1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 19, 2023.

1. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I don't know where you getting I have "blind love" for Meyers?

Do you hear me spewing sweet nothings? Clamoring for him to lead off since Altuve is hurt?
    Or even play every day?

He is on the 40 man roster and has a proven track record as an MLB player, unlike Dirden.

He has 1.7 bWAR and 1.4 fWAR in about 2/3 of a full season, including being positive WAR in both seasons he has played.

Yes he was positive WAR by both metrics last year.

He is a player so I am suggesting he play vs LHP and split time with Chas vs RHP so Dirden can play vs RHP.

But again I don't see where you say I have "blind love" for him.
    Yes. Chas needs to play 100% vs LHP.

My hope is:

Vs LHP Chas and Meyers both play 100%

Vs RHP Dirden plays 100% and Chas/Meyers split time. And I am not saying 50-50. It could be 66-33 for Chas. He has earned a step above Meyers.

2. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I am surprised Gage was sent down.

I read the story and understand ( and agree with) the reasoning. Just thought he would be kept based on his performance, the conventional "need a lefty" thinking, and the extra bonus the Astros paid him to sign.

It also looks like the final pitching spot is between Seth Martinez and Brandon Bielak.

I think that Bielak needs to stay stretched out in AAA.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Looks like Tags thinks the Astros want Blanco as a long man until SPs are up to speed. Though with WBC, I think all the SPs are ready to go at least 5 with maybe the exception of Brown. With a bullpen of 8 and off days, I would think the long man would only be needed if the SP crapped the bed (i.e.., skill is optional for the long man). Hopefully, Dusty uses Blanco for longer stints to keep him stretched out if Blanco is up.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If the Astros think Blanco has potential as a real starter then I would hope they just let him get the starter reps in AAA to see if he can go 5 regularly.

Bielak and Martinez have both proven perfectly capable of being low leverage 2-4 inning mop up relievers. I don't think that would tell us much about Blanco if he were put in that role.

5. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Are we having fun yet?

6. Buck Turgidson

The pitcher is still a pitcher when he balks, he's a fielder when he commits a fielding error.

7. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

McCormick is the better CF too

8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Not according to baseball savant he isn't.

Nook likes this.
  9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I am a baseball savant

The Beard, punkoholic and marks0223 like this.
  10. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

And that is why you will always put him in CF. But we have already seen who is better. McCormick covers as much ground. Meyers is scared of the wall and has a way worse arm. Its a no brainer. Maybe Meyers comes in healthy and destroys it but until then he has a ton to prove and not just with the bat.

11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I must be watching different games than you. I know it's human nature to expect Jake to be scared of the wall but I have not seen that. Show me a video or give me a game to reference.

I love Chas and he is a better than average CF but in no world is he better than Meyers.

And yes his arm was better than Jake's last year but only barely and both were very below average.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Well, ****

J.R. likes this.
  14. ktex

ktex Member

This is why nobody ever repeats. :(

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Was fun while it lasted. Will be excited to see the haul of prospects Houston gets in July when they trade Tucker, Bregman, and Framber.

16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Had to do a double take at the end of that video wondering why Bryan Abreu was holding a bat.. so excited to see our new 1B!

17. Screaming Fist

At least we get to see Solis pitch. Also, maybe they now have no choice but to slot Blanco into the rotation.

Yordan The Great likes this.
  18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I would like to see us looking at the trade market to add a SP, even if it's a mid rotation to back end type. We already have Lance and likely Brown not ready for the start of the season. Look at all the intense innings Garcia and Javier pitched into November and then they ramped up to throw all out 3 months later for the WBC. At the very least we need to worry about how they will hold up innings wise as we get later in the season. I would treat those two with kid gloves during most of the mid part of the season to try and ensure they have something left in the tank for the playoffs

Would love to see Brown go get a veteran who can eat some innings at a 4 or so era

19. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

Is Odorizzi available?

20. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

He is actually in Texas' pen, and injured.