1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official: Steve Francis traded to New York

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JusBleezy, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

Steve will become a major star in New York and the salvation of the Knicks. His passion for the game and will to win will be reignited, and he will be embraced like John Starks and Sprewell by the fans. A brilliant move by the Knicks.
    Stephan ( I am the greatest, ha ha) will tow the line or be traded. I think a
    reunion in Minnissota with KG would be good.

2. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

What did we get for Glen Rice in trade? Didn't we trade him to Utah who used the expiring 9 mil + contract for cap space? Is that how we ended up with that British 6' 10" stiff?

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Scottie No-Tippin I'm Quittin Pippen weighs in with his two cents via NBA.com

http://www.nba.com/news/movement_2006.html

I am pretty much befuddled with why Scottie Pippen is allowed to weigh in on these matters. Befuddled, pretty much.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

seriously, I never thought he was the most well-spoken guy. they'll make anyone an analyst these days.

5. littlefish_220

I think Tracy for Cat+Steve trade is pretty fair since Orlando can't keep tracy against his will. Orlando's real blunder is to trade cat for nothing, and in the mean time trade away half the heart of steve to Sacramento:)

And I am surprised Steve is becoming a posion in so many fan's posts. Yeah, he is not as good as tracy, but he was considered by many fans here as top 3 pg several years ago. He probably doesn't get it to reach the real greatness, but he is still a damn good pg overall.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What's ironic is Scottie ("I'd rather pout on the bench rather than be in the game if I can't take the last shot" - "trade me out of crappy houston I hate this franchise") Pippen lecturing us on how today's players don't know how to play a team game and how they shouldn't ask to be traded. Really rich.

7. liu1107

liu1107 Contributing Member

Man, NY now got three ballhoggers.. Marbury, Stevie and Crawford they all known for ballhogging, if they get kobe next they'd make a really good group.. know what i mean :D

8. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Okay i just noticed this little part at the end of the article and it honestly made me kind of chuckle.

"Acquiring a player of Steve's level and talent is very exciting for this team," Brown said. "In him, we have added a veteran that could help us in many areas, and assist with our young players' development."

Are they talking about the same Steve? I don't think i would want him teaching or developing young players into his style.

9. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

The Rockets must have decided they needed to clear luxury tax room next year, given Yao's big pay raise taking effect. As such, they need their expiring contracts to expire (or be bought out or waived) instead of taking back salary from other teams in exchange. Les said he would only pay the luxury tax for a "special player"; apparently Steve is not such a "special player."

As it stands now, perhaps we will have room this summer under the luxury tax threshold to sign an MLE player, if we can get out of paying for Anderson's option next year. Per hoopshype, we are looking at $54.4 million in payroll for 10 players next year (not counting DA), with a luxury tax threshold of around $61 million. That gives us maybe $6.5 million to spead between our draft pick, a couple of minimum wage players, and an MLE player ($5 million), which is still not enough room.

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I am from New York. I am in New York. My state is also a proud owner of an NBA team which is an experiment doomed to fail. But atleast we are going to explode in style. This is bold.

Next player Thomas should be targeting is Iverson. A FRONTCOURT of AI, Franchise and Starbury, a BACKCOURT of Crawford and Maurice taylor, with Jalen Rose coming of the bench, will be the biggest mismatch in the history of the NBA. The All-Blackhole team. NBA would have to make new rules wherein any games in which the Knicks play, 2 or more balls can be used simultaneously.

Someone tell Isiah Thomas his salary isnt based on commission on Knicks player's payroll.

#90 Zboy, Feb 22, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

tmac/j-howard/j-berry/alston

for

trevor azaria/penny hardaway/darko milic/carlos arroyo
    :D :D :D

12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

J-Howard and Darko cancel each other out. So atleast Magic got one part of the equation right.

13. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Can we start judging Knick's trades on the basketball side of the deal, and ONLY the basketball side of the deal, because it is obvious that the Knicks do not care about how big their payroll is. In this deal for instance... Marbury and or Crawford better be on their way out, if not this is a bad trade for them, and as for the Magic, they're doing the right thing, this sends a message to Dwight Howard that this is his team.

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Yep - the whole thing was ironic. I definitely noticed that one, that Scottie Pippen (of all people) ripped today's players as "selfish". LOL!

Secondly, even if I agree with what he's saying, that we're supposed to believe that he would give an unbiased opinion about Isiah Thomas. How about an article written by Bill Laimbeer on the career of Charles Barkley?

Last, it was hilarious to hear Scottie wasn't a fan of Steve Francis when he was drafted -- the Rockets acquired Steve while Scottie was still on the team. They were technically "teammates" for a while before Scottie was dumped.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Darko- when he has a good night, or even steps on the floor, you know Detroit won.

Juwan- when he has a huge night, you know Tmac or Yao must have been hurt :p

16. terse

terse Member

Which is why I opposed the Weatherspoon buyout. If we still had Spoon's $6m contract on the books, we might have gotten Artest.

17. terse

terse Member

Heh, I wouldn't be surprised if the "greatest PG on the planet" were on his way out of NY.

18. verse

verse Contributing Member

i've been saying for years now that steve francis is a ballhogging, overdribbling, self-absorbed, petulant punk that will never win anything. check the records.

versetradamus has spoken.....

that said, they should start a reality TV show on the knicks organization. i'd watch that more than i watch "The Flavor of Love." isiah, of course, being the strangely loveable assclown trainwreck that is flavor flav.

19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Look for more takes like this over the next few days...

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It is an incredibly bleak story, but the reason there isn't more talk of the doomed Magic franchise is so long as Dwight Howard still intends to play for the Orlando Magic there is hope. I actually think they made a really good move here. If Dwight Howard explodes in the second half of the season, now that he is clearly 'the Man', I don't imagine they're going to have a whole lot of trouble luring in some free agent talent. Especially if Darko happens to show some flashes along the way aswell.