1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 19, 2023.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

“Houston will have a new opening day second baseman for the first time since 2011, too.”

Without looking, can you name that Astro?

Bill Hall
    [​IMG]

Michael Bourn CF
    Angel Sanchez SS
    Hunter Pence RF
    Carlos Lee LF
    Bill Hall 2B
    Chris Johnson 3B
    Brett Wallace 1B
    Humberto Quintero C
    Brett Myers P

[​IMG]

2. Yordan The Great

Opening day lineup

3B Bregman
    SS Pena
    1B Abreu
    RF Tucker
    2B Hensley
    DH Diaz
    CF McCormick
    LF Dubon
    C Maldonado

I feel good about Hensley producing enough for Altuve's absence not to be a significant blow.

Same with Diaz taking over for Brantley at DH.

Dubon or Dirden for Yordan is the big blow until be returns. That's the one we need back ASAP.

#1002 Yordan The Great, Mar 19, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  3. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

Altuve is going to miss a third of the season, so this isn't a short term injury. If you could get Kemp for someone like Paraedes, would that be too much?

IBTL likes this.
  4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

No Paredes wouldn't he too much. He clearly has been passed over on the bullpen depth chart and does not have a role on the team.

I also heard in the offseason that he wants a trade to get a fresh start and opportunity.

But I don't think Oakland trades one of their starting position players for a potential AAAA relief pitcher.

They would want a guy like Corey Julks or Grae Kessinger added to the deal. Someone who could be a replacement level player on the roster for 3+ years at very little cost

That's still not much, but considering the level of improvement Kemp brings it still may be better to let Hensley, Dubon, and Bannon cover 2B and just save the bullets.

5. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

I didn't think Kemp was their starter, so yeah I agree.

6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

He's listed as their starting 2B and #2 LF behind Seth Brown ( who is #2 1B and #2 RF behind J.J. Bleday who was optioned to minors) so Kemp definitely looks to be one of the top 9 position players for them.

7. Buck Turgidson

We'll see.

Not something I'd ever worry about in March

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...questions-to-answer-minus-altuve-17848398.php

[…]

Perhaps it portends a situation where Dubón faces lefthanded pitching and Hensley is in there against righties, but Baker has demonstrated during his tenure that he does not view numbers or splits as gospel.

The Astros view Dubón as a better defender at second base, and given the premium they place on defense, that could tip the scales in his favor.

Hensley might possess more offensive upside than Dubón, but he cannot match him in major league experience.

[…]

Five men not named Altuve batted leadoff last season for the Astros: Dubón, Chas McCormick, Jeremy Peña, Kyle Tucker and Jose Siri. Siri is now a Tampa Bay Ray, and it’s difficult to envision Baker hitting either Dubón or McCormick leadoff for an extended period. Most of the time, Baker slotted them there only as stopgaps who didn't interfere with the rest of his lineup.

Peña, Tucker and Alex Bregman are perhaps the three most ideal candidates to replace Altuve as Houston’s leadoff hitter. Baker has already insisted Michael Brantley will hit second when he’s healthy, so hitting Tucker — another lefthanded hitter — above him would run counter to Baker’s desire for balance.

If the decision is between Peña and Bregman, it might come down to preference. Bregman is an on-base machine with one of the team’s best eyes. He is also a better, more established hitter than Peña. Ensuring one of the team’s best hitters gets the most at-bats in a game should be a priority.

Bregman drove in 93 runs last season. Only Tucker and Yordan Alvarez chased in more. Keeping Bregman lower in the batting order might give him more chances with runners aboard, situations in which he excels.

Peña is a free swinger with power to change the scoreboard with one swing. Sound familiar?

Baker batted Peña leadoff eight times last season. Hitting him there in Altuve’s absence could allow Peña to see more fastballs, against which he hit .285 and slugged .467 last year. Peña led off Sunday in the first lineup since Altuve’s injury. Could that continue?

“Possibly,” Baker said.

[…]

Non-roster invitee Dixon Machado has started 72 major league games at second base and drawn rave reviews for his defense this spring. He also has a .577 OPS in 522 career big league plate appearances. His minor league numbers aren’t much better — just a .672 mark across 11 seasons.

If the Astros want nothing more than a defensive insurance policy behind Dubón and Hensley, Machado makes sense, but it’s difficult to envision Houston carrying such a subpar offensive player for the entirety of Altuve’s absence.

Using Hensley more at second base could deprive Baker of his backup first baseman. Perhaps it opens a spot for J.J. Matijevic or Bligh Madris to crack the opening-day roster. Both hit lefthanded, offering balance to a bench that needs it.

Adding Justin Dirden could accomplish the same goal. Dirden hits lefthanded and is not on Houston’s 40-man roster, but he continued his breakout spring with a well-struck double Sunday afternoon. He is now 7-for-20 in Grapefruit League play with four walks and seven strikeouts.

Dirden is solely an outfielder with just 32 games above Class AA, but he might hit his way onto the opening-day roster. When last week began, it seemed feasible for Dirden to crack it only if Alvarez and Brantley both started the season on the injured list. Now, it’s almost difficult to envision leaving Dirden off.

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Tweaked ankle you can recover relatively easily from. Broken hand, not so much. Sucks still, but he'll be fine.

11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Damn that opening lineup is ass. Christ.

12. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I'm thinking:

Bregman 3B
    Pena SS
    Alvarez DH
    Abreu 1B
    Tucker RF
    McCormick LF
    Hensley 2B
    Meyers CF
    Maldonado C

No Worries and IBTL like this.
  13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Better. I hope Alvarez will be mostly OK. Ay yi yi yi.

14. Bregatron

Bregatron Member

Why are people concerned about Dubon starting at 2B? We all know he will be the starting CF. :p

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

"Like...what are you gonna do now? What do I mean? I mean...you pissed on my rug. And, now with Altuve...man...dude. This will not stand, man!"
    [​IMG]

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Peña ss
    Bregman 3B
    Abreu 1B
    Diaz DH
    McCormick LF
    Hensley 2B
    Meyers CF
    Dubon RF
    Maldanado C

18. Yordan The Great

I don't see Alvarez ready for opening day.

I hope I'm wrong.

19. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I actually think he starts opening day. Maybe some rust but no IL or games missed.

For Tucker either. Brantley on 10 day IL

20. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Ok. This is enough. We have had our fair share of injuries. That’s it. No more please. Wrap them in bubble rap until the games count for something.
    Maybe we are getting all the bad juju out here at the beginning of the season.

And to all the numbnuts that keep saying “that’s what you get for cheating”. Grow up. Stop being butt hurt that our boys wasted your boys in 2017 and 2022. Thinking it is ok that a player gets a broken bone simply confirms that you are an excuse for a human.