1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Steve Francis returning to Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gfab-babyboi, Jul 19, 2007.

1. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

how much?

2. thedopefiend

thedopefiend Member

Brought tears to my eyes

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

cause David Lee Roth > Sammy Haggar

that's why.

4. anon3803

anon3803 Member

There REALLY needs to be Morey chants at the first game. :p

5. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Always wondered how you would react if this happened. That's about how I pictured it. :D

Where the hell are all the guys gonna play?

6. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

Anyone know where I can get a SF jersey for cheap? The only I have still has that flying dildo on it. :mad:

7. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

You are probably right in that he won't be moved but there is NO WAY Morey would give out a no-trade clause to any player.

This move is a GREAT-AWESOME move IF Morey is plannning on moving say Alston + Head + Battier or Hayes for Camby or another top player.

8. BEXCELANT

BEXCELANT Member

LOL Don't worry about it. Think Phoenix Suns and their roster. Or San Antonio Spurs and their roster. Now we can go right at them.

9. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

We could only pay him what was left of the MLE and I believe that was 2.3 mil. Now if they made it a longer term contract that will be something else.

10. Mehdi

Mehdi Rookie

Welcome back franchise!!...so whats the pending trade all about?

11. Yaominator

Yaominator Member

Damn it! UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

JVG must be why Adelman is so lucky.

Not that he likes Francis, but the pieces added and subtracted this offseason are way better than previous year's. Adelman has more talents to work with.

We are one scary azz team on paper

Yao
    Scola
    Battier
    Tmac
    Francis
    James
    Bonzi

:eek:

Bye bye Alston.

This offseason has the tone old Rockets reunited.

13. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

The fact that when either T-Mac or Yao, or even both are out of the game we have someone that we know can score and create instead of having 5 players that can't create a shot.

Since we never had a spark off the bench that could create we were forced to play t-mac more than we needed to. Now we don't have to rely on our starters for some much needed points...anyone in the top 8 of our team can at least bring some scoring to the table at anytime.

It's all about Depth at this point...something we haven't had in a few years now. Solid offensive Depth.

14. BenignDMD

BenignDMD Contributing Member

Three seasons and three teams removed from the Rockets, Steve Francis will return to the team for which three times he was an All-Star.

Once known as "Franchise" as the cornerstone of the Rockets' planned post Hakeem Olajuwon rebuilding, Francis chose to return the Rockets on Thursday, passing on more lucrative offers from the Heat, Mavericks and Clippers.

"I think he sees this as a rebirth, as a restart of his career," Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said.

"Steve has a sense we're real close. We think he can be a big part of getting us there. I always thought it was a long shot. Credit to Steve, he chose what he thought was the best chance to win over options that were better financially.

"There was always a chance that Steve would choose Houston, until Steve told me today himself he was coming it felt like a long shot. Jeff Fried was doing a great job as an agent creating options. It came down to Steve focusing on what was the most important to him and that was winning."

The Rockets were limited to the portion of the mid-level exception remaining after acquiring forward Luis Scola last weeks, worth $2.4 million the first year. He will sign a two-year contract with the option to opt out after one season.

Francis played five seasons for the Rockets, averaging 19.3 points, 6.4 assists and 6.1 rebounds. He was traded in June, 2004 to the Orlando Magic along with Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato in the deal to acquire Tracy McGrady. After one strong season with the Magic, he was dealt to the Knicks the next season and generally struggled to regain the form of his first years in the league, usually coming off the bench in the Knicks' crowded backcourt and battling knee troubles last season.

Francis is scheduled for a physical this afternoon, but has reported no problems with the knee since last season.

"It's a combination of a variety of factors including the fit with the team, a comfortableness with the organization and a familiarity with the surroundings," Fried said. "He has a home in Houston. In so many ways, it has remained his home, despite some interim stops, Orlando and New York.

"For Steve, it's coming home."

Dealt the Portland Trail Blazers after the season, he accepted a buyout of the last two seasons of his contract, worth roughly $30 million.

He had considered offers to reunite with Mobley, a friend and former teammate, and Sam Cassell, a friend and business partner, with the Clippers, and to play with each of the 2006 NBA Finals teams, the Mavericks and Heat.

"It's a chance to win," Morey said. "Both Yao (Ming) and Tracy really helped with the recruiting process and are excited about our chance to win with the additions in the off-season," Morey said. "We're feeling good we've addressed a lot of our goals."

The addition of Francis will likely trigger more changes. He would give the Rockets five point guards. Morey has said he is seeking to move John Lucas III. Several teams, the New Orleans Hornets in particular, have indicated interest, but Morey said nothing is imminent. With Francis on the roster, he could also seek to deal last season's starter, Rafer Alston.

"When you have a chance to add a talent like Steve who really fits what coach (Rick Adelman) is trying to do, you do it," Morey said. "Now we have a lot of talent on the roster. Coach and I have to figure out the best way to make it work. What our plans are is still to be determined. Because this was a bit of a long shot, we haven't spent a lot of time on what was the right next step in the coming weeks."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4982185.html

15. spysta

spysta Member

ONCE AGAIN

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

AND IN THE WORDS OF MARV ALBERT

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

WELCOME BACK

UNBELIEVABLE

16. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

i can buy you a Ny Knicks Franchise jersey :D

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm gonna be a little more objective this go round, this team can win a ring, we need him to play under control, that's all I ask.

18. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

OMGLKUEOYSDLKUFLKDJS:LKDFJLKJSLKFDJFLKDJSF:KDJS:LKFJLK D:SFJDKSFJD:KSFJD:LKSFFJLKDFJSLKFSDFJD:LKSFJD:LKSFJDLKSFJDLKSFJ

YEAH!!SDFSDFSDFDSFDSAFSDHKDSHASDLKSADFJ;LKSAFDJSAFLKDJ;LKDSJD;LKSFJDLKSFJDLKSFJDLKSFDS

19. sun12

sun12 Member

True. Still the piece is mostly complete, now T-mac needs to develop the mentality to be the GO-TO player in the last 5 minutes of the game. and He has to be good at it.

20. Junetastic

Junetastic Member

I wouldn't be surprised if Steve somehow makes the all-star team this season.