1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Steve Francis returning to Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gfab-babyboi, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Luther seemed like a potentially clutch player, and I would have said the same exact thing BEFORE the most recent playoff choke. Watching Luther never come out of his Utah series slump was extremely dissappointing. I kept thinking any quarter now he would go off for 20 points, but it never happened.

Anyway, if you can't be productive against the best competition, then the rest of the games don't mean much.

On a strategic note, next year's Rockets won't shoot as many 3's and we won't need spot up shooters as much. Ballhandling, passing, and mid range game will all become more important. For spot up 3's, we have James, Battier, maybe Brooks, and Novak if he plays. McGrady and Francis aren't the best, but they can also sink'em when needed.

2. spysta

spysta Member

ARE YOU PEOPLE CRAZY OR SOMETHING? WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU BE PUTTING FRANCIS AGAINST TMAC

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE?

BE HAPPY ABOUT THE FRANCHISE OR GO HANG YOURSELF, OR BETTER YET GO ROOT FOR THE BORING CHEATING BRUCE BOWEN INFESTED SPURS, OR STILL BETTER YET GO ROOT FOR IRK NOWITSKI BECAUSE HE HAS NO D (stole that line from someone in another forum)

Francis
    T-MAC
    Battier
    Scola
    Yao

Wells
    James
    Hayes
    Head
    Brooks
    Butler
    Novak
    Deke
    Forward accuired from alston, lucas, synder deal (possibly wayne smien from miami)
    Carl Landry

And we have the rockets team that will beat the spurs in six in the second round of the 2007-2008 playoffs

JUST REMEMBER YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!!!

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

See Tony Parker's efficiency during the Spurs 1st and 2nd championship. He was terrible from behind the arc, Rafer-ish inside of it and pitiful from the charity stripe. He improved remarkably in all these areas over the last 2 seasons.

Every championship team throughout NBA history has been unique. By no means has every one of those teams had a complete PG or a capable and efficient scoring PG (see a number of the Bulls lineups during their dynasty). I still see Rafer as a keeper for next season.

4. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

There's so much good mojo around this thing ...

Even I was iffy about the whole deal when talk about Francis started to come up, but once I heard the news this afternoon I just couldn't help it ... I felt so elated. This is the most feel-good thing to happen to the Rockets in a long, long time. There's something so special about this offseason ... Lord help me when November comes around, I'm going to be so hopelessly addicted to Rockets basketball, I wonder how I'm going to keep up with work and school.

Call me the eternal optimist, but man, I feel so good.

5. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

This is an example of a person without any basketball IQ at all. The reason Francis dribbled the ball is that Rudy-T told him to Iso and then score however he could. True Rudy-Ball was Iso for Barkley, Iso for Clyde, Iso for Mobley. How many times you watch Barkley iso on his man and use his big fat butt while he dribbled backwards? By conventional means, a big man like Barkley should not handle the rock so much.

Fast forward. 2007 New day, New system. Francis is going to be required to move without the ball. He's going to be coming off screens and he'll be passing the ball off. Lots of ball movement and lots of player movement. How in the world is Francis going to dribble the cover off the ball in this scheme? Rudy-Ball yes....RA ball no. He'll do whatever it takes to win.

6. Linkin

Linkin Member

Dawson, Rest In Peace.

7. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Cool pic. Thanks to the old jerseys and font, it's like looking at the cover of an old rap album or something.

8. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

wow a runaway train-thread.......

Welcome back SF, I just thought how cool it would be if this happened.........and omg........lets get going......is it oct./nov. yet :confused:

9. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

Wouldn't he be sooo pissed if we traded Francis a day after he signed to Toronto for a forward?

I don't have a forward in mind, but he would be pissssed.

10. blender

blender Member

No I didn't see Francis as a Knick. Good to hear though.

11. fanwq

fanwq Member

Rocket is rock now!
    Best start!
    deepest deep!
    We are top two now!
    Greaaaaaat job, Morey!

12. ColdspringX

ColdspringX Member

Blaming it on Rudy is ridiculous. Did Isiah told him to dribble the ball too?

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

He's not blaming Rudy. He's correct, that was basically our offense. Rudy favored the ISO/freelance style of ball. There were reports that said he was known to "let the prisoners run the asylum". Give the ball to our guard and let him break down the defense. It wasn't just Francis, but Mobley and Moochie also.

14. Coca Cola Scola

Should we pencil in Gay to come back to us in a few years... :D
    traded Stevie Franchise....get him back...
    traded James away....get him back...
    traded Gay away....???????

Stevie was a former 3 time all-star and could cross over his defender like no one else and get to the rim at will. Stevie >>>>>Rafer any day.

15. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I think Brooks is very special, as do many others, after his summer league performance. If the coaching staff was sure that Brooks could replace Alston's strengths from day one (low turnovers and the ability to create for others), or that we dont need a true PG in the Coach A system, then Rafer's value would be greatly diminished and we could look to trade him, immediatley. It is too early to draw these conclusions.

Although Sacramento was succesful with a less-than-phenomenal passing PG in Mike Bibby, there were bonafide passers surrounding him in Divac, Webber and later, Brad Miller. I hear Scola is a good passer and we have seen, at times, over the last few years that Yao is a capable enough passer with pretty good vision for his position. We know that McGrady is a great facilitator but, ideally, we don't actually want him to be that great since he is ultimately a greater scorer and a better asset to us as such. Bibby was a good fit in Sacramento but he was just one of many pieces on a totally different team. The Rockets are not the Kings and, therefore, we can not yet assume that they are best served to rely solely upon a score-first PG. We need evidence of this, in my mind, before we deal Alston.

We need to see more of Brooks and how he develops under real pressure as well as how the current set of players fit within the Adelman system. Maybe we don't need a true PG. On the other hand, maybe we do and since this question won't be answered any time soon, I think it would be wise to keep Rafer as a sure-fire ball-handler/distributor.

If we approach midseason and a couple of the other guys (Brooks/James/Francis) prove to be our best 1st and 2nd options at handling point guard duties, then we could look to trade Alston. Plus, there would be the added advantage that after a few months of playing together, Morey and the coaching staff would have a more clear view of team weaknesses. They could, potentially, use an Alson trade much more effectively to return an asset that will add value to a playoff run.

Morey has acknowledged that his goal, going forward, is to make smaller changes/upgrades that will help us in the postseason. Waiting to trade Alston will serve this purpose moreso down the line than right now. We have already made significant changes to the roster without even having all of these guys together in the same room. We have, obviously, upgraded at PF and at both guard spots on paper but now we need to check out the chemistry. In addition to his ball-handling and play-making abilities, Alston provides us with some real continuity from last season while we see how all these off-season changes come together. Having the most talented set of individuals doesn't always mean you have the best team. You need glue players and lesser egos to complement the bigger-egoed superstars. Alston is one of those types and we have plenty of the others now.

So, I still say Alston is a keeper, for now, unless we are able to trade him for another true, veteran PG. This is becoming increasingly unlikely to happen since guys like Fisher and Atkins have already signed elsewhere leaving the remaining pool of veteran PGs pretty dry.

16. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Thank you Rafer, Head, Snyder, Deke, and Chuck. We've enjoyed your contributions and appreciated your hard work. Feel free to keep a home in Houston.

17. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Mike James is imploding as I write. He was looking to get minutes at the 2 guard behind Tmac. That's gone now.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

BrooksBall good points again. i think that's a fair assessment of rafer and what the rockets may do. i'm not anti-rafer but i'm not anti-trading him either. i'm just not familiar enough with adelman to determine if he's expendable, when rafer has shown at least the ability to run an offense and take care of the ball. if we do trade him in the next couple months i think that would be a clear statement about brooks role on this team.

19. tmac&Yao

tmac&Yao Member

oh,my god!
    i just cannt believe this!
    welcome steve be back home!
    wish we can win a title!

20. IndonesiaFans

IndonesiaFans Member

Look at our roster, all of our players are likely to win the game rather than their personal stats. They all hunger for rings..
    Do hope the efficientcy of shooting is increasing so the personal poins will not drop drastically.
    There is only good thing will happen with stevie coming home..

Our bench even already a contender to the easter conference