1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[Official] Spring Training Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 19, 2023.

1. SuraGotMadHops

Gonna go get da papers get da papers

2. SuraGotMadHops

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Surprising to hear Dusty thinks Dirden can play CF, unless he just means in a pinch. I don't think you want him out there regularly.

raining threes likes this.
  5. jayfree

jayfree Member

Their checking on Tucker's ankle to see who pays the Work Comp bill (WBC or the Astros) :)

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He must have a decent arm.

raining threes and rockbox like this.
  7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He can play CF. He may not be gold glove but he can hold his own. He has gold glove potential at the corners.

raining threes and right1 like this.
  8. Screaming Fist

is he that bad in CF? He has speed and an arm. Probably not the caliber of fielder of Meyers or McCormick but not chopped liver either.

It doesn’t appear xwOBA is available for Spring Training but notably Dirden and Peña each have a >.380 ISO and Dubon has a <.200 wOBA.

#1088 Screaming Fist, Mar 22, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2023
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

To one generation, Biggio is Astros baseball. To the next, Altuve has assumed the title. He embodies everything a franchise seeks in its face: an endearing and enthusiastic persona whose on-field excellence transcends eras. So few staples remain from the beginning of the Astros’ renaissance, teams that counted wins — not pennants — as precious currency.

“This is the only city I’ve played in the big leagues, the only team, and it feels good,” Altuve said this spring. “I think what made it more special when I got to the big leagues was losing a lot and then (going through) the process, the rebuild and not winning. It makes me think, well, I was here since they were losing, (so) I want to stay here now that we are winning.”

Sixty-five hits separate Altuve from 2,000. Even with the late start he'll get in 2023, he should collect them this season, adding another milestone to a career full of them. Biggio and fellow Hall of Famer Jeff Bagwell are the only other players to total 2,000 career hits in a Houston uniform. Injuries limited Bagwell to 14 full seasons. Biggio played 20, a goal Altuve acknowledged this spring he shares with his fellow second baseman.

“I'm 32, and I want to play to 40,” Altuve said. “I love what I'm doing right now. I love my game. I enjoy my game, … When I go out there and put my uniform on, I really enjoy playing with these guys. Hopefully, like Craig said, I can stay here for the rest of my career. Everybody knows it's not up to me. But (it’s) something I would love to (do).”

Altuve is not often authoritative, but he opened his 13th major league spring training with a rare pronouncement. Altuve said he hopes to "retire here,” reaffirming similar comments from first-year general manager Dana Brown.

The conversation put a timeline on a career few in this city can ever fathom ending. Altuve’s current contract expires after next season, during which he will turn 34. After he initially declined to speculate, a reminder of Justin Verlander’s pledge to pitch until he’s 45 prompted Altuve to consider whether he could join him.

“I'll say 40. Forty-five is a little aggressive,” Altuve said with a chuckle. “I think (playing until) 40 will be good. I’d take 39, 39-40.”

H-Town Info, right1 and Snake Diggit like this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

An extension covering his age 34-39 seasons (meaning he’d be 40 when the contract expired) should be pretty easy for Houston to work out next offseason, assuming Altuve comes back healthy and productive. Something like $150M/6yrs plus a few million a year in pa and award incentives would be my guess. By the end of the decade $25M/yr won’t be enough to hinder the franchise even if Altuve is a part time DH in those last 2-3 seasons.

J.R. likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

How many days until opening day?
    download (3).jpeg

Bregatron likes this.
  12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The closer the season gets, the more important I think Hensley and Meyers are going to be to Houston’s offense. Both of those guys are likely to be looking at 400+ pa, so they are essentially everyday players. Big opportunity for them to establish themselves as quality big leaguers who can fit on this roster long term.

I am very excited about the bullpen; it could be one of the best ever. I think Houston will be very reliant on Javier and Garcia to be among the top 70 pitchers in the league if they want a chance of repeating.

H-Town Info and Radricky like this.
  13. VanityHalfBlack

Who the *** watches spring training? Y’all got your little notepads to write down stats and numbers like a nerd hahah

14. Screaming Fist

notepads is boomer **** bruh

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I prefer legal pads

16. Screaming Fist

One nerdy thing about baseball fandom though that I've never understood are people who keep score on pen/paper at the game.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Back when I was single and before using smart phones a lot, I had considered doing this for games I would go to by myslef at the spur of the moment. I tried a couple of times, but it never took.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I know you have a lot of hope in Meyers... but its really tough to have any sort of expectation that he'll get that many PA based on his performance.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its pretty easy to do... and only makes sense or becomes a habit if you keep up with it.

While some are able to recap the game simply by looking at the box score, some are able to recap it by looking at their scorecard. Then others are relying on sportscenter... while some even still rely on the local news highlights.

20. SuraGotMadHops

These were the days, sitting at the breakfast table before school looking through our Chronicle that was delivered to our yard early in the morning.

[​IMG]