1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 19, 2023.

1. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

I don't know, man. Chas is likely gonna give you a .330 OBP in the 7 hole. Not sure how many teams can claim that

cbass likes this.
  2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I mean, yeah. It was a joke. I'm the captain (and maybe only remaining member) of the Forest Whitley bandwaggon but even I don't think that the duo of Brown and Whitley are going to be better than Cole and JV.

raining threes and Madmanmetz like this.
  3. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

They will be much better, but not till next season.

4. CinematicFusion

Maybe 3 years from now

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Yep this is why I wanted another FA OF like Benintendi or Conforto with Chas on the bench if everyone was healthy. Injuries are inevitable and this is a WS contending team you need to stack the team with depth.

6. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I had a chance to re-watch the World Series during Spring Break. I couldn't agree more. I don't know if we will ever see a bullpen dominate like they did. I also strongly believe Pressly should have won MVP. He came up huge in so many ways.

7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I would expect that to be the case. JV would be almost 45 and coke
    Would be what- 38? While Brown and Whitley will both be in their prime.

CinematicFusion likes this.
  8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I would expect that to be the case. JV would be almost 45 and coke
    Would be what- 38? While Brown and Whitley will both be in their prime.
    The easy way to do it would have been Contreras. And he costs the same as Brantley and Maldy. And he would move the needle more than those two.

raining threes likes this.
  9. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

It's crazy to think that as we all wake up tomorrow, opening day will be upon us. It's seems like only yesterday Tucker was catching that foul ball to seal the WS.

I'm a high school math teacher (I know...gross lol). These last few years haven't been great in the classroom, but this place has been a great escape. So, I wish you all a great rest tonight, and that you all have a great day tomorrow in anticipation of going 1-0!! Let's go!!

cbass, SWTsig, H-Town Info and 7 others like this.
  10. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

According to the NY Post, Verlander was sitting at 92.3 on his fastball in his last start. Just sayin.

tmacfor35 and everyday eddie like this.
  11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Vet that doesn’t care. I bet he’s still really really good next year. I was in favor of letting him go bc I don’t trust him as the game 1 hammer that we need, as it’s a given we make the playoffs, but I absolutely would expect him to be himself in the regular season for the most part.

raining threes likes this.
  12. Screaming Fist

They definitely could have done more in the off-season at OF and C than they did. Hopefully it doesn’t come back to bite them in the ass this season. Hensley and at least one of Diaz/Lee need to play well this year.

13. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Its no weaker than the same two guys (Chas, Maldy) and Yuli. And there was no upgrade from those three possible. This year you can mix in some Yanier and Hensley at C and 2B, and there is at least a chance Chas and Meyers progress. Especially once Brantley comes back, this lineup will be very good, and will be great once Altuve returns.

It’s a lower hitting era. We panicked all last year while watching less offense than we’d like, while barely noticing the whole league has regressed.

14. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Yeah too many worriers and complainers here.

Astrofan59, cbass and cmlmel77 like this.
  15. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Please forgive me if I can't foresee Cole and JV pitching 30 games each this season. But I don't think Whitley breaks into the rotation soon enough for 30 either.

#1395 Marshall Bryant, Mar 30, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I resemble that remark.

But seriously, we rarely had a regular line-up last season before October. Maybe Dubon becomes the player Dusty sees.

17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Spring Training is OVER!

Start the Gameday Threads! And leave out that play by play part of the script that everyone ignores. And try to start them before the line-ups are announced so we don't get extra threads.

OK. Vent complete. Now gratitude for the tradition of OFFICIAL game day threads.

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Expect much the same this year - and I'm fine with it. It worked last year and every reason to think it will work this year.

162 games and most players won't eclipse 150.

There will be rotating off days all season long and the "starting 9" will probably only be in the lineup a couple dozen times until the playoffs.

And the Astros will win the World Series again BECAUSE of it.

But people will b**** anyway.

J_Hunter_1977 and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  19. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member