1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 19, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I haven't heard a whole lot, a lot of attention has been paid by the organization to pitching depth and injuries this spring.

I have heard that the pitching coach duo is cautiously optimistic about Whitley helping them this season, probably in the rotation.... and Jayden Murray looks like someone that can start as well for the Astros.

As for the other side of the game (hitting), everyone knows about Justin Dirden but David Hensley has been the guy that has raised some eyebrows. He has been a far better athlete than they expected for a guy his size, and he has shown a lot of power in BP and some in game. He also has been aggressive on the bases.

As for catching, I haven't heard anything negative about either of them. I did hear that some of the coaches are really impressed with how Diaz can swing the bat.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It's interesting that he has never hit more than 10 homeruns in any season and all of sudden hits 2 in 4 games during spring training. I wonder if he had that JD Martinez moment and changed his swing path or decided to take the weight room more seriously.

Edit: It looks like he starting hitting the weights during the pandemic.

https://theathletic.com/3684591/2022/10/12/astros-david-hensley-alds/

#882 rockbox, Mar 13, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
  3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Yup... I'm liking Hensley more and more. He has another hit in his 1st AB today

Kessinger also just hit a HR.

Infield depth is looking better with Wagner, Hensley, and Kessinger having nice spring trainings.

Nook and Snake Diggit like this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Look out for Grae Kessinger. He has a chance to be a good player.

Nook likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, they also messed some with his launch angle. I am a little concerned about the possible increase in strikeouts, but with his frame and waist, he is certainly capable of being an above average homerun hitter.

rockbox likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

His story is so bizarre.

He was a guy some scouts liked late in round 1, and the Astros took him in round 2.

I thought he was an interesting choice to take that high, but I figured he was a possible Correa replacement.

His bat in college was good, but nothing exciting and then in the minors he really didn't do much with the bat.

Last year he started showing some signs of power, but I still wrote it off because he was in his mid 20's and still didn't show me anything that led me to believe he was even going to be a long term utility guy - he was close to a non-prospect.

Then there was some mutterings about the player development guys liking him and there was some buzz around him like there had been around Chas, Pena and Meyers.... but I didn't see it.

Now there are some saying he has looked the best out of all the players in the Spring according to other players.

I still don't know what to expect out of him with a batting average barely over 200 the last couple of seasons, but several people with the Astros seem to really believe in him.

7. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I get late blooming DJ LaMahieu vibes from Hensley. Able to play all over the field. Already good plate discipline and will eventually learn how to add pop to all parts of the field. At least that is the hope. Hensley should definitely be a given a big chance to start the season as a super utility player to see what he can do.

Excited for one or both of Lee/ Diaz to step up and show some promise for the catcher position. Good to see we have some position depth that can hopefully contribute sooner rather than later as we almost ran out of depth in the playoffs last season not able to produce a productive DH. Don't want to repeat that ever again. The hiatus during covid really slowed down a lot of development and scouting but lots of players starting to show their true colors in 2022 and the Spring so far.

cmoak1982, King1 and Snake Diggit like this.
  8. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

are the Astros being broadcasted on any networks during Spring Training? Or is that just not how ST games work?

9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

King1 and IBTL like this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

LeMahieu is a very good comp for Hensley’s ceiling.

King1 likes this.
  11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

nice BP by Torres this inning.

12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. AkeemTheDreem86

Non sequitur much?

15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

No, it's true actually :).

16. AkeemTheDreem86

Whether it's true or not is another non sequitur... Maybe you should look up what that means.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe you can just shut the **** up.

18. AkeemTheDreem86

Maybe so, maybe not.

Let me help you out. What does a country "firing grenades and Rockets" have to do with their participation in a baseball tournament?

clos4life and Yordan The Great like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Let us give thanks to the Lord.