1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 19, 2023.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

That's probably the opening day lineup, maybe Yordan and Diaz swap positions.

Can't say I love Pena leading off but whatever. I don't mind Dubon playing on Framber day, but Hensley needs to start 70% of the time. We can't just give away offense at 2 positions.

crose and Screaming Fist like this.
  2. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Diaz in LF??? Que ?

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't think they want to waste some of Yordan's knee miles in a meaningless game.

Framber day would be a good day to hide Diaz in LF in the regular season.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  4. Screaming Fist

With Framber on the mound LF is like a glorified DH. This shows they want his bat in the lineup.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Poor Whitley.

6. Screaming Fist

Whitley is going to come out breathing fire tonight running it up to 100 and Astros fans won't know what to do...or he'll walk three guys in the first inning and fans will know exactly what to do.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Late change to the lineup, Diaz out, Meyers. This offense looks even worse, god tier defense though.

Seems like excessive outfield defense for a Framber start, so I still think the orginal lineup is what we'll see opening day.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Yep. Framber was giving up less than 3 fly balls a game last year.

9. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Yeah, I like the possibility. LF in Houston doesn't require much speed and he's logged a little bit of time there in the minors. Let Dusty get creative with how he uses Diaz to squeeze his bat in the lineup. DH, C, 1B, some LF in the right situations... you can get him semi-regular ABs if you are willing to move him around.

10. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I didn't realize Diaz could play LF. I thought he was a C/1B only. Not sure we want him in LF regardless

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There has been a trend lately of guys that can't play defense having positional versatilty because they are bad at playing numerous positions, but can hit. Diaz has potential to have this type of positional flexibility.

Old people will complain, though.

#1291 Joe Joe, Mar 28, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
  12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

A new market inefficiency to exploit?

Have a got a deal for the Astros! Not only am I am bad at all positions … I am historically bad.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not sure if it is still new enough to exploit. The Phillies rolled to a pennant last year and actually won a couple of postseason games against the Astros with their 4 DH lineup.

14. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone referring to Framber pitching. I'm like no way, he opens the season for us in 2 days.

Checked the lineup good to see Garcia on the bump.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Wow Julks and Salazar made the roster over Dirden and Lee.

Nook, No Worries and J.R. like this.
  16. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

Diaz is in

17. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Have been thinking about this for awhile. Glad their crappy defense caught up to them finally. IMO, 1-2 bad defensive players will usually not kill a team especially if you are elite or highly above average like the Astros. Phillies were playing with house money and finally lost it all in the Series.

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I somewhat get the Salazar over Lee reasoning, Maldy is gonna start most games and Diaz will get some starts as well. Probably wasn't gonna be a ton of PA available.

I'm legit shocked about Julks. I have to imagine their 40 man roster status had to play into it, a call has to be made on Corey Julks this season and we still have some time with Dirden.

Julks certainly has a jack of all trades master of none profile, hard to get too excited about him. However that doesn't mean he can't turn himself into a really good big leaguer, this is his chance. Because of his profile he probably isn't gonna get a lot of them.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Julks very well may not get a lot of big league opportunities, but he’s coming off a 30/20 season in AAA and he is a good defender in the corner OF who can play CF and 3B in a pinch. He has a really good combo of high floor and high ceiling.

Nook likes this.
  20. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I’m already having nightmares thinking of the 7-9 spots being any combo of myers Dubon and Maldonado. Throw in McCormick at 6 and/or Julks in the mix and that bottom of the lineup is gonna be hot garbage

Phillyrocket and Rockets FTW like this.