Its the ****ty QB Bowl..winner gets the privilege of being blown out in the first round of the playoffs..

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

He did beat us with the flu and no practice time earlier this year...

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Texans have declared QB Brian Hoyer (concussion) out for Sunday’s game vs. Colts. T.J. Yates to start at QB.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/677195366152974336">December 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Colts coach Chuck Pagano told Indianapolis reporters Andrew Luck won't play Sunday, they expect Matt Hasselbeck to play</p>&mdash; Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/677193957135265792">December 16, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Again....if we win this game, we most likely win the division and HOST either the jets, steelers or chiefs. What makes you automatically think any of these teams blow us out at home?

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah but he's banged up as hell right now and he failed to get through the last 2 games he started due to injury. It's just not the same thing. His body has taken one hell of a beating since early in the season when he stepped in for Andrew Luck and was an upgrade at QB for them.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Pessimism.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

A win in Indy would be sweet no matter who is on the field.

11. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I know its way to early for this kind of stuff but if the Texans win the division we need to root for the Steelers to run the table and get in as the 6th seed. In that scenario we would play the Chiefs in the 1st round at home and then move on to a hurting Bengals team if Steelers were to beat the Broncos the 1st round which is very probable. :)

12. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I picked them up last week in preparation for this but not sure if I want a banged up Hasselbeck or Whitehurst to play. I just want at least 10+ from the Houston DST. Is that too much to ask? Pretty sad we couldn't beat them earlier this year. I still have visions of Hasselbeck rolling to the right throwing 2 yard flat routes for 30 yard gains against us.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, the good news is this game isn't on national TV....so at least it's not an automatic loss.

EDIT: Wait, this game is in Indy, right? So forget what I said about it not being an automatic loss....

#73 ima_drummer2k, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  14. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

TJ handles team "firsts" pretty well. First playoff clinching regular season game. First playoff win.

Dare I say...first win in ____?

Nope, can't say it.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But I see just as many "hope and pray" candidates (Manning, Palmer, Brees, Brady, Romo, Wilson) as there are high round draft success'. There are also a ton of high round draft failures as well... which has to be factored in to the decision making process (I know you've stated you'd pick a QB every year till you find the "right" one... but it doesn't work that way when front offices/coaching staffs are literally tied to the one QB they choose).

I agree they have to make an effort... getting guys like Fitzpatrick/Hoyer/Mallett is not an effort. Schaub was an effort... and put up numbers similar to what the #1 overall picks are doing.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

How did that go in 2011 vs Orlovsky?

17. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

LOL...it can still be the first. I didn't say he had to do it on the first try. :grin:

18. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Unless the Bengals free fall and we get to play them, I would have to agree.

19. Indaface

Indaface Member

Clearly but the difference between 6-10 and the playoffs is 8-10 picks...if we're talking 2-14-, 3-13 vs making the playoffs with a team that doesn't have a shot at winning it all then you can make the argument that you would prefer the earlier pick. Especially this season where there's no consensus QB's that people would be all over why would that be such an advantage over just winning the division and enjoying one (maybe two if we're lucky) playoff games?

At this point in the season anyone not wanting the team to win the division needs to relax and enjoy the season.

Leave the my team sucks let's tank for the Cowboys fans.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I still have the sinking feeling that Yates will get shut down, and the Colts win 12-10 on 4 Adam Vinatieri FGs, including the game winner.