1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Cardinals

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 6, 2009.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There will always be UT fans dude. Always.
    ...poor Aggies

2. conquistador#11

I'm still puzzled. Why would they run a goal line power formation with the o-line we have, that's like rick adelman running an inside/ outside game with chuck hayes. When the texans are facing the same situation, because they will, I hope they try something different even if you have to line up casey under center for a qb sneak. 4th and 1, the longest yard....that should be our new motto. :(

On Schaub, I think he's great. If teams can win with the likes of orton, we can win with schaub. It just requires playing smarter as a team.

3. CrazyJoeDavola

I'm going to go ahead and be the 1st to give Reeves some love. Aside from the PI penalty in the 1st half, he played very well. I counted at least 2 PDs in the 2nd half from him.

He is our best man coverage corner. I like where our D is headed. Take away the 6 bone headed plays we have given up this year, and our D would be close to Top 10 statistically.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

That is what is so baffling. When you line up with Chris Brown in the same formation 3 times in a row, they know you are either running up the gut or play action to the tight end. TRY SOMETHING ELSE. Pitch it to the outside, run out of the shotgun...I don't remember which game it was but we ran a 5 receiver set on 4th and 1, and Schaub easily dumped it into Dreessen for a couple of yards. I think we are unstoppable in short yardage with guys like OD, Dreessen, DA, and Walter doing quick routes over the middle. Hell, last year we ran a QB draw from the shotgun and beat Miami on the last play at the goal line.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

i don't agree, offensively. i know saying that 24 hours after a first half goose egg is silly - but that's going to happen to every team not quarterbacked by peyton manning.

they were obviously beaten to a pulp by the jets in week 1. otherwise, they've scored 34, 24, 29 and 21 points. if you asked me to name one positive thing about this season, it'd be that they're *better* at putting the ball in the end zone - though obviously not *as good* as they could be (given the inabilty to score twice now from the 1 yard line).

if they're not playing meaningful games in december... man, i think you almost have to. getting a team over the hump isn't easy; and it's not entirely kubiak's fault if they never do under him. sometimes, you're just unlucky.

but man i would feel bad for kubiak because he's done far more good than bad here, and any success we have after him would be in large part thanks to his rebuilding efforts. i hope he can get it done.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

even the offense is inconsistent. they were absolutely lost in the first half yesterday. couldn't grab a first down to save their lives. then they come out firing and score 21 points.

on the other hand, the defense looks like swiss cheese in the first half...and then looks like the 85 Bears in the 2nd half.

these sorts of inconsistencies have been with the team all season. except that they were consistently bad from start to finish of the jets game.

almosts and maybes matter less in the NFL than any other sport. there's not enough games for almosts and maybes to matter. not enough margin.

we can almost and maybe them to 4 wins. but the truth of the matter is, our only 2 wins are against teams who've combined to win a whopping 1 whole game. that's just the reality of it. 2-3.

i'll also say that what i thought was an easier schedule is looking more difficult than i imagined it would...particularly the bengals and niners in the next 2 weeks. i marked those as "should win" on my schedule at the beginning of the season....now i highly doubt we win those games.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't think our offense is inconsistent at all.

The running game is consistently bad. As usual, we spent the whole 1st half trying to establish the run (except for that wonderful bomb into double-coverage on 4th and 1....) and as usual it didn't work. We did nothing but pass the 2nd half, hence the 21 points.

Passing game has been consistently good. Running game has been consistently AWFUL.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You're talking about the QB position right?

Just want to make sure. Because if you're talking about the RB position you are completely sane.

9. Mr. Clutch

He used the same small sample size you did, dude.

No one said Schaub is better than Brady, just that your argument is flawed.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Been saying the same thing all thread long.

It's extremely puzzling. You make a good comparison. What we did is like the Rockets being down by 2 points with about 20 seconds left on the clock...only to run a play for Chuck Hayes.

That's exactly what we did...2 times. We asked our weakest area on the team to score.

It's because Kubiak has it in his head that the Run has to be established and if you can't get one yard on the ground you don't deserve to win.

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Im the one that sucks? lol, um, ok.

I never said Schaub is better than Brady. You made a point to say that Schaub is good against bad pass defenses and that he performs poorly against the good teams...correct?

Well, I showed you that someone that is considered one of the best QBs ever (Brady), has the same issues...I used the same strategy you used. It is not uncommon for a QB to play better against a poor defense. You were knocking Matt with your statistics and I showed you that your number crunching can be applied to even the best...Tom Brady's numbers are just as crappy against the good pass defenses.

I dont know where you get the idea that anyone here would rather have Schaub over Brady.

12. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

What? My argument is that Schaub's numbers against crap teams don't prove anything, certainly not that he's one of the best in the league. Now you're telling me that my argument is flawed because five games don't prove anything?

Brilliant....

13. rezdawg

And I showed that the majority of Brady's numbers come from subpar pass defenses as well...thats why your argument is flawed, because most QBs have better numbers against the bad team.

14. Mr. Clutch

Yes, you're argument is completely flawed. Like rezdawg showed, if you use the same argument against Brady, you can argue that he sucks post- injury.

The point is, 5 games don't prove anything either way. But SO FAR Schaub has played like a top level QB.

EVERY QB plays better against bad teams and worse against good teams. That doesn't add any insight, dude.

15. CometsWin

I wasnt the one claiming Schaub was one of the best in the league because he has good stats against bad teams. Talk to them.

16. rezdawg

I dont need to talk to them...I was talking to you because you used a poor strategy to show Matt Schaub's ineffectiveness, since that same rule can be applied to every QB in the league.

Matt Schaub is one of the better QBs in the league...and the good QBs should be beating up on bad teams and that is exactly what Matt has done. Yes, his performance has dipped against the good pass defenses...the same could be said about Tom Brady, Ben R., etc...

17. CometsWin

18. Mr. Clutch

19. CometsWin

Prove it.

20. CometsWin